New log splitter

/ New log splitter #21  
Another Honda lemon. I'm pretty sure these are the only two I've heard of.
Let me add a third.
I have a honda 2000watt converter that starts first pull every time......IF I use it every day.
Let it sit for a month and it takes at least a dozen pulls.
It took 17 pulls last week after sitting covered in a heated garage since last September.

/ New log splitter #22  
Let me add a third.
I have a honda 2000watt converter that starts first pull every time......IF I use it every day.
Let it sit for a month and it takes at least a dozen pulls.
It took 17 pulls last week after sitting covered in a heated garage since last September.
I have the very same issue with my Honda 2000, now it doesn’t want to idle down with no load. No ethanol gas and Sea Foam added.

/ New log splitter
Take a look at the Harbor Freight 2 way splitter. I have the Northern Tool version which is no longer sold. The cylinder is below the work area, so it splits both ways, no retract stroke needed. I had a dual direction 4 way head made for mine which really increases productivity. Mine is a Powerhorse engine and always starts on first or second pull, even after sitting for months. I’ve heard good things about HF’s Predator engines.

I looked closely at that splitter. It's a good design; my only beef with it is the height. It's a bit low, which is hard on the back. I've seen workarounds (blocks under wheels). If it had been on sale, and/or carried in the HF retail store, I probably would have bought it.

I replaced a B&S 6.5 on my Husqvarna tiller with a similar Predator. Runs great. Wouldn't hesitate to use one again.

/ New log splitter #25  
This afternoon, bought the TSC County Line 25 ton splitter, along with the optional 4 way wedge and the log cradle.
Not sure I'd want a 4-way wedge. Yeah it might be a little quicker on some pieces, but not every piece needs to be quartered, and some larger ones need more. Seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth unless everything is within a certain diameter range.

/ New log splitter #26  
I just bought the Countyline 25 ton splitter from TSC today. The price on my IPAD browser says $999.99. When I was in the area of the TSC I checked to make sure they had one in stock and the price was now $1099.99. I figured bad timing, it went up $100. When I went inside the store the employee looked it up and it was $999.99. Same SKU # but $100 more on my mobile phone.

I am glad I didn’t prepay for it before I got to the store.

It was in the crate but the employee said he would assemble it real quick so opted to have him do it.

Last edited:
   / New log splitter #27  
I just looked at another log splitter from TSC - Countyline 30 ton. $1,499.99 on my IPAD browser and $1,699.99 on my phone browser. Same manufacturer part number YLT-016-926.

/ New log splitter #28  
I just looked at another log splitter from TSC - Countyline 30 ton. $1,499.99 on my IPAD browser and $1,699.99 on my phone browser. Same manufacturer part number YLT-016-926.
I've noticed prices can vary from the 3 TSC stores near me. So I check all 3 before I commit to a larger purchase.

/ New log splitter #29  
I've been looking at log splitters, but haven't decided what to do yet so I stopped in at Northern Tools today and looked at their log splitters. They had a really massive one rated at 37 tons. 8 bolts on each side of the slide. Heavy duty beam, large diameter cylinder. I looked more closely and am now confused, so help me out here and tell me what I'm missing:

The cylinder is 4.5" diameter, so 15.9 sq in of surface. Couldn't find the spec for the pressure, but the high pressure hose was rated for 4000 psi, meaning the actual pressure is probably a little less, but I'll use 4000.

Thus 15.9 times 4000 = 63,600# = 31.8 tons.

Where are they getting the 37 tons (74,000#)? The pressure would have to be 74,000/15.9=4654 psi. That's an over pressure of the hose by 15%. What am I missing?
Unfortunately, that's rather common in the log splitter world. I'm not sure how they get away with it, but in years past when I was shopping, I saw more splitters with exaggerated ratings than I did with honest ones. If I had to guess, I'd bet the pressure is below 4000 PSI. Probably 3500 PSI max.

/ New log splitter #30  
I have a briggs and Stratton portable generator that starts within 1 to 2 pulls every time. I have a Honda pressure washer that needs 10-12 pulls. Both used about same amount of time. Same age, same maintenance. You tell me