New log splitter

/ New log splitter #11  
TSC splitters are some of the best on the market right now. A step above the stuff Lowes/HD sells (which tend to be Troy-Bilt clones).

We ran out of firewood about 5 years ago, so I went crazy and stocked up. Then we had several mild winters in a row. This year was sort of normal except no real severe cold snaps.

Next year I will finally be getting into the major stash. By then it will have been seasoned 3 years!

/ New log splitter #12  
Still heating with wood after 40+years and hand split my firewood up till about 10 years ago.
I enjoyed the quiet work and the exercise but my body finally told me otherwise so I bought a 16 ton electric Ramsplitter w/ 4way wedge run on 220 volts. Not silent but also not loud and no fumes. A win win win right?
Yes and no. It will split all but the most twisted, knotty logs but over the 10 years, I basically had to have all the structural members rebuilt properly after the splitter knocked itself apart.
The splitter wedge carriage is poorly designed and traps slices of wood between the wedge and the beam and actually has bent the 1/2" thick steel wedge base, stretched and then broken the bolts that hold the wedge carriage guides.
No regrets about buying it as the power and the quiet running is why I chose it.
Pic is a factory photo, apparently they have discontinued that model; I wonder why:unsure:

Attachments

• ram.png
    ram.png
    385.7 KB · Views: 80
   / New log splitter #13  
I've been looking at log splitters, but haven't decided what to do yet so I stopped in at Northern Tools today and looked at their log splitters. They had a really massive one rated at 37 tons. 8 bolts on each side of the slide. Heavy duty beam, large diameter cylinder. I looked more closely and am now confused, so help me out here and tell me what I'm missing:

The cylinder is 4.5" diameter, so 15.9 sq in of surface. Couldn't find the spec for the pressure, but the high pressure hose was rated for 4000 psi, meaning the actual pressure is probably a little less, but I'll use 4000.

Thus 15.9 times 4000 = 63,600# = 31.8 tons.

Where are they getting the 37 tons (74,000#)? The pressure would have to be 74,000/15.9=4654 psi. That's an over pressure of the hose by 15%. What am I missing?

/ New log splitter
I agree 1000%. Curious - why is their stuff so good? Better carbs?

MoKelly

Originally, design. But those designs have been copied. Now, I'd say it's experience and quality control.

It's one thing to have good designs. It's another to be able to produce them consistently, year in, year out, so that the end user gets the intended benefit and the brean reputation is preserved.

/ New log splitter #15  
I've been looking at log splitters, but haven't decided what to do yet so I stopped in at Northern Tools today and looked at their log splitters. They had a really massive one rated at 37 tons. 8 bolts on each side of the slide. Heavy duty beam, large diameter cylinder. I looked more closely and am now confused, so help me out here and tell me what I'm missing:

The cylinder is 4.5" diameter, so 15.9 sq in of surface. Couldn't find the spec for the pressure, but the high pressure hose was rated for 4000 psi, meaning the actual pressure is probably a little less, but I'll use 4000.

Thus 15.9 times 4000 = 63,600# = 31.8 tons.

Where are they getting the 37 tons (74,000#)? The pressure would have to be 74,000/15.9=4654 psi. That's an over pressure of the hose by 15%. What am I missing?
Yeah, that sounds a bit over rated. I have a Northern Tool splitter trailer mounted. It uses a 6" cylinder. NT calls it 42T. Using your equation, 3.14 x 9 x 4000 = 113,400 = 56.52T. If I lower the pressure to a more realistic figure, 3.14 x 9 x 3000 = 84,780 = 42.39T.

/ New log splitter #16  
Originally, design. But those designs have been copied. Now, I'd say it's experience and quality control.

It's one thing to have good designs. It's another to be able to produce them consistently, year in, year out, so that the end user gets the intended benefit and the brean reputation is preserved.
I agree. I think oaktree got a fluke.

/ New log splitter #17  
Everyone says Honda small engines are great, but I only have one and it's a lemon. It's on a push mower that doesn't get a lot of use. After a few years, I had to replace the carb to get it to run smooth. Now it leaks oil but not quite bad enough to tear it apart. On the other hand, the 10 year old Briggs on my Cyclone Rake and the 25 year old Tecumseh on my snowblower are in great shape and always start on the first pull.

/ New log splitter #18  
Everyone says Honda small engines are great, but I only have one and it's a lemon. It's on a push mower that doesn't get a lot of use. After a few years, I had to replace the carb to get it to run smooth. Now it leaks oil but not quite bad enough to tear it apart. On the other hand, the 10 year old Briggs on my Cyclone Rake and the 25 year old Tecumseh on my snowblower are in great shape and always start on the first pull.
Another Honda lemon. I'm pretty sure these are the only two I've heard of.

/ New log splitter #19  

I am exactly the opposite. I have a 18 year old pressure washer, 13 year old push mower and 26 year old edger all with Honda engines. Still start and the engine works perfectly.

Perhaps newer Honda’s aren’t as good but mine are golden.

MoKelly

/ New log splitter #20  
Take a look at the Harbor Freight 2 way splitter. I have the Northern Tool version which is no longer sold. The cylinder is below the work area, so it splits both ways, no retract stroke needed. I had a dual direction 4 way head made for mine which really increases productivity. Mine is a Powerhorse engine and always starts on first or second pull, even after sitting for months. I’ve heard good things about HF’s Predator engines.
IMG_1903.JPG