New Pole Barn Started

/ New Pole Barn Started #81  
Our Shop is Light Stone with Charcoal gray roof and wainscoat. My wife picked the colors. I wanted barn red/charcoal. The other day we were driving up the road toward our buildings and she asked how hard it would be to change the Light Stone to Barn Red...... So,,,, I have a project for next Spring.... :eek:

Reside or paint? Jon

/ New Pole Barn Started #82  
Reside or paint? Jon

Reside will cost $3K. Relatively easy to do. Reproduce each piece including drilling the screw holes. I think I could do it by myself in a week.

Paint will cost $700. Very labor intensive. Scrubbing, cleaning, etching so the paint will stick. A LOT of brush work if done that way. Might be easier to spray. Spray method will require a LOT of masking and covering with plastic.

I'm concerned about long term with paint. Will it start coming off around screws, etc.? I've never done it so don't have experience.

Today I think I'd reside. Then repurpose the removed color on something else or even sell it.

/ New Pole Barn Started #83  
I have "Light stone " with a "clay" wainscoting, but the corners, soffit/fascia and all the doors are too. That would a major job for me.

/ New Pole Barn Started
Well winter is here with a vengeance. Expecting 16-18" of snow tonight and tomorrow morning. We did not get a break in the weather to pour the concrete floor, so the pole barn progress is on hold until Spring. Very disappointed, but such is life.

We did level out that parking area on the south side of the barn this past week. Brought in 32 yards of fill to raise it up 18" or so and then 10 yards of 1 1/4" crushed gravel for the top coat, about 3" deep. We moved my father-in-law's RV to its new spot. Much better than being right in front of the house which is where it has been for 2 months. Once the barn is complete, we will add a 28x32 lean to shed over the parking area and have two 12x32 covered parking spots for a growing fleet of trailers plus a 4x32 covered space at the end for firewood which I store in IBC cages.

Parking 1.jpeg

Parking 2.jpeg

Parking 3.jpeg

Parking 4.jpeg

/ New Pole Barn Started #85  
Disappointed that the weather has stopped progress on your barn.

/ New Pole Barn Started #86  
Every building I’ve built was done in the winter.

/ New Pole Barn Started
Buckeye, what's your trick to pouring concrete below freezing? That's what is stopping me from continuing my build. Right now the barn has 5-6" of snow on the inside and 12" outside. Of course, we are getting 2-3" of rain tomorrow and Christmas with temps in the 50's so maybe the snow will be gone, but we are back in the 20's-30's so we will be stuck with ice! Gotta love New England weather.

/ New Pole Barn Started #88  
My barn slab was poured in summer 2-3 yrs after the barn was built. House foundation and slab poured in winter, probably above freezing temps. They did put calcium in basement slab when poured because of the cold.
Garage slab poured in fall, built on top in winter.
20030217_MD_Garage_009.jpeg
20030217_MD_Garage_032.jpeg

I want to add lean to on side of my barn for the camper.

/ New Pole Barn Started #89  
A concrete expert can tailor the mix and do some math regarding temperature swings in order to make a pour safe. And in marginal situations, you can blanket the top of the slab for extra insurance. There are even electric blankets to regulate the temperature if needed.

My dad was a builder in CT during the 70s, 80s, 90s, and they did a fair bit of concrete work during the winter. I want to say it was about the same amount of hassle as working around summer thunderstorms here in VA.

/ New Pole Barn Started
Tomorrow is concrete day. It’ll be 45 at 7am and a high of 65 tomorrow. 19 yards, two cement trucks. Pouring the 30x40 floor and two aprons for the overhead doors and a people door. Once the floor cures we will get the remaining 3 walls up and finish the barn. Can’t wait!