New Purchase

/ New Purchase #101  
I wish I knew about this site when I bought my tractor, but I wasn't looking for a tractor. I have 1.6 ac on a hill with a dirt bike track. I was looking for something to mow it since I flood almost every year and by the time the water goes down the grass is 5ft tall. Well I listened to the JD dealer I was at and said I only needed their 1023 tractor. Well I like having a tractor but it's under powered and dangerous for my yard. Many a time I have had tires up in the air. I use the brush cutter as counter balance. I only travel with dirt in the bucket a foot or two off the ground. It also does not have the power to move existing dirt/clay/rocks. I hit the mound and it stops me dead. Not enough weight or power. My 23hp mini needs to be closer to 45-50 hp. Mowing the 5ft grass clogs and stops my PTO.

You have an idea what you need a tractor to do but once you have it you will be surprised how many other projects will pop up including neighbors yards. I'm up to 3 yards mowing. Don't forget the wife saying now that you have a tractor can you do this...... for me.

Attachments

• CAM00067.jpg
    CAM00067.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 326[1].jpeg
    326[1].jpeg
    707.4 KB · Views: 76
   / New Purchase #102  
I use an L3010 with FEL to take care of, effectively, 8 acres. I own 14 acres but rent 6 of them to a farmer who keeps them in crops. This area is becoming “suburbanized” and I don’t know how much longer he is going to be farming so I kept that in the back of my mind when buying the tractor (used).

I couldn’t imagine running a loader and a mid-mount belly mower. The only time that I would run a belly mower is if I could dedicate a tractor to it. Taking one on and off, or taking the loader on and off is a PITA. I’d go with a rear mount finish mower or bush hog, your choice. Pick up a little 20 HP or so riding tractor to clean up where the Kubota can’t go and you’re set.
For the Kubota, HST is the way to go. Anybody can drive it, including your wife.

/ New Purchase #103  
Ok, tried to address all of the above comments. I appreciate the feedback.

Location is Saint Helens Oregon. Elevation is around 350' but we get some wind coming up the valley from the coast so snow is more than normal for Western Oregon. Still, even with that, It'll likely be less than a foot at any one time. I need a small capability just to clear the steep gravel driveway enough so our 4WD vehicles can make up and down safely. Not sure if that means a snow blower or just a blade.

Money is flexible. I can afford whatever I decide on, but it's only six acres, no need to go crazy. I'd prefer to finance rather than pay cash for such a large purchase. My day job is incredibly busy so I'm planning to buy all new. I don't have a lot of time to spend wrenching on something used, at least not right away.

So far I think I need for sure an FEL, a mid-mount mower and a grader. I think a backhoe would be very useful, but not mandatory. PHD can probably wait. Given the amount of work I plan for what is essentially a hobby farm I think I can do without the cab and just get a canopy, rain being the most common weather issue. Not sure if I need a front blade, back blade or both.

I'm sure I could sign up for one or more horse associations in order to get the discount, not sure if that's the right approach or not given that it seems to impact the financing and warranty. Still, online reports seem to suggest a possible savings of 5%-10% over standard dealer incentive.

If I had a bigger place I'd probably get an L series, but I do need mower capability and it seems silly to go with a rotary cutter just for my 2 acres worth that aren't horse pature. I'm not sure I really need something that large. Frankly, if I didn't need to move a ton of gravel and grade the road I might try and get by with just a riding lawn mower, even though all the other tractor features will be handy for sure.

The local Kubota dealer is in town, so just down the road 10min or so. There are other dealers 45min-1hour away but it doesn't seem like it's worth that drive unless it turns out I don't like the dealer.

No need to work with roll hay, honestly I wasn't even aware they had any horse grade hay that came in rolls, the only roll hay I've seen is for cattle. We work exclusively with bales, preferably the 60lb granny bales so my Wife can move them around. We get about 350 bales a year for our two warmbloods, but will get more than that this year as we're going to be doing boarding for one other horse. Still, that's usually delivered and sitting in the barn, not a huge need to move it around much. That said, with the driveway we may not be able to get delivery as easily as both and may need to transport it here on a flatbed ourselves. I don't think I'll be buying anything big enough to move fully stacked pallets.

Local dealer apparently has some B2601s and an LX2610 in stock so I'm going to be looking at those likely this weekend to see if either would meet my needs. I suspect the bx23s is probably too small given the hilly terrain and the L series is likely more tractor than I need though I'll look at it while I'm there if he has any. Originally I was thinking an LX3310 might be a good choice but I'm sure if I need that or not.
Round bale of horse quality is much cheaper and for me, easier to find. Even though Kubota dealer was closer to me, price and the 10 year warranty was enough to steer me to Yanmar. Hay spike for moving a round bale is the least expensive item you will buy for your tractor

/ New Purchase #104  
100% agree. I had a mid mount mower on a small Kubota year ago. Never again. You never want to bother taking it on or off, then it gets in the way of actual tractor work.

I have a 7' finish mower with my current tractor, but I rarely use it. We got a zero-turn which is faster than the finish mower and I can mow without worrying about ruts if the ground is still a bit damp. I would've sold the finish mower, but we bumped ourselves up to 55 acres from 7, so I don't mind keeping it in the attachment collection now.

I love my finish mower and don’t care if it takes me longer to mow. I get to sit in the AC, on an air ride seat, out of the dust listening to the stereo. When it’s 100 degrees outside I’m feeling pretty good in my cab.

It’s all about priorities! LOL. Seriously though the cab is the only way I’d ever go now after having both. Keeps limbs off you, yellowjackets and ground bees off you and it keeps the dust and grime off you when mowing several acres. I am spoiled now that I’ve used a cab model for the last 2 years.

Last edited:
   / New Purchase #105  
I've recently purchased a six acre horse property. Previously we were at boarding facilities but now with our own land I'm going to need equipment in order to take care of the numerous other property maintenance tasks. Definitely not something I want to try and handle with a push mower, wheelbarrow and a shovel, heh. The property is on a hillside with about a 200' elevation change from bottom to top, so there is some slope to work with though it's nothing too serious. Rough guess and an online calculator says 17 Degrees but I'm not sure it's actually quite that bad, that's likely worst case. I'm a first time tractor buyer and it looks like the only close tractor dealer is Kubota. I've done some preliminary research online as well as talking to the contractor who put in our perimeter fence about what kind of equipment to buy but I'd like to get opinions from you folks. Deciding between a BX, B, LX or L series tractor isn't an easy choice. I've tried to lay out everything in terms of capabilities:

NEEDS
1. Mowing all the non-pasture areas, maybe 2 Acres worth. Possibly also some pasture mowing if they sit too long unused.
2. Moving gravel. We have decent drainage since we're on a hill but it's Western Oregon and we get a lot of rain. Add in big horses and you get mud.
3. Maintaining the steep gravel driveway. Need to smooth out ruts and keep it drivable.
4. Some ability to deal with snow so we can get in and out of here in the winter. We don't get a ton of it, but it's enough I need at least some capability.

WANTS
5. Ability to level areas and maintain walkways for the horses.
6. Some digging capability would be nice for drainage work, planting trees, etc.
7. Ability to deal with stumps or large rocks

OPTIONAL
8. Ability to drag the Outdoor Arena
9. Likely need to be able to drag a horse shelter to a new spot, though we could rent / pay someone as that is an infrequent task.
10. No woodlot but we do have fruit trees so there are maintenance tasks in terms of planting, pruning, etc.
11. Digging post holes for fencing. Our current setup is good and I could hire this out, but it would be handy.
12. A wood chipper to deal with tree limbs and other wood waste.

Hopefully that's enough info to get the conversation started.
best and cheapest option would be to get rid of the horses

/ New Purchase #106  
I wish I knew about this site when I bought my tractor, but I wasn't looking for a tractor. I have 1.6 ac on a hill with a dirt bike track. I was looking for something to mow it since I flood almost every year and by the time the water goes down the grass is 5ft tall. Well I listened to the JD dealer I was at and said I only needed their 1023 tractor. Well I like having a tractor but it's under powered and dangerous for my yard. Many a time I have had tires up in the air. I use the brush cutter as counter balance. I only travel with dirt in the bucket a foot or two off the ground. It also does not have the power to move existing dirt/clay/rocks. I hit the mound and it stops me dead. Not enough weight or power. My 23hp mini needs to be closer to 45-50 hp. Mowing the 5ft grass clogs and stops my PTO.

You have an idea what you need a tractor to do but once you have it you will be surprised how many other projects will pop up including neighbors yards. I'm up to 3 yards mowing. Don't forget the wife saying now that you have a tractor can you do this...... for me.
Do you have a toothbar for your FEL?
I have Diabase in the dirt (iron rock) that would stop me dead.
Got a toothbar and now can plow right through it.

/ New Purchase #107  
I have a cousin who has farmed all his life. He bought a used tractor that had been specially made for the highway department for right of way mowing that had unusually wide spacing and was lower to the ground that most other tractors. So he's out spraying his hillside pasture with this tractor, and then the axle broke on the spray rig. The shifting weight was enough to send his tractor rolling down the hill. He got air flighted to the nearest critical care center...had a rough recovery.

Tractors and hillsides need to be treated carefully. Even then, things can go badly wrong.

/ New Purchase #108  
I love my finish mower and don’t care if it takes me longer to mow. I get to sit in the AC, on an air ride seat, out of the dust listening to the stereo. When it’s 100 degrees outside I’m feeling pretty good in my cab.
Another good thing about the Toolcat is having the 6' finish mower out front:
PA080002.JPG
PA080005.JPG

The view from the seat in the air conditioned cab:
P7030005.JPG

Last edited: