New to me 226D

/ New to me 226D
Finally got a chance to work on the 226D today. Fixed the 4wd drop box and got the clutch installed. Also replaced the release bearing, pilot bushing, and front driveline tube. I’m just incredibly happy it’s starting to look like a tractor again.

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

/ New to me 226D
Making more progress!

Installed the rebuilt injectors / Injection pump
IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

New valve cover o-ring
IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

Hydraulic pump hooked back up and exhaust manifold and new muffler installed
IMG_0381.JPG

Looking more and more like a tractor each day. Still have a lot to do but progress is progress.
IMG_0382.JPG

/ New to me 226D
Finally got the 226D back out of the shop for a wash! Now that a lot of the dirt and grime is off I can freshen up some of the black paint before this thing starts going back together.

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

/ New to me 226D
More progress today!

Freshened up the black paint
IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

Got the fenders back on
IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

The wiring was badly chafed and the plugs were very brittle but I think I’ve got the wiring about dialed in.
IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

/ New to me 226D
The brushcat on the skidsteer lost a seal on the gearbox yesterday so a short day of work meant an afternoon to work on the 226D. Reassembled the dash assembly:

IMG_0454.JPG

I was missing the red lenses for the dummy lights so I took one of the small red door lenses found in a 99-07 XL superduty door and cut them down to fit the Yanmar. Not quite factory but they fill the hole to protect the dummy lights. I did order one of the OEM Yanmar lenses but won’t have it for at least a month..

IMG_0453.JPG

Also got my new tachometer cable in, all new fuel lines, bled the fuel system to the injection pump, got the wiring all back in after repairing a bunch of chafed wiring and crumbling plugs, and made a safety jumper plug since I still need to go through the wiring for the clutch /pto safety / flashing light harness.

After about 15 seconds of cranking it fired right up! Of course now I was scrambling to get stuff out of the way so I could drive it out of the shop to try it out. Everything seems to work, I had to adjust the fuel linkage to kill the engine but at the top end after 2600 rpm it acts like it’s hitting rev limiter. When I pulled the injection pump it had no shims so I installed a couple when reinstalling it as a baseline. The manual described the shims as a 1* adjustment to the timing based on a timing mark on the front cover and crankshaft but it required the system to be primed to see when fuel was injected on cyl 1 to determine if shims needed to be added or removed. These marks are near impossible to see with the radiator installed so I’m probably gonna cross that bridge when I get a new radiator.

On another note when I push in the clutch pedal I get a clicking sound like the pto overrunning clutch but it does it whether the pto is engaged or not. Is this normal? My 186D only did that when the pto was engaged.

Also, when you use the power shift lever there’s a 2-3 second delay to shift from 1/2/3 and it’s a soft shift like it’s struggling to build pressure. My 186D was firm shifting, maybe the hydraulic screen is plugged on this 226D or the valve body needs resealed, or even a weak hydraulic pump. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m sure I’m sounding picky but hopefully I can get this thing perfect. 🤞🏼

Here’s some obligatory pictures of the 226D on its maiden voyage out of the shop:

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

/ New to me 226D
Decided to clean up the grill a bit today:

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

Also ran some new battery cables and routed them a bit better than they were to better protect them since yesterday the positive battery cable ended up in the crankshaft. Now the cables are much safer and tucked out of harms way.

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

The plug for the headlight harness literally crumbled on my hands so I unpinned the connector and robbed the plastic connector off of the bad voltage regulator from my old 186D. Perfect fit. I installed new headlights and LED bulbs (eBay specials) along with a new horn. Everything works great!

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

Of course I had to hook up the finish mower and take it for a spin. I did also install an SMV sign , 3 new suitcase weights (need to get 1 more), and new orange flashing lights which I gotta finish wiring. Overall I love this tractor, it handles the mower extremely well and seems to have plenty of power.

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

/ New to me 226D #57  
Is the replacement horn a 70s Datsun aftermarket type? It's the original sound of these Yanmars. :)

/ New to me 226D
   / New to me 226D #59  
What part no./item no. did you use for the LED headlight bulbs?