New to me a used skid steer advice

/ New to me a used skid steer advice #1  

kwbretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 485, John Deere 5425, & John Deere Skid Steer 333D
I have been researching used skid steers for use at my house and farm.

Requirements: < 1500 hours, enclosed cab, tracked machine, self leveling bucket, 10,000 weight.
I’ve been looking on craigs list in surrounding states, MachineryTrader, Equipment Trader. Budget around $35,000. What are the better brands? I’ve looked ar so many, I’ve got all confused.

I will need to spread top soil at my new house which includes driving over the field drains in the front yard. I will also be using it on the farm to bring round bails of hay for some cows (future), clearing trails through the woods, cleaning up brush piles & I’m sure a lot more things will pop up needing attention.

KWBRETIRED

/ New to me a used skid steer advice #2  
You might have a nose about over at Skidsteer Forum in the CTL Bobcat and other sections. One of the biggest complaints is with the electronics driving the hand controls, as well as the typical safety interlocks that plague all of the newer stuff.
Whatever you end up with, make sure there is local support for parts and service; getting a good deal on something that noone knows anything about when it goes pear shaped can be frustrating.

/ New to me a used skid steer advice #3  
Given your desired specs and budget I’d expect most candidates that meet all or most would be pretty well hammered or rentals taken out of service which usually amounts to the same thing.

/ New to me a used skid steer advice
I’ll check out the skidsteerforum & see what l can find out.
I know with my budget I’m not going to get a good looking machine, just want it to be mechanically sound. At least with a machine that is already scratched up l don’t have to worry abut that as much . I just don’t know which is the better brand. I have a case, john deer, kubota, & cat dealers all within 1 to 1.5 hours away. I’ve also been looking at the Takeuchi (TL8 & TL10) machines.
The reason for wanting a tracked skid steer is because of the dirt that has to be spread in my front yard where the field drains are buried about 8” down. I also think the skid steer wil be more stable on hills, l get real nervous on a tractor on the side of a hill.

/ New to me a used skid steer advice #5  
I looked at a bunch of New Holland C237s and Kubota SVL95-2Cs on a couple different sites. You are $10- $15K short of touching anything in that class with a cab, tracks and 1500 hours. You are essentially looking for 50% and more depreciation in 1500 hours and that simply will not happen often without a LARGE compromise in condition that may include mechanical soundness.
Takeuchi will probably be your best bang for the buck. I hear great things about them and they do not carry the cachet of Deere, Cat, ASV or even Kubota.

Last edited:
   / New to me a used skid steer advice #6  
To bad you are 1/2 way across the country...I'd sell you my 600 hour Cat 246, but if I were you I would look at Machinery Trader, with 35k burning a hole in your pocket...you can spend it there pretty easily.

/ New to me a used skid steer advice #7  
Contractors are running cats here.
I've watched various hourly "general labor" guys run them past design intent.
Only time I've seen a mechanic work on one was oil and filter changes.
Same crew, same jobsite since May 2019.

I'd try to find a cat.

/ New to me a used skid steer advice
I’m going to look at a 2013 john deer 333d Sunday. It has more hours than l wanted (2500) but it has all the options l had wanted. The tracks, undercarriage & sprokets were replaced about 400 ago. Comes with 4 in 1 bucket & forks. Owner uned it to straighten out lots he was building house on. He is asking $36500 for it, think that is high for the amount of hours on it.

/ New to me a used skid steer advice #10  
Case and Bobcat have the corner on the market around here. I personally prefer and own New Holland !