New to quick hitches

/ New to quick hitches #1  

Sandroost

Tractor
TYM574HST now. Previously Kubota M5700, Ford 2000
I am, and have had no experience with them. But my new tractor has it on the FEL, so I’m considering getting one for the 3 point out back.
I only own or borrow cat 1 stuff, so is there a reason I shouldn’t get a cat 1 rated quickie?

Seems most are cat 2, and this require bushing instillation. Tractor is rated to around 3000# lift, but my implements are all under 1300#.

Also, are they truly all they’re cracked up to be? Do they introduce any noticeable up/ down or side to side slop? I know some slop side to side is ok if not good, but it bugs me. LOL

Lastly, seems there is a gulf in pricing, from under $150 to nearly $400. Very crude chunk of steel, so it’s a bit difficult to appreciate the value. Experiences?

/ New to quick hitches #2  
You need to make a decision up front (depending on how many implements) as to whether or not you want to purchase a CAT1 quick hitch (Speeco) or get any of those that require bushings on every implement to remove the slop from the connections. Most require either the actual bushing (avail at tractor supply) that slide over the pin with a large end attached via a rollpin, or if you have clevis style attachments you may need a 1-2, and a 2-3 bushing adaptors to remove all unnecessary movement. The "fixed" bushings are like 20'ish bucks for one set and are good for one implement. The bushings are less expensive. If you only have CAT1 implements, it would probably be better to go with the Speeco which also seems to have a good reputation. The old harbor freight ones had issues with hook size and placement which made it hard to pick up some implements even though they were "quick attach" ready.

I went with whatever the dealer gave me for free and now just assume 20-30$ per attachment to make it fit correctly.

/ New to quick hitches
Thanks JohnnyMX- yea that was the hassle I was dealing with with my last tractor- cat 2 lift and every attachment was cat 1. Bucket o’bushings always handy. PITA.

That Speeco does look to be the ticket.

/ New to quick hitches #5  
Bear in mind a quick hitch requires all implements to be nearly the same width. I went with Pat's Quick Hitch to eliminate that problem. I felt it was easier than modifying my implements to fit a quick hitch.
Pat's Quick Hitch is an awesome product, has my vote.

/ New to quick hitches #6  
Many implements will be advertised as quick-hitch compatible.
For non-powered equipment, no problems. For PTO driven implements, the QH will add about 4" (given or take) to the required PTO driveshaft length. Something to consider...
I've had a QH on my tractors for at least 10 years. Although I considered telescoping lower links...I decided to stick with the QH
Most QH's are sold with an adjustable top hook nowadays...you won't want one with a welded upper hook

/ New to quick hitches #7  
I am, and have had no experience with them. But my new tractor has it on the FEL, so I’m considering getting one for the 3 point out back.
I only own or borrow cat 1 stuff, so is there a reason I shouldn’t get a cat 1 rated quickie?

Seems most are cat 2, and this require bushing instillation. Tractor is rated to around 3000# lift, but my implements are all under 1300#.

Also, are they truly all they’re cracked up to be? Do they introduce any noticeable up/ down or side to side slop? I know some slop side to side is ok if not good, but it bugs me. LOL

Lastly, seems there is a gulf in pricing, from under $150 to nearly $400. Very crude chunk of steel, so it’s a bit difficult to appreciate the value. Experiences?
There has to be at least a dozen brands of CAT 1 quick hitches available..... If a CAT 1 implement does not fit the CAT1 QH its the fault of implement (manufacturer) and not the quick hitch....

Only negative I am aware of it most post hole augers will not work with QH and the QH may make it more awkward to connect up a PTO driven device like a brush hog/rear mower...

As for up/down/side slop its all in how you setup tractor arms to control motion of QH.... Very little room for up/down/side motion in QH to implement connection because of engineering standards in QH....

_ASAEquickHitchDimensions.jpg

Last edited:
   / New to quick hitches #8  
Thanks JohnnyMX- yea that was the hassle I was dealing with with my last tractor- cat 2 lift and every attachment was cat 1. Bucket o’bushings always handy. PITA.

That Speeco does look to be the ticket.
But it is the only one that violates the industry "standard".... You set up each implement with proper bushing once. leave bushing on implement, there is no problem.... Fix each implement once, be happy for ever...

/ New to quick hitches #9  
I was never happy with the Speeco style QH. Even with all my implements set up to spec it seemed like I was always having to fiddle with something to get the implement to hook up, mostly revolving around the top hook and the angle the implement sits on the ground. Had decided to switch to the pats system but before I got them installed decided on a new tractor with telescoping links...