New to welding

/ New to welding
Thanks a lot guy's. I figured the 6011 would be the best from what I have heard and seen. You all have confirmed that for me.

/ New to welding #12  
Thanks a lot guy's. I figured the 6011 would be the best from what I have heard and seen. You all have confirmed that for me.

I used 7014 rods for many years but after reading reviews on this forum for 5 years or so I bought 10# of 6011 rods. Now I still use 7014s because they seem to strike easier and am able to hold a bead better that 6011s. I would get a few pounds of each and experiment between the two.

/ New to welding #13  

I really like 6011's. I learned pretty fast it's a very forgiving rod being fast freeze and easy to see the puddle, especially doing up hill welds. I'm definitely a beginner. 7014 is an awesome flat and horizontal rod but kicks my tail trying vertical up! Now I keep 6011 and 7018's. I can weld any position with either of those, just put your 7018's in a rod storage container and only take out what you need and keep it sealed if you use them.

/ New to welding #14  
7014 is one of the best rods for beginners. Might not be the deepest penetrating, or strongest.....but easy to start and easy to lay a good bead with. Which means its good for beginners to not get discouraged

/ New to welding #15  
I really like 6011's. I learned pretty fast it's a very forgiving rod being fast freeze and easy to see the puddle, especially doing up hill welds. I'm definitely a beginner. 7014 is an awesome flat and horizontal rod but kicks my tail trying vertical up! Now I keep 6011 and 7018's. I can weld any position with either of those, just put your 7018's in a rod storage container and only take out what you need and keep it sealed if you use them.
The reason you cant run the 7014 vertical is because it is not designed for that, it is a flat or horizontal rod only. I never really liked 7014 because of all the slag buildup and lack of penetration. It also seems to be a very brittle weld that can break easily under impact loads.

For the AC cracker box welding machines, stick with 6011 and 7018AC rods.

/ New to welding #16  
The reason you cant run the 7014 vertical is because it is not designed for that, it is a flat or horizontal rod only. I never really liked 7014 because of all the slag buildup and lack of penetration. It also seems to be a very brittle weld that can break easily under impact loads.

For the AC cracker box welding machines, stick with 6011 and 7018AC rods.

7014 is an all position rod, 7024 is not. Seems to take an experienced welder to weld vertical up with 7014, tough to do but definitely possible.

Last edited:
   / New to welding #17  
I run 7014 vertical up hill like I do 7018.
First picture is 7014 vertical up hill.
Second picture is 7018 vertical up hill.

Attachments

• Vert up.jpg
    Vert up.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 7018 Best 1.jpg
    7018 Best 1.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 233
   / New to welding #18  
AC welders need AC rod. 6011 is the common rod that “digs”. This is “in general” for heavier utilitarian type welds. 6013 is “in general” the common beginner rod for thinner material and or where a pretty weld is needed.

With those two rods in say 1/8” and 3/16” you can weld about everything that machine was designed to weld.
Don't forger 3/32 and 5/32. Just welded a cow lot with a catch pen, swinging radius bunching gate, chute with rolling gates, turned out nice. All with a 6011.

/ New to welding #19  
Look it up online! But, remember you can't learn from books or online articles because it's a skill (or job, if you want to name it that way) that can only be mastered through practice. Where you will practice is another matter, but the point is that you have to practice. Search up for online or offline courses near you that will help you if you have no experience with welding. They will teach you how to work safely with welding and basic metal welding tips and techniques. I advise you to read more info here.
I'm guessing he figured things out back in 2018 when this thread ended.