New tractor suggestions for snow removal

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal
What's your average snow storm depth and type of snow? I just use a rear blade as we don't get enough to bother with a blower and our driveway doesn't drift in so big banks are fine. If you have a lot of wind you might want a blower.
Snow is a mix. I’d say more of a wetter, heavier snow than dry and powdery. We can get a 20 +in dump but it’s usually 6-8 in once or twice a week. Live near the ocean so yea it’s windy. Ty for the reply!

Late model or new cabbed 4x4 diesel tractor with FEL, SSQA and at least 2 rear remotes. I would go *at least* 30 hp, since you say "with some elevation". How much elevation are we talking about? You may want something with a turbo so you don't suffer a big hp hit from the thin air.

You may be ok with a front plow, if you have plenty of room to stack snow. The down side of *only* a plow, is if you DO run out of room for snow piles, you're kind of hosed. A rear snow blower will let you throw snow over the top and past the existing snow piles.

A block heater is obvious. But an oil pan heater and a hydraulic sump heater are the cat's backside when it's *our version* of cold. My tractor sits in an unheated shed, and spent it's first 3 years parked outside. Like you, it gets cold here (you may be colder, depending on how far up state you are) but it regularly gets -30 to -40F here. Those 3 heaters, block, pan, and hydro sump, will keep you tractoring along all winter. I have mine on a timer that comes on at about 4am, and turns off at about 10am. You'll also want to run synthetic oil.

If you're plowing/blowing snow on hills, or steep driveways, you will want rear chains for sure, possibly front chains if you're getting pushed sideways by the plow.

View attachment 717553

Just another day...

At least at our new house, all my "stuff" can sit in an enclosed (yet unheated) building.
Awesome info. TY! Will send those suggestions to the dealer.

View attachment 717562

I just bought this plow replacing my bucket this year, but I also have an inverted snowblower MK Martin Meteor 68'' on the 3 point since I do not have drifting snow, but we can get 1-2 feet at times in one helping.
They are pushing a plow that looks similar to that. A land pride?

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #14  
The plow is an MTG Industries DT86, yes on tractors 25Hp or less there is no regen. They are a lot simpler, when one buy tractor weight is more important that power in more cases than not. You can still do a lot with a large frame 25Hp tractor.

The plow is an MTG Industries DT86, yes on tractors 25Hp or less there is no regen. They are a lot simpler, when one buy tractor weight is more important that power in more cases than not. You can still do a lot with a large frame 25Hp tractor.
Ty!

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #16  
Is that the “regen” I keep hearing about? I don’t think the LX2610 has that but I’m not sure. Thanks for the reply!

The LX2610 is below the HP threshold for dpf, although I personally would not let dpf be a factor in the decision. I have 600 hours on a larger Kubota L4060 and the regeneration processes have been a non issue.
When I was tractor shopping for a snow plow machine weight and frame size were my driving factors. Weight is King in snow removal, so consider the machine weight and add on weight like loaded rear tires and / or wheel weights.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #17  
Wet heavy snow, very possible slippery conditions.

Block heater, Cab, HST, and chains, minimum 2 ladder for smooth ride. ( terminology, ??? it may be 4 Ladder ) or tire stud’s For base layout of tractor. Don’t get hung up on weight for traction In slippery conditions. In fact it may have disadvantages when going uphill or stopping when going downhill.

Perhaps just try using a bucket first. Upgrades can always come later. It will work well in the heavy wet snow and allow a full width clearing of the road.

If snowblower will be in the works make sure you get enough HP rated to the blower. Wet snow does not blow easily and may plug the blower. 25 HP will probably not suffice.

Heavy wet snow, especially if drifted, is hard to move. The windrows may get pretty solid and hard to move. They also get hard if left to sit. The bucket works well to move them. The plow may not.

Last edited:
   / New tractor suggestions for snow removal #18  
Wet heavy snow, very possible slippery conditions.

Block heater, Cab, HST, and chains, minimum 2 ladder for smooth ride. ( terminology, ??? it may be 4 Ladder ) or tire stud’s For base layout of tractor. Don’t get hung up on weight for traction In slippery conditions. In fact it may have disadvantages when going uphill or stopping when going downhill.

Perhaps just try using a bucket first. Upgrades can always come later. It will work well in the heavy wet snow and allow a full width clearing of the road.

If snowblower will be in the works make sure you get enough HP rated to the blower. Wet snow does not blow easily and may plug the blower. 25 HP will probably not suffice.

Heavy wet snow, especially if drifted, is hard to move. The windrows may get pretty solid and hard to move. They also get hard if left to sit. The bucket works well to move them. The plow may not.
I would have to disagree about a 25HP tractor not being sufficient.

I have a 25HP tractor and a rear blower (Woods SB54S). The "working height" on the blower is 24 inches I can push through 3ft of packed in, drifted wet snow and 3ft of the crap that the plow pushed into the end of my driveway during big dumps. Going to be honest with you though, I was extremely surprised and pleased with what my tractor/blower can chew through, I thought I was going to need to use my bucket more often to pull down the deep, heavy stuff.

If you will be dealing with ice on any slope the I would recommend chains like these rather than ladders. ATV - Diamond - Page 1 - TireChain.com

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #19  
They are pushing a plow that looks similar to that. A land pride?
I think the main downfall of using any type of blade on a tractor is that it can't go fast enough to wing snow over the bank like a truck plow. With only maybe 4-5' total snow fall for a winter at my place, I start very wide at the beginning of winter and push each new snow on to the existing bank as much as I can but it gets narrower by the end of the winter. Also once the banks thaw and freeze a few times they get pretty hard so if parts of the driveway get too narrow I push them back with the box blade as its the toughest earth moving implement I have. What has been used in the past for your driveway?
If you can plow with the storm a front pull 3pth snowblower seems great for a smaller tractor. If you have to do 20" all at once often a rear facing blower is probably better as you can drive on the cleared driveway.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #20  
I wouldn’t get anything smaller than my Kioti CK4010.

Get a HST, a cab and a front mounted snowblower. Backing up to blow snow sucks.

Wet, heavy snow can take a lot of power to move any distance, and if you get continual snowfall of any significance, you want to throw it pretty far. Most of ours is dry, lake effect, except in the spring and fall when even with 40 hp available, I have to take relatively small bites and progress slowly.

Lastly, don’t listen to the fear mongers about imaginary issues with higher hp engines and supposed DPF and associated regeneration issues. The DPF is established technology that has been out for years and is nothing to be afraid of. Regeneration is largely passive or occurs in normal operations. An occasional stationary regeneration isn’t the end of the world either.

Last edited: