New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #21  
Some of those hoses look like they're for the front wing. What's the small ball valve for on top, any idea

I’d like to sell off the complexity of this system and trade it for the simplicity of a 12’ PTO driven dump.
I don't think you should have much of a problem doing an even trade, especially if the bodies in half decent shape and conveyor works. If you decide to strip it yourself, be sure to take a video of all the hydraulics working, side dump, conveyor, main dump etc for proof to show someone.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up
I believe its a shut off valve to close off hydraulics to rear, but haven’t had much time to investigate.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #23  
Just out of curiosity what is a live floor salter? Has it got a conveyor type setup in the bottom so you don’t have to raise the box to feed the spinner?

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #24  
Dave, that's right, and the chain can feed a mid-mount spinner to put the product in front of the rear tires.

Nice rig Hay Dude!

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #25  
After a lot of looking around for a dump truck, I finally found pretty much what was wanted.
Must haves were
1. 4x4 chassis
2. Heavy specs (>35K GVWR)
3. Higher than typical HP/TQ
4. 3 stage engine brakes
5. Automatic trans
6. Single thick frame-not double.

I hit on the first 5, but not 6.

2007 IH 7500 4x4, 41,000 GVWR, HT570 (310/1050) with 3 stage brake, Allison Rugged Duty series, double frame.

View attachment 769282

View attachment 769287

View attachment 769285

Just got here today and didnt have a lot of time to go through it. It has a wing plow frame and a stainless steel dump with a live floor salter system and spinner.
I have no use for the salting equipment and would prefer to sell everything off the truck and install a standard 12’ steel dump box.
Dang, Dude! Nice truck.

Just out of curiosity what is a live floor salter? Has it got a conveyor type setup in the bottom so you don’t have to raise the box to feed the spinner?
1667862513186.jpeg

Yes, it feeds to the front goes through the open door and drops to the spinner.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #27  
The inside of that body looks to be in good shape as long as the conveyor is not seized up, couple gallons of waste oil sprayed on the chain would work wonders.
Check the side dump hinges also, once they seize up you have a bad job on your hands, a few shots of grease works wonders.
The rubber wiper is partially missing from the headboard too, not a big deal but you'll lose product .
It does drop salt or sand ahead of the rear axle which is good but the bad thing about them is it drops salt over the frame from leakage of the return tray underneath, totally covering the frame in salt.
Depending on how the side dump/reloading cylinders are configured it can be hard on the moveable section as well as the main frame rails of the body. If they're at a really low angle (which some are) it pushes the moveable section and the frame rail apart until it gets high enough to move it up easily. If you get a ham handed operator that tries to reload the conveyor before the product is low it's not good.
Still think it's worth $$$ to trade for a conventional :)

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #28  
I went back and looked a see the spinner now, up just behind the front door. I‘ve seen live bottoms before where they feed out the back, usually a long trailer, and they use them for asphalt into the paver.

Your truck dumps sideways also to feed the live bottom?

The inside of that body looks to be in good shape as long as the conveyor is not seized up, couple gallons of waste oil sprayed on the chain would work wonders.
Check the side dump hinges also, once they seize up you have a bad job on your hands, a few shots of grease works wonders.
The rubber wiper is partially missing from the headboard too, not a big deal but you'll lose product .
It does drop salt or sand ahead of the rear axle which is good but the bad thing about them is it drops salt over the frame from leakage of the return tray underneath, totally covering the frame in salt.
Depending on how the side dump/reloading cylinders are configured it can be hard on the moveable section as well as the main frame rails of the body. If they're at a really low angle (which some are) it pushes the moveable section and the frame rail apart until it gets high enough to move it up easily. If you get a ham handed operator that tries to reload the conveyor before the product is low it's not good.
Still think it's worth $$$ to trade for a conventional :)

I’m thinking more & more about selling everything now as a complete set up. Hydraulic pump out front, too.
I just want to be left with a bare chassis a while, restore the frame & paint it, and install simple tough steel bed, replace wheels, fix exhaust manifold gasket and whatever else I can afford and I’m good.

If a used 12’ stainless bed bed came along, that would be amazing. It looks good with the green cab.

The frame is decent. A bit of rust scale on the opposite side of the spinner. Spinner side is actually pretty good. I think they did a good job cleaning off the salt where they thought it’d be worst, but no matter how good a job you do, it still makes a mess.

Last edited:
Got an offer of $11,000 for stainless steel dump, telescopic hoist, hydraulic tank and salt spinner.

I gotta pay to remove. Probably a grand.

End up with $10,000 to put towards new 12’ dump, hoist & PTO