Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series?

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #31  
what machine are you putting it on? mine is a Bobcat X change I drew it on cad so it works with there system, no pins, this will dig down 32 inches easily the shallow depth and taper stops it clogging,
How wide is your thumb outside to outside.

My 334 has the x-change as well as a thumb. The thumb is 14" wide so my 12" bucket is next to worthless unless Im ripping out stumps. And it does stay plugged in our soils. But I do like the looks of that bucket.

Most of my work is replacing old clay drainage tile with plastic and I like 18" bucket to give a little elbow room when working in the trench and to be able to stay on top of the tile.

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #32  
If you had to choose just one digging bucket, what size would you choose?

We've clay soils and I'm mainly going to be cutting/filling terraces, digging holes, and generally reshaping our hilly property. It's to go on a 2.5 tonne Kubota excavator.
Probably a 24" bucket.

My 334 is a 3.5t machine. I have a 12" that is worthless in our soil. A 18" that I use for trenching. A 24" that I use for digging holes, footers, livestock burial, etc. And a 36" smooth bucket for ditching and waterways.

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series?
Thanks guys.

24" digging bucket it is.

And maybe I should be getting a 3 foot mud bucket rather than the 4 foot?

And it seems like a narrow trenching bucket would be essential too, given the water lines I want to run about the property (it sounds like the single tyne ripper I'm getting won't be much use for this). What is a good width bucket for trenching water lines? I'm thinking something around 6" if it exists.

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #34  
Thanks guys.

24" digging bucket it is.

And maybe I should be getting a 3 foot mud bucket rather than the 4 foot?

And it seems like a narrow trenching bucket would be essential too, given the water lines I want to run about the property (it sounds like the single tyne ripper I'm getting won't be much use for this). What is a good width bucket for trenching water lines? I'm thinking something around 6" if it exists.
As others have said, narrow buckets plug very easy. They do design some trenching buckets that do better than others. I would ask your dealer. Mine is 12" in perfect conditions it is great, hardly ever get those...........

Best,

ed

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #35  
on my E32 we tried trenching with a 9 inch rental, was never cleaning and packed with material 9 out of 10 times, switched to a 18 and way better though for gas lines and electric it was a overkill.

check out the trench bucket I built a couple years ago, it cuts a 5 to 6 inch trench, widens as it goes down with a depth of 34 inches I do water sprinklers, electric lines and the odd gas line, works great and rarely plugs by design, its custom made had the plates plasma cut and welded together

Attachments

• DSC_0450_resized_20220522_081052870.JPG
    DSC_0450_resized_20220522_081052870.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
   / Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #36  
Here’s what I’d use if neatness is of any concern. Otherwise dig away with the 18” bucket.
IMG_1814.JPG

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #37  
on my E32 we tried trenching with a 9 inch rental, was never cleaning and packed with material 9 out of 10 times, switched to a 18 and way better though for gas lines and electric it was a overkill.

check out the trench bucket I built a couple years ago, it cuts a 5 to 6 inch trench, widens as it goes down with a depth of 34 inches I do water sprinklers, electric lines and the odd gas line, works great and rarely plugs by design, its custom made had the plates plasma cut and welded together
Looks cool, do you sell? Did you knock it off from anything commercially available?

Best,

ed

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #38  
no knock off, I have used the bobcat for several miles of trenching, this was version 4 and it works 100%, the shallow depth and widening prevents clogging, it basically self cleans

gave the files to two members, they are happy but not using the bobcat x change mounting, this was designed to mount directly on x change system

I can easily state no bucket exists of this design, demoed it to a dealer but they can not sell it

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #39  
for material its made of 3/4 steel plate for X change sides, bucket sides are 1/2 or 3/8 plate, back of bucket is 3/8 steel 5 sections to create the profile, on the edge I used a 5 1/2 inch of road grader blade, it does the work and takes abuse

welding was 2 hours and ready to dig, figure we dug miles with it for water and power

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series?
Dealer is suggesting I consider I upgrade to a tilting half hitch for another US$3500 or so.

Any thoughts on whether this is a worthwhile upgrade?