nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient?

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #1  

orangetree

Silver Member
Tractor
kioti ck2610
The kioti finally arrived!

This is my first time using chains, and securing something besides a car (wheel straps) regardless. I've searched and watched the YouTube's to no avail

Are my rear chains OK here on the axle? Until a big pin shows up in the mail I can't attach to the draw bar.

My concern is that any emergency lateral load will be basically entirely on the wheel -
  • Could unseat the bead, and all chain tension lost
  • Full side-to-side load carried / torqued on the hubs, since its pulling sideways from the outer tire diameter

Also, ion the front, I would prefer to just chain to the axles, but the steering linkage appears to make that impossible... Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20211008_204401.jpg
    IMG_20211008_204401.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_20211008_204446.jpg
    IMG_20211008_204446.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 435
  • IMG_20211008_204619.jpg
    IMG_20211008_204619.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 438
Last edited:
   / nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #2  
Clevis and drawbar on rear when you get your big pin

Is there a brush guard up front. I always chain to that on my tractor

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient?
Clevis and drawbar on rear when you get your big pin
Is this _better_, or just easier than what i have? A reason i care a lot about this is half my drive between lots is idaho55 - curvy, 2-lane, along a river, NO barrier, more and more idiot drivers every year taking the curves partway in the opposing lane. ~Every year someone ends up in the river. It seems like tie-downs further out would provide more lateral stability - maybe not, or it doesn't matter?

Is there a brush guard up front. I always chain to that on my tractor
yep, that's what i ended up with. The Bucket can't sit down on the trailer with the chains up there, though - it rests on the chains. can't imaging this is a problem, but just more stuff scratching i suppose :)

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #4  
The bucket needs to be chained down to.

For the front put some eye bolts on the frame on both sides. Shackle on the drawbar.

Attachments

• 9B3C8A34-49B9-4534-B59A-9BCA5C1C140A.jpeg
    9B3C8A34-49B9-4534-B59A-9BCA5C1C140A.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 1E8E7A58-B57C-4D31-83F2-42148E45F50F.jpeg
    1E8E7A58-B57C-4D31-83F2-42148E45F50F.jpeg
    499.7 KB · Views: 346
  • E7CA1906-0078-4661-8FAA-5647D5EADF86.jpeg
    E7CA1906-0078-4661-8FAA-5647D5EADF86.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 8B6CFC38-EA12-4A2C-A0D6-74F351C20127.jpeg
    8B6CFC38-EA12-4A2C-A0D6-74F351C20127.jpeg
    505.4 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
   / nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #5  
Yeah, on the rear tires like that allows flex. Not ideal.
But if u drive like grampa moses, it might work....

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #6  
I also agree that chaining to the axles and having the chains deflected by the tires isn't the best possible way, HOWEVER, it is better than some other ways. I would consider using a piece of carpet or rubber mat to keep the chains from stripping all the paint off of the axles and tie down points.
Egon,
The bucket on your backhoe pictures, while tied down nicely, doesn't appear to prevent side to side motion as well as it could. You would be better to use a chain to each side and not have the chain that goes all the way across that the chains that actually hold the bucket are attached to. The two shorter chains will allow the bucket to move side to side a lot sooner than if you had just went straight to the bucket from each side. I figure you probably did it that way due to the amount and length of the chains and binders you had available, and I understand that, however since we are trying to help with "the best way" I thought this worth mentioning.
David from jax

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #7  
tie it down diagonally off the axles is better than resting on the tires. It ain't going anywhere.

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient?
tie it down diagonally off the axles is better than resting on the tires. It ain't going anywhere.
I'm sure this'll all get easy for me in a few trips - but it doesn't appear to be any way to get the chains diagonally without resting on part of 3-point system...

I will probably stop by the local farm supply (close by) to see if i can get a shackle or pin large enough for the hole in the draw bar; so I won't have to worry transporting it down the highway described above.

However, i am still not entirely clear; on the rear (the most important end; i can control acceleration but not how hard i [might] have to brake) - is by the drawbar 100% as good as by the axles (if i figure out how to avoid the tires)? The draw bar is certainly more convenient - and once my BH is delivered the axles will be even less accessible.

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #9  
If you are using the axles, cross them and get the chains off the tires. Down and away pulls offer the best load retention amd securing.

A shackle in the drawbar works best, easy and only takes 1 chain and binder.

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #10  
Hope that you have some ratchet binders:
quickbinder-open.jpg
PB300005.JPG

Much easier, faster and safer than lever binders.