Not the battery

/ Not the battery #21  
The leak only occurred when the tractor was angled up or down steep inclines.

/ Not the battery
Thanks for the info gents. I will grease the wires and clean the terminals. The new clamps should be here today. Hopefully, I'll be able to remove the old one (pos) and get the new one in place without soldering.
I'll keep an eye out for the battery leaking also. I've got plenty of hills, and mowing around the pond always puts the tractor on an incline.

/ Not the battery
Running great. Got the new clamp on, and cleaned out some debris from under the hydro drive pedal. I'm pretty sure it was just the pos battery clamp. I will say, there is no extra pos wire. Whew. The new one is very tight.

Attachments

• image-1722086475.jpg
    image-1722086475.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 120
   / Not the battery
Nice job.
Thanks. FYI, I can see evidence around the the battery of corrosion. It must be leaking. Not sure how long I'm going to stay with it.
If a new battery is 1/4" taller I'll never get that positive terminal hooked up. I need to find a smaller battery. Ha

/ Not the battery #26  
Thanks. FYI, I can see evidence around the the battery of corrosion. It must be leaking. Not sure how long I'm going to stay with it.
If a new battery is 1/4" taller I'll never get that positive terminal hooked up. I need to find a smaller battery. Ha

Well done. That should hold you for awhile. :thumbsup:

If you eventually have trouble hooking up to a new battery, just replace the positive cable with one a bit longer. Easy to do.

/ Not the battery
Well done. That should hold you for awhile. :thumbsup: If you eventually have trouble hooking up to a new battery, just replace the positive cable with one a bit longer. Easy to do.

Ok, basic mechanical ignorance question here. It's a bit embarrassing. I tracked the positive cable back to a cylindrical object. It looks like it's just bolted to that.
Is that the solenoid? Not sure.
Thanks for the info though. I may have to get a longer one if this one pulls loose. It's under a bit of stress. Pulled that tight.

/ Not the battery #28  
Ok, basic mechanical ignorance question here. It's a bit embarrassing. I tracked the positive cable back to a cylindrical object. It looks like it's just bolted to that.
Thanks for the info though. I may have to get a longer one if this one pulls loose. It's under a bit of stress. Pulled that tight.

That would be the starter.
The solenoid is usually attached to the starter and smaller. The main red cable supplies power to the starter. Make sure the connection is clean and tight.

/ Not the battery #29  

Yes, that's the starter solenoid (or "starter relay"). Have a look at it and you'll see a second large terminal on the solenoid with a short, heavy-gauge cable running to a terminal on the starter itself, which sits right next to the solenoid.

When the solenoid is triggered by the low-amperage current from the ignition switch to a third, much smaller terminal on the solenoid, it closes the gap between those two large terminals, allowing current to flow directly from the battery to the starter. That way you don't need to run all those amps through the ignition switch. Smaller relays are used elsewhere on your tractor to similar purpose, e.g., to power work lights without having to run all the current through a rocker or toggle switch.