NX4510HST Smoking and Rapping

/ NX4510HST Smoking and Rapping #61  
End of story so far. Fuel test showed very low Cetane rating of my fuel. There was no fuel in the motor oil. Lousy fuel = blown motor, no warranty on the motor. I had a brand new motor installed in my tractor. I picked it up today and it purrs so nice. I don't ever recall it being so quiet. I paid for the motor. Warranty covered eveything else. The CCRT DPF exhaust has been changed, new turbo, new high pressure fuel pump, latest injectors, hoses, filters and everything related to the motor including all sensors, switches etc. On the fuel issue. I almost always buy my fuel from one station. I asked them after I bought my Kioti about their diesel fuel. They told me it was real diesel. After my motor launched I asked them about their diesel again. They said BioDiesel. From my research, a few others here and what the dealer and Kioti Rep told me is that BioDiesel will destory a tractor motor like these and not to use it. NEVER run BioshitDiesel in your tractor. I have ordered a Cetane reading hydrometer for testing my fuel. I will never let this happen again. Taxachusetts does not require gas station to list the Cetane ratings on their fuel pumps or if it is BioDiesel. Big lesson learned on this. I will be complaining to the State AG about making gas stations list the type of fuel that they are selling.
Any info on the Cetane reading hydrometer? Link/price/pix?

/ NX4510HST Smoking and Rapping

Attachments

• 20220922_091400.jpg
    20220922_091400.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
   / NX4510HST Smoking and Rapping #63  
If they get all the issues cleared up and it seems to be running good the first thing I would do when it got home would be to throw a "test pipe" in the exhaust and see how it ran.
Just another good reason to add a Racor style fuel polishing unit pre primary filter. All the new Kubota's (Post 4 engines) are now coming with them to combat questionable fuel quality issues.

Just another good reason to add a Racor style fuel polishing unit pre primary filter. All the new Kubota's (Post 4 engines) are now coming with them to combat questionable fuel quality issues.
Is this really necessary seeing how there is a fuel filter before the injection pump to remove sediment.

/ NX4510HST Smoking and Rapping #65  
Is this really necessary seeing how there is a fuel filter before the injection pump to remove sediment.
Typically, the OEM primary fuel filter filters down to an 80 micron pass rate and if it's removing entrained water you really have no idea because you cannot see if it is or not. The new T4 final engines are very susceptible to failure from entrained water in the fuel.

A Racor style unit (don't have to be be a genuine Racor base as they will all accept a genuine Racor filter, filter down to 30 microns and if you want you can purchase Racor elements that will filter down to 2 microns. Kubota is well aware of the issue and why they are fitting the new T4 final engines with them. Entrained water in the fuel is death for a T4 common rail high pressure electronic injected diesel engine.

Neither of my tractors are (T4). I just want the added layer of protection so I installed them on both.

With me, it's the CYA that counts plus I can visually see (in the clear bowl under the filter) if there is any sediment or water present.

Total cost per unit was under 50 bucks and I installed them myself. Besides, with the units installed and working properly, renewing the spin on primary filter on the engine will become not necessary as any contamination will be caught in the filter.

Typically, the OEM primary fuel filter filters down to an 80 micron pass rate and if it's removing entrained water you really have no idea because you cannot see if it is or not. The new T4 final engines are very susceptible to failure from entrained water in the fuel.

A Racor style unit (don't have to be be a genuine Racor base as they will all accept a genuine Racor filter, filter down to 30 microns and if you want you can purchase Racor elements that will filter down to 2 microns. Kubota is well aware of the issue and why they are fitting the new T4 final engines with them. Entrained water in the fuel is death for a T4 common rail high pressure electronic injected diesel engine.

Neither of my tractors are (T4). I just want the added layer of protection so I installed them on both.

With me, it's the CYA that counts plus I can visually see (in the clear bowl under the filter) if there is any sediment or water present.

Total cost per unit was under 50 bucks and I installed them myself. Besides, with the units installed and working properly, renewing the spin on primary filter on the engine will become not necessary as any contamination will be caught in the filter.
I'll be buying one for mine as that is cheaper than a Kioti fuel filter.

/ NX4510HST Smoking and Rapping #68  
I purchased the filter base on Amazon for about 27 bucks and the elements from the Racor Store online.

/ NX4510HST Smoking and Rapping #69  
Would you be able to show us a picture of the Racor unit installed on one of your tractors? We all have different makes/models but a pic should give us a general idea in deciding how to install/mount it…

/ NX4510HST Smoking and Rapping #70  
I don't do pictures but I have both mine mounted to the FEL upright mount inboard which places them close to the fuel tank outlet (I have twin saddle tanks) as well as the primary filter inlet, but still out of harm's way but easily seen. I drilled and tapped the upright and used stainless hex bolts to mount them. Because I have mechanical lift pumps on both, I just fill the filter with clean diesel (I use a Mr. Funnel) to fill them and the lift pump pulls the fuel through the filters. Both of them are rated at 30 gallons per hour, way more than either tractor consumes.

You want to mount them as close to the fuel tank as possible but still with easy access to change the filter elements when necessary.

Had them installed since mid summer and so far I have not drained either. Have a tiny bit of water in each one and some crud as well.