Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing?

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #31  
i just traded tractors a month ago to avoid the teir 4 tractors.i went from a mx5100 hst 4x4 with la844 quicktatch loader.to a 7040 hdc 4x4 rops with la1153 loader.my loader hookups are under my right side floorboard.an they are protected with a sheld.id cring if i had to have a loader hookup like that on the l60.

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing?
I see listings for new l4740s on tractorhouse, but they are 2000 miles away. Man....

Anyone ever ordered a new tractor from that far away before and how did it work out?

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #33  
Here are a couple of pics I took showing the third function valve and where I think Kubota should have provided a bit more protection.

2013-08-06 15.57.56.jpg

The valve is well protected and out of the way behind the step. Lines come into the valve from the rear (solid lines) and head to the FEL (black flex lines).

2013-08-06 15.58.08.jpg

Here's the weak point IMO. Kubota should have provided another plate, say 4x4 angle, that bolts to the block plate the hydro lines come through for protection of those couplings. Just enough to cover the rigid lines and get past where they curve back, probably 6-8 inches at most.

Hope this helps.

John

Here are a couple of pics I took showing the third function valve and where I think Kubota should have provided a bit more protection.

View attachment 331097

The valve is well protected and out of the way behind the step. Lines come into the valve from the rear (solid lines) and head to the FEL (black flex lines).

View attachment 331098

Here's the weak point IMO. Kubota should have provided another plate, say 4x4 angle, that bolts to the block plate the hydro lines come through for protection of those couplings. Just enough to cover the rigid lines and get past where they curve back, probably 6-8 inches at most.

Hope this helps.

John

John,

So that is what the metal box is for, it is over the valve itself? How does the height of the bottom of the valve block compare to the height (above ground) of the bottom of the pan?

I am not quite sure what I am seeing. The downward flex lines go into a block of some sort that is bolted to the frame. That is not part of the valve? An adapter from flex to solid lines back to the valve?

I've tried to find some sort of diagram that shows the layout of the lxx60 3rd function hydraulics, but so far no cigar.

Thanks again for the pics and thoughts! I am right in the middle of trying to figure out what I am going to do. I need a tractor in the next couple months max, and if I can't track down an l4240 or an l4740 I might go with a lxx60 and want to have a plan in place. Bill

Last edited:
   / Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #35  
John,

So that is what the metal box is for, it is over the valve itself? How does the height of the bottom of the valve block compare to the height (above ground) of the bottom of the pan?

I am not quite sure what I am seeing. The downward flex lines go into a block of some sort that is bolted to the frame. That is not part of the valve? An adapter from flex to solid lines back to the valve?

I've tried to find some sort of diagram that shows the layout of the lxx60 3rd function hydraulics, but so far no cigar.

Thanks again for the pics and thoughts! I am right in the middle of trying to figure out what I am going to do. I need a tractor in the next couple months max, and if I can't track down an l4240 or an l4740 I might go with a lxx60 and want to have a plan in place. Bill

Bill,

Look at the bottom picture in my post #7. Its not so much a block as it is a place to go from rigid to flex without having the hoses dangle loosely. I think all that would be needed to fully protect it would be something bolted to the outer edge of the plate and extending out and under the lines.

I'll get some measurements of the clearances. If you want any other pictures just let me know.

John

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #36  
John, your second picture in post #33 says it all to me. That's totally not acceptable. I'd have torn them off by now working in brush as I do. Very poor design. Bitchy part about it is $20 spent at production would have protected all those lines..... :mad:

John, The perfect picture would be to turn the tractor upside down and take pic of bottom :).

Sure would be nice if Kubota would design a bracket to protect those hoses. They could have designed things so that a bracket would have been simple to install/remove.

If you come up with any ideas on a bracket please share. I think it is an issue that many folks in the future will be interested in.

fyi, I looked at an lxx40 stock kubota 3rd function installation and was surprised it was not as sano a setup as I would have guessed, although the exposed hoses were much higher, behind the valve and ran parallel to the frame so they were much less exposed than the OEM setup on the lxx60.

Last edited:
I feel the same, Kubota could have easily improved on the situation for not much money. But maybe that would have admitted to a weakness with the design and thus didn't get past the project politics?

In other regards things seemed improved these days for example with rear remotes they are stackable so no biggie to add more remotes later.

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #39  
From what I see, pretty much all the tractor manufacturers know they are in a very competitive business and put a lot of effort into figuring out what customers want. When they come up with an "improvement" that responds to those wants, they may not always have the genius and objectivity to visualize every way in which their new design is less than perfect. Every once in a while, they might really step in it. I expect after some buyer and owner comments, maybe some repair history, most of these manufacturers are happy to improve their so-called improvement when needed. It'll probably take a year or two for Big Orange to figure this out. Or, maybe it'll be another opportunity for Bro-Tek and others...

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #40  
John, The perfect picture would be to turn the tractor upside down and take pic of bottom :).

Sure would be nice if Kubota would design a bracket to protect those hoses. They could have designed things so that a bracket would have been simple to install/remove.

If you come up with any ideas on a bracket please share. I think it is an issue that many folks in the future will be interested in.

fyi, I looked at an lxx40 stock kubota 3rd function installation and was surprised it was not as sano a setup as I would have guessed, although the exposed hoses were much higher, behind the valve and ran parallel to the frame so they were much less exposed than the OEM setup on the lxx60.

Will standing on my head work?

Attachments

• 20130809_173459.jpg
    20130809_173459.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 265