Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #21  
Currently I have two exmark laser Z, had a scag. All good mowers. Went with exmark because of dealer and price.

Lots of exmarks around here! Top seller with the pro mowing companies. Great cut quality.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #22  
I wouldn't mind having one of those either, but the used Grasshoppers are way cheaper. A diesel mower can blow away a gas motor in high grass even if the rated hp is less on the diesel.

Yeah the used Grasshoppers are real nice and use good quality Kubota diesel. New Grasshoppers are pricey! I've always liked the front mowing decks.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres
Here is the property:
photo_13286894-1500x1000.jpg
photo_13286827-1500x1000.jpg

The "rough" area is an area I intend to mow less regularly. However, it is not very rough. I am concerned that a mulching set-up will get bogged down with the taller/rough grass.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #24  
I had a Ferris 1500 series I bought used, loved it, but way too costly to replace. Got a Snapper Pro, which is made (as is Simplicity I understand) by the same company as Ferris. Have had to replace the drive seals at 100 hours ($180) and nowhere near the comfort/cut the Ferris had. As mentioned by someone else, get the "commercial" deck regardless of what you by, not a stamped steel deck. Good luck.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #26  
Here is the property:
View attachment 444440
View attachment 444441

The "rough" area is an area I intend to mow less regularly. However, it is not very rough. I am concerned that a mulching set-up will get bogged down with the taller/rough grass.

It begs for a SCAG Tiger Cat, 52" Velocity deck. You choose from the engine options but I like the FX Kawa's. Forget the bagging nonsense. You'll love the cut.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres
Why specifically?

It begs for a SCAG Tiger Cat, 52" Velocity deck. You choose from the engine options but I like the FX Kawa's. Forget the bagging nonsense. You'll love the cut.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #28  
Have you ever bagged grass? It is a real PITA. If you mow properly you don't notice the grass clippings leaving no need to bag. If you do bag grass those big piles where you dump the grass stink.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #29  
The size of the property makes this a great match for weekly mowing chores during the growing season. The SCAG is a robust heavy duty mower and can handle uneven terrain better than most homeowner mowers. Ferris, Xmark and Hustler offer comparable models but the SCAG is the one I'm intimately familiar with. The 52" deck offers larger wheels and can negotiate tight spots much better than the 61" model and won't be near as prone to scalping. It is built as a commercial model and the quality of cut has to be experienced. We can talk or write about it but at the end of the day you'll just have to decide for yourself.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #30  
. . . As mentioned by someone else, get the "commercial" deck regardless of what you by, not a stamped steel deck. Good luck.

Let's clarify that not all stamped steel decks are equal. The 7-Iron deck on the John Deere commercial series is stamped, but it is stamped out of one solid piece of 7 gauge steel and, by all reports, is as good as any deck the industry.

The general rule with John Deere mowers is to avoid the yellow decks. Those are generally the cheaper residential decks I believe you were referring to.