Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #31  
There is nothing wrong with stamped steel decks. Some are better than others. My F series Kubota has a stamped steel deck, but it is heavy duty. In fact with the exception of the Dixie chopper all of our mowers have stamped steel decks with thousands of hours of use.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #32  
Why specifically?

There are fans of almost every brand out there. The important thing, in my opinion, is to buy a commercial grade mower even if that means buying used to fit within your budget. At least that was my philosophy for me, but you have to spend your own money your own way.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #33  
Personally I mulch almost exclusively. I opted to buy (and install myself) the mulching kit for my ZTR. I have mowed 18in high (dry) grass not that I recommend you wait that long between mowings. Mulching puts the nutrients back in the ground rather that slowly removing it. Also means less fertilizing if you are looking to keep it greener than natural. Best thing about ZTR's is maneuverability, the worst is hills. Most of all, more fun than a traditional rider! Still have my little Honda powered walk behind for certain spots that are too steep or dangerous (above a bulkhead) for the ZTR.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #34  
There are fans of almost every brand out there. The important thing, in my opinion, is to buy a commercial grade mower even if that means buying used to fit within your budget. At least that was my philosophy for me, but you have to spend your own money your own way.

Excellent advice.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #35  
Let's clarify that not all stamped steel decks are equal. The 7-Iron deck on the John Deere commercial series is stamped, but it is stamped out of one solid piece of 7 gauge steel and, by all reports, is as good as any deck the industry.

The general rule with John Deere mowers is to avoid the yellow decks. Those are generally the cheaper residential decks I believe you were referring to.

Very true. I have the 7 iron deck and would not trade it for any other deck. It is almost clog free and indestructible.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #36  
waendo, did you make a decision or did we confuse the issue for you?

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres
waendo, did you make a decision or did we confuse the issue for you?

I'm going with the Ferris or Husq MZ61, tomorrow or Fri is the purchase deadline. Going to forgo the bagger, thanks to the recs here.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #38  
Between those two, I'd buy the Ferris just for the suspension. Plus I think it is a step up in class from the Husqvarna.

The Ferris comes with a Kawasaki FS, Briggs Vanguard or Briggs Commercial Turf engine. I'd rate those engines (in order of priority) as follows:

1. Briggs Vanguard
2. Kaw FS (commercial engine but without the Donaldson air filtration system)
3. Briggs Commercial Turf

The Husq comes with a Kaw FR series engine, which is their residential series (a step below the FS series). And it comes with the HydroGear ZT3100 series transaxles, while the Ferris comes with the ZT3400 series transaxles (which are a higher rated commercial series) and are a little faster.

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #39  
I had the toro and it was not great. The drives would never run at the same speed no matter how much I adjusted them. I am on the fence between a ferris and a Kubota this spring. I know there is a big price dif but I can't deal with another summer of wiggly lines

/ Opinions on new ZTR Purchase 5 acres #40  
Personally, I have a Kubota Z724. Cuts grass at nearly 11 MPH. Very comfortable, Has ROPS and a 54" deck. I cut around 2 acres in 45 minutes with it and there are some obstacles. Does a nice job for the price. Worth a look.