ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks?

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #1  

BackRoad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000, MF 35
3rd function uses flatface Male and Female Quick Connectors (QCs) with 1/2" nominal port size (-08) O-Ring Boss (ORB) seals.

On the tractor side, the Female QC was dripping sufficiently at the ORB fitting to warrant investigation.

1. Attempted to tighten the ORB fitting: No joy

2. No visually apparent defects with either part of the O-Ring seat.

3. Replaced the O-ring with a new one from NAPA: No joy

4. Tried some hydraulic sealant on the threads, along with the new O-Ring: No joy

5. Swapped the Male and Female QCs to see if problem followed the QC or the O-ring: They both started leaking!

6. Ordered new O-Rings from Discount Hydraulics (thinking NAPA O-ring might have not been 100% sized properly). Replaced both the male and female O-Rings and returned them to the original configuration: Now back to just the Female leaking, not as bad, but still not dry.

So...short of buying a replacement flatface Female QC - and - the O-ring base connector, are there any alternative suggestions or hacks for sealing a leaking ORB connection?

Do they make "super" O-Rings that might be slightly "thicker" than standard (-08) O-Rings?

Is there a thread sealant that works for use with ORB straight threads? (Anyone have success with a careful application of Teflon tape?)

Can an ORB connection be over-tightened or over torqued?

Thanks for any suggestions!

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #2  
Does the fitting O-ring fit into the chamfer on the QD? Should not be any O-ring squeezed out between flat surfaces of fitting and QD.

Are these straight fittings or an elbow with jam nut?

If straight I would inspect the fittings to see if there a scratch or groove where th O- ring sits. Check both the fitting and QD chamfer.

If elbow is the O-ring positioned in the space with no threads?

I do not know of non-standard size ORB O-rings. I know they are not a standard size but have used standard size in an emergency.

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #3  
Hmm. Not sure I'm correctly visualizing the ORB-portion of the QC you have. (Are you able to post a photo, maybe from the Internet?). I know you say there's no visually-apparent defect, but it might be hard to see if it's just a matter of a clearance being slightly out of tolerance. Are the o-rings that you've been replacing pinched or otherwise deformed when you take them out? If so, that may be the giveaway. Here's a pic of a joystick valve elbow on my NX4510HST/cab a few years back that almost drove me nuts trying different o-rings until I figured out that the captive washer that compressed the o-ring against the boss when the nut was tightened was out of tolerance. The internal diameter was a few thousandths too large, allowing just enough of the o-ring to squeeze between it and the smooth barrel of the fitting just beyond the male threads. And this was an OEM Kioti part. Finally ordered a replacement from Kioti and no leaks since. No amount of hydraulic sealant would have solved this problem!
NX Joystick valve elbow3 (2021_10_07 01_19_42 UTC) (2021_10_17 21_32_01 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
   / ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #4  
Send a photo of your setup, ORB done correctly never leaks.

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #5  
I've had good luck with Quad o-rings;
Amazon.com

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #6  
Lou
On ORB fittings there is limited space for the O-ring to squeeze into so quad ring may or may not work in this application. On standard O-ring application quad typically will work better

Backroad,
On the quick disconnects is there a 12-15 degree chamfer approx 1/8 deep on the ORB port? If not you need to verify threads and style of fittings you have. This is where pictures would help.

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks?
I'll post some pics tomorrow, when there is better lighting. And thanks for the questions.

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #9  
Amazing, must be I got lucky as that was the cure for one of my leaky ORB fittings.

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #10  
Amazing, must be I got lucky as that was the cure for one of my leaky ORB fittings.
As long as the quad ring fits into the allocated space it will work. Concern on ORB seals is the seal material must squeeze into the chamfer. If seal material is squeezed between the port spot face and bottom of fitting it will extrude and leak.

Part of me suspects this is what is happening for back road.