ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks?

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #11  
Something is wrong here. ORB fittings don't leak as long as they are installed correctly. That's why they are so attractive. If replacing the o-ring didn't fix it then I'd be looking for small fractures or other defects.

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #12  
Something is wrong here. ORB fittings don't leak as long as they are installed correctly. That's why they are so attractive. If replacing the o-ring didn't fix it then I'd be looking for small fractures or other defects.
Or wrong Oring.

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks?
The first pic shows the full set of connectors. The second pic has a probe pointing to where the ORB connection has been leaking.

The leak has been creating a visible trail of fluid, with drips to the ground every 10 to 12 seconds.

Last Friday, I once again wiped down the connectors to remove the leaking fluid before hooking up my snow plow.

I then used the plow for ~20 mins.

Tonight when I went out to take the photos and to disassemble the connector to take photos of the O-ring, chamfer and seat - there was no fluid or evidence of leaking from the 20 mins of snow plowing.

So...I left it as is!

I'll see if any leaking returns after I plow again the next time.

I'm sceptical...though the leaking did not occur this last time I used it...problems don't generally resolve on their own.

After trying to fix this for the last couple of weeks, I finally holler for "Help" and now the issue has disappeared!

I appreciate the thoughtful comments...and I'll try to deal with the embarrassment!

...//Terry
884806939.jpg
104421832.jpg

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #14  
Backroad
In picture with probe Is the leak between lighter colored hex and disconnect body? If yes look very closely at where fitting mates to disconnect body. Can you see edge of chamfer around the fitting? I have seen a few fittings where hex was turned down and exposed the chamfer causing them to randomly leak.

Last edited:
   / ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #15  
Strange. Ordinarily orings are the most forgiving of seals. As long as they will fit into the sealing area, touching both sides, and not so oversized as to be extruded in assembly. Then any pressure trying to leak just pushes the gland into better sealing contact. Could it be that you are getting a fiber across the gland during assembly?

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks?
Mr. Oldnslo, the leak has been where the 2 fittings join...at the tip of the probe.

Previously, the O-Rings did not show any visible deformity or obvious indication of failure.

My 66 year old eyes did not find any gouges or rough spots on the metal edges where the O-ring seats.

If it returns, I will disassemble and get some close up photos of how the O-ring is seating on the fitting, and both connector ends...maybe an enlargement of the photos will show something.

Worst case is to replace the fittings...but hate to throw $$$ away!

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #17  
My first post! Been lurking for a while.
I had a similar problem and found using a higher durometer o-ring solved the problem. I ordered Gates brand from my dealer.

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #18  
IS it still leak free?

/ ORB Leaking...Replaced O-ring...Any Other Hacks? #20  
It was maybe ten years ago and I don’t have the JD301A anymore.
I guess I should have specified....

My question was for the original poster of this thread