Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #72  
On December 3, 2021 I ordered a Ram 2500 Laramie. The sales manager said it should take about 3 to 4 months to arrive. Usually it's 3 months, but the factory shuts down for 3 weeks for Christmas. Today he told me that it has been assigned a VIN. And he says Chrysler will email me with updates on the progress of the build. I haven't got anything from Chrysler yet.

I'll be pulling my hair out waiting for it in about 10 weeks.

I ordered the 6.4L hemi engine. I have another 2019 Tradesman with the 6.4L and I really like it. And the diesel is a $9400 option.
Sounds like a nice ride! Post some pics when you get it.

I just ordered a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 a week ago. The salesman said it would be late spring or early summer before it arrives. I really wanted a 2500HD but the wait on those is almost a year! He also said some of the options I ordered may not be available or will be dealer installed at a later date.

The process of buying a new vehicle sure isn't what it used to be.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #73  
Section 179, my entire new truck will be deducted this year… had no plan to sell and buy new. But the alternative was more money to gov.
Something I track very closely.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #74  
I just ordered a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 a week ago. The salesman said it would be late spring or early summer before it arrives. I really wanted a 2500HD but the wait on those is almost a year! He also said some of the options I ordered may not be available or will be dealer installed at a later date.

You're not kidding, order to delivery times are all over the map. I ordered a 2022 RAM1500 Longhorn with the level 1 package on November 30th. The salesman said if I ordered right now I would be in the current allocation unit and all my options were currently available to order, so I did. Delivery will be (he said, we will see) 4 to 8 weeks since I'm in SE Michigan, I won't have a long transportation time.

A friend of mine works for Chrysler at the Sterling Hts plant, he shuffles trailers around loaded with parts to the shipping bays. He told me the assembly plant is running 7 days a week but there are often shut-downs because a part ran out.

A neighbor owns a Chevy dealership, he is struggling to get inventory and is down to a few salespersons and they are struggling to make mortgage and feed their families. He said they have good showroom traffic, no yard stock, and can't order much of what customers want because of part shortages.

Around my area, from airport parking lots to closed K-Mart parking lots, they are stuffed with vehicles waiting on parts. I wonder how they are going to pedal the 2021s when 2022s are available once the part shortage starts to ease.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #75  
I read Ford is creating their own chip manufacturing plant in the US...finally some of these companies are waking up. We can't be so dependent on foreign parts for critical items.
My understanding was they were going to start using more of the chip maker fabs in the US. They may cost a little more, which is why they weren't used already as much, but should take care of the supply issue.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #76  
My understanding was they were going to start using more of the chip maker fabs in the US. They may cost a little more, which is why they weren't used already as much, but should take care of the supply issue.

The news here in Detroit is Ford's strategic partnership with chipmaker GlobalFoundries could lead to joint-venture building chips for itself and other automakers. Keep in mind it takes years to build a fabrication facility and just as long to build the specialized machines that make the devices.

Semiconductors used in automotive are a far cry from what is used in consumer devices. That is why I never got the connection from the reported reason of higher demand for consumer products created the semiconductor shortage. Automotive devices are specifically built and often contain sub-systems, for example, CAN/LIN network controllers, drives for cluster gauges, etc. They are also built to withstand the varying environments a vehicle operates in.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #77  
The news here in Detroit is Ford's strategic partnership with chipmaker GlobalFoundries could lead to joint-venture building chips for itself and other automakers. Keep in mind it takes years to build a fabrication facility and just as long to build the specialized machines that make the devices.
Not really, or depends on when you consider it "building. The actual construction and equipping can be less than 3 years, close to just 2. The equipment to go inside starts being built when the building construction starts so the various vendors/suppliers equipment can be built and prepared for arrival, placement and installation immediately once the building is ready. One of the companies I service started construction/broke ground late 2020 and we are scheduled to start installing our equipment April 2022. They expect to run the first chips by late 2022 last I heard. So if they succeed, that will all happen in under 3 years.
Semiconductors used in automotive are a far cry from what is used in consumer devices. That is why I never got the connection from the reported reason of higher demand for consumer products created the semiconductor shortage. Automotive devices are specifically built and often contain sub-systems, for example, CAN/LIN network controllers, drives for cluster gauges, etc. They are also built to withstand the varying environments a vehicle operates in.
Yes and no. Most automotive chips (in simple terms) have higher tolerances and more testing done and some degree of redundancy designed in for automobile safety for reason you mentioned. The actual process to make either isn't much different and most fabs can make either line/product just as easily and almost in the same amount of time, from what some of the Engineers have told me anyway.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #78  
Sounds like a nice ride! Post some pics when you get it.

A funny thing happened when I was at the dealership placing my order. I parked my very clean 2012 Sierra 2500HD in front of the building. Not 15 minutes later, while I was inside talking to the salesperson, someone came in and wanted to buy my truck!

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #79  
A funny thing happened when I was at the dealership placing my order. I parked my very clean 2012 Sierra 2500HD in front of the building. Not 15 minutes later, while I was inside talking to the salesperson, someone came in and wanted to buy my truck!
That is what happen to us. Took my truck (2019 Laramie) in for recall on drivers side floor mat. I got a call from the sales department wanting to buy it when I was picking it up. I said NO, - then the salesman I usually use called and offered me a very good deal on a new 2021 (exactly the same truck as my 19). It was on a truck they did not have. Then they got it from out of state.

I get the feeling that many dealers are working to make money in the used market and just can't let a "like New" used vehicle pass without an attempt to buy. The lots around hear have a few cars and trucks on them, but none are new. I went back to the dealer 2 days later to give them the original manual (forgot it was not in the truck). The 2019 was already sold and gone.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #80  
And the tires don't need all the sun they get in some of the storage lots.

Has anyone read of how quickly that stock build up is cycling?
I've been saving my $$ and a newish truck might be a place start saveig