Outdoor burning laws

/ Outdoor burning laws #61  
Never heard of an ordnance depicting what wood to burn and not to burn. Legislating common sense seems to be the new normal in some areas of the country.
Unfortunately, there are just enough idiots or people who don't give a crap around to make these laws necessary.

/ Outdoor burning laws
3 or 4 yrs ago I had a small chest freezer that had not worked for a long time , I took it to the landfill and backed up to the unloading spot and the guy driving the bulldozer said I could not dump it there and I had to take it to a fenced in designated area at the landfill where you dropped air conditioner's refrigerators freezers anything that had freon in it an they supposedly evacuated the coolant before dumping it in the landfill. I forgot how much they charged to do this, it was at least $70.00 or plus. I wonder how many of these were truly evacuated before they went to the landfill. It did not matter if the tubing on the compressor was broken and
obviously had no freon in it , you still had to pay the extra $$$$ for the evacuation of freon.

Last edited:
   / Outdoor burning laws #65  
You just confirmed my point.
People know when its “inappropriate” to burn.
Dry- don’t burn. Damp-burn.
Not a real difficult concept, unless you live in a Nanny State.
You obviously don’t understand the west and the people from the east who move here and don’t know when it’s appropriate to burn. And your simplistic solution shows that you don’t understand prescribed burning either. We can be wet or moist, but have a cold front moving in with 40 miles per hour winds in a day or two. The embers are kicked up into a half million acre burn, costing everyone. The nanny has proven to be a prudent move year after year. But there isn’t half million acre burns in the rust belt that last for three months and cost hundreds of millions to suppress, so you have no clue what you’re talking about.

/ Outdoor burning laws #66  
A permit valid up to a year will keep people from burning at the wrong time? and I'm sure the idiots that need instruction will apply.

Really it's like saying a felon will fill out a Form 4473 make all the laws you want only the law abiding will comply.

Not knocking the need for some control, I live in the middle of Mark Twain NF and the leftover brush/dead wood from prescribed cutting is fuel for some big fires. Everything the FS timbers is mostly diseased Oaks that are usually hollow and the loggers leave it where falls. Very little is used for firewood and don't the ones that do apply for the permits to take it. The logging trails just become illegal ATV and Truck roads.

/ Outdoor burning laws #67  
I am used to burn permits here are valid for 24 hours, and final approval must be obtained day of... and yes, lots of idiots around. Personally, I have the fire department rules for mowing taped to the side of my fridge, temp, wind, and humidity all go into the flow chart.

3 or 4 yrs ago I had a small chest freezer that had not worked for a long time , I took it to the landfill and backed up to the unloading spot and the guy driving the bulldozer said I could not dump it there and I had to take it to a fenced in designated area at the landfill where you dropped air conditioner's refrigerators freezers anything that had freon in it an they supposedly evacuated the coolant before dumping it in the landfill. I forgot how much they charged to do this, it was at least $70.00 or plus. I wonder how many of these were truly evacuated before they went to the landfill. It did not matter if the tubing on the compressor was broken and
obviously had no freon in it , you still had to pay the extra $$$$ for the evacuation of freon.
Actually, given the price of freon, most of those AC/fridge Freon capture programs at dumps are money makers. I had a small can of Freon that I bought a while back, and was blown away to discover the 14oz can going for $100. Around here, they also usually pull the compressor and copper and aluminum tubing for recycling as well. Reduce, reuse, recycle and all that. The less that goes into the landfills, the longer the landfills will last.

All the best,

Peter

/ Outdoor burning laws #68  
Sometime in the far future I expect the landfills will be mined to reclaim buried resources.

Bruce

/ Outdoor burning laws #69  
You obviously don’t understand the west and the people from the east who move here and don’t know when it’s appropriate to burn. And your simplistic solution shows that you don’t understand prescribed burning either. We can be wet or moist, but have a cold front moving in with 40 miles per hour winds in a day or two. The embers are kicked up into a half million acre burn, costing everyone. The nanny has proven to be a prudent move year after year. But there isn’t half million acre burns in the rust belt that last for three months and cost hundreds of millions to suppress, so you have no clue what you’re talking about.
I guess that explains why you need a permit and we don't, although it looks like we're going to have a dry spell here for a while but I don't anticipate anybody will be stupid enough to start a brush fire.

/ Outdoor burning laws
I am used to burn permits here are valid for 24 hours, and final approval must be obtained day of... and yes, lots of idiots around. Personally, I have the fire department rules for mowing taped to the side of my fridge, temp, wind, and humidity all go into the flow chart.

Actually, given the price of freon, most of those AC/fridge Freon capture programs at dumps are money makers. I had a small can of Freon that I bought a while back, and was blown away to discover the 14oz can going for $100. Around here, they also usually pull the compressor and copper and aluminum tubing for recycling as well. Reduce, reuse, recycle and all that. The less that goes into the landfills, the longer the landfills will last.

All the best,

Peter
I agree they are money makers , easy money maker's especially when the tubing is already cut or broken on the freezer before you even get to the landfill and there is no way that freon could still be in the tubing and they still charge you an evacuation fee.