Outdoor cats

/ Outdoor cats #41  
Great choice /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And I still agree with you on the way the humane society jerked you around. That should have been mentioned up front.

/ Outdoor cats #42  
I'll offer my $0.02, admittedly, without reading all of the other reply's.

Whatever you end up with, get it neutered. Having tomcats run around marking yours (and neighbors) porch, cars, tractors, etc is not desirable. A neutered male won't wander as much which is a key to its survival. The more exploring they do, the greater the chance they won't come home.

We've had much better luck with female cats. They don't prowl quite as much and have better sense and end up living much longer. We've got the two same barn cats that we got five years ago. We've had four males in that time also and none of them has made it six months.

And yup, we got the females neutered, but one was too late and had kittens. Guess maybe one of my neighbors had a Tom running around (you live nearby? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif).

/ Outdoor cats #43  
<font color=blue>"And yup, we got the females neutered"</font color=blue>

Phantom, are you sure they wern't males?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Outdoor cats #44  
<font color=blue>Would you lay your head on a couch cushion that other people sat naked on?</font color=blue>

I never gave that much thought butt now that you mention it, I am not so sure that I will ever again put my head on a couch cushion where even clothed people have sat! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Chris

/ Outdoor cats #45  
There are four cats here, three stay inside and one goes in and out what ever he wants. They were all strays and are neutered. I would like to keep them all in but one will spray if he can't get out. Attached is an image of a door I made him that only he can use to go in and out. He wears a collar with a magnet on it. The door has inside the upright wood piece a reed switch that senses the magnet. The reed controls a relay that energizes a solenoid hooked to a pin that unlatches the door so it can be pushed open. It swings from the top so it is self closing and then latches. It took him about a week to figure it out and me some time to make it. The other cats must wonder how he does it.

Attachments

• 8-161961-catdoors.JPG
    8-161961-catdoors.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 64
   / Outdoor cats #46  
Wallysue, I'm sure glad there's all these miles between us. I'm not sure the world could take us being neighbors.

/ Outdoor cats #47  
<font color=blue>...The door has inside the upright wood piece a reed switch that senses the magnet.</font color=blue>

So if I understand you correctly, you just published on the Internet everything the world needs to know in order to totally breach your security system. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif All a skunk or possum has to do is strap a magnet to its neck, and in it comes? No retinal scans? Nothing?? You are hereby demoted from Chief of Security. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Actually, it looks like a great idea!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bob

/ Outdoor cats
Here’s an update in case anyone is interested. They are still locked inside the playhouse at night with a litter box of kitty litter in case they need to go at night. We had to stop leaving the litter box in there all the time because it started to smell too bad. During the day, I put the kitty litter box where they can't get too it and have a second litter box filled with loose dirt in the area I want them to start using (about 50 feet from the playhouse). The male seems to be catching on and has used the litter box with dirt in it. The female has used the yard and a flower bed. It's only been a few days, so I'm hoping she just needs more time.

I would like to eliminate the litter box in the playhouse, but I'm afraid they won't wait until morning and just go on the floor (the floor is made of wood). I don't want to leave the door open because I'm afraid they'll wander off at night. But, I’m wondering if that’s true. If we keep feeding them every night and every morning it seems like they would stick around. They haven’t caught a mouse yet, but have caught some horse flies. They stay close to the house all of the time, most of the time they are in the breezeway or garage sleeping when we’re not home or in the house. The kids have spent a lot of time with them, even in the hot weather. But, now that school has started the kittens are getting more time to rest – they lay around and sleep a lot!

/ Outdoor cats #49  
Here is a good question for you cat people...How do you catch the kittens to get them fixed? I have tried for the past few months and can't get near them.

/ Outdoor cats
I'm certainly not a "cat person"! But, I can offer an opinion on your question. If your cats are that wild it probably won't do much good to catch them anyway, since they will be hard for the vet to handle! They'll probably charge you double!