OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ???

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ???
Hello again to all and thanks for responding so far . Justs some thoughts from what we (my son and I ) have researched .
It doesnt mean its written in stone but just personal thoughts from reading , vids , etc .

Lets start out with the Loergering track systems New - up to $17,000 for the larger skidsteers. $12,000 plus for mid size it seems . I read good things about them in some cases performing better than some fully tracked oem units came with .
However just my thoughts I dont understand beside the initial cost of one's wheeled unit , spending this kind of money for the conversion , but to each there own .

On the aftermarket tracks over the wheels which there is apparently alot more companies selling these than we thought besides issues with inside tires slipping , getting a flat , debris lodged in wheels or tracks , etc . It appears a new set of quality tracks is a bit under 2k . If my son were to end up goin this route because theres many types of tracks , full rubber , full steel which from what I seen tears the heck out of everything , etc . I think the way to go would be to compromise and buy a steel set with rubber pads and spaceing between the center of tracks .

Ok option #3 and the one I recommend my son consider because on his property he definatly needs a tracked loader would be to sell his Kubota SSV75(wheel) which he got slightly used at way below cost to a private individual , and put that cash towards a new tracked Takeuchi , Kubota , Cat , Case / New Holland in the 74 HP range so no def .
Of course after researching and compareing these units .

Thanks all again for your thoughts , comments and hands on experience I hope you all keep posting your thoughts on here !

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ??? #12  
I have wheel skidders and my neighbor has a bubcat rubber track machine----way bigger than my L-781 and I can run run circles around him in soft ground.---he bogs down, undercarriage fills with mud, which is wearing out bearings/rollers/etc. and he tears up the ground something terrible.
I on the other hand am much lighter and float more so rarely get stuck.
It depends what you want to use one for as to how you need it equipped. Every owner has to decide what they need for their purpose.
For me its wheels ----neighbor says he needs tracks,----we are best friends!! ( neighbor borrows my L-781 for a lot of his work like fine grading and less damage to the finished grade, so you have to match machine to job.)

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ??? #13  
I am in the same situation and looking at the Mcclaren rubber over steel tracks. I have a Cat 262b she is a heavy girl. I measured the machine using the spec sheet they gave me and it looks like I wont need spacers. Tracks are about 3800...... Not sure what Im going to do.

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ??? #14  
I have wheel skidders and my neighbor has a bubcat rubber track machine----way bigger than my L-781 and I can run run circles around him in soft ground.---he bogs down, undercarriage fills with mud, which is wearing out bearings/rollers/etc. and he tears up the ground something terrible.
I on the other hand am much lighter and float more so rarely get stuck.
It depends what you want to use one for as to how you need it equipped. Every owner has to decide what they need for their purpose.
For me its wheels ----neighbor says he needs tracks,----we are best friends!! ( neighbor borrows my L-781 for a lot of his work like fine grading and less damage to the finished grade, so you have to match machine to job.)
Here is a case where perception wins out over reality. The perception is that the lighter machine "floats" better. The reality is that 7700 lbs on four 7" wide tires is 45 psi. 12700 lbs on two 18" tracks is 4.9 psi.

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ??? #15  
As far as tracks go -- experience in operating the equipment has lots to do with it. I had a good trainer who took the time to teach me how to operate without leaving a trail of destruction. I prefer tracks over wheels and no-one can tell I run a excavator or track loader on my property all the time.

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ??? #16  
Hi, I have unlimited access to a JD326E. It has aftermarket steel tracks. Here's what I observed before and after tracks were added.
#1 capability of the machine with tracks was ten fold in terms of traction and stability. Ive only used it to first clear then grade land I can run an 84" land plane in soft sand with little issue with or without scarifier teeth down.
#2 the tracks added about 2k more pounds of weight to to a machine that's already over 8k pounds. made it very stable when using a tree puller and stump bucket. I can pull 20' shallow rooted trees out of sand no problem.
#3 1.5" wheel spacers were needed to prevent the tracks from hitting the frame which put the machine a little over 82" wide. Unsure if you will be trailering. Basically had to get a deck over trailer 14k capacity minimum. (im currently looking at a 17k deck over). That's pushing most 3/4 ton trucks over there max GVWR as most deck overs weigh over 4k.
#4 Need to make very wide turns to prevent from tearing crap up.
#5 The current steel tracks I believe were cheaper aftermarket and stretch so im always adjusting the links (every week or so)it can be a PIA if your in the woods and need to get stuff done.
My experience is stated above my opinion is stated below.

I've operated a handful of skid steers, for larger bodied ones 8k or bigger 70+ hp steel tracks are amazing for clearing land, working in sandy or muddy ground.
Id never use rubber tracks in the woods.
If you have a two speed id be apprehensive of using high gear with steel tracks. (thats my opinion)
With tracks over wheels you don't have to worry as much about undercarriage problems.

Hope this helps any questions let me know

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ??? #17  
I like my loegring ott metal tracks. Have em on my 90xt. When I’m in the timber or anywhere soft they’re a life saver. I think they tear up the ground a lot less than just my tires when in soft stuff. On gravel or hard pack I just make sure I take it easy turning. Makes it a whole different machine. Granted I’ve never ran a rubber tracked machine so maybe I’m missing out on something.

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ??? #18  
Looking at a set of steel also. I like the wheel machine and have run wheel machines starting with a Case 540 many years ago. I currently have a Case 1845 (no, not C) and while I can do most of what I want to do on the wheels, there are a few things that I would like to get into that would result in me pushing myself out with the bucket more than working.
Not using it to make a living anymore, just a yard toy.
woodfit.jpg

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ??? #19  
OP, check out YouTube. There are a lot of videos on the subject from contractors that have ran them for years/decades.

If a wheeled machine is "useless", then you bought the wrong machine for the job. Tracks have their place, but they come with many downsides. I'm with Sonny580...I would never consider a tracked machine. Purchase price is higher, tracks are expensive, bogeys & sprockets to wear out, and what do you do if you pop a track off in the middle of the woods by yourself? I prefer a tire machine for where I live, in the woods. Tree stumps, rocks, branches, off-camber hills....all will throw a track if you give it the chance.
CAT offers a skid steer model with real steel tracks, like a dozer. That would be the only compromise I'd live with...however I believe the price is astronomical.

299D-steel-tracks.jpg
Um, it basically the same as a rubber. Same sprocket, idlers, and rollers. Same grease piston that keeps track tension.

/ OVER TIRES TRACKS questions hands on experience ??? #20  
I had a NH LX565 for several years that I bought a set McLaren OTT tracks for. I would install them or remove them as needed, took maybe 45 min to an hour. I was very impressed with them. At the time I was using them in muddy and sandy conditions. They worked very well in both situations.

While the tracked machines have their place, They are more expensive to purchase and maintain. They are also heavier (makes a difference when you are trying to stay under CDL limits).