Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #511  
I live about 35 miles from Portland and about 7 miles from a small town . . . no homeless to be found anywhere here.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #512  
Homelessness is an urban problem.

When I was a kid, row crop farmers maintained migrant labor camps. They were one and two room shacks, surrounding a central bath/laundry/kitchen that everybody shared. We would always work up an acre or so of irrigated ground as a community garden. Of course, if someone didn't work they got evicted, and the farmer wouldn't wait for the sheriff to do it. If they made it easier to get rid of bad actors, camps like that would work in urban areas. If you can't get along with people, you're out. If you can't keep the area clean, you're out. If you damage property, you're out.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #513  
Yes Larry I grew up on a smallish farm we had shacks out in the fields for the "bums" (seasonal workers) to live in most all farms back then had them . . . as a young boy I made friends with some . . . most would come back every year for work.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #514  
Homelessness is an urban problem.

When I was a kid, row crop farmers maintained migrant labor camps. They were one and two room shacks, surrounding a central bath/laundry/kitchen that everybody shared. We would always work up an acre or so of irrigated ground as a community garden. Of course, if someone didn't work they got evicted, and the farmer wouldn't wait for the sheriff to do it. If they made it easier to get rid of bad actors, camps like that would work in urban areas. If you can't get along with people, you're out. If you can't keep the area clean, you're out. If you damage property, you're out.
In Vancouver WA, across the river from Portland:

Twenty-one tiny homes will be built, with six already finished and more on the way to production.

Each home costs around $156,000 to build and should last 50 years.

“We didn’t seek just for lowest unit cost upon entry, but we saw it for lowest lifetime cost,” Thobaben said.

Each home will be about 408 square feet and house one to three tenants, with half of the tiny homes being ADA accessible. A washer and dryer, air conditioning and solar panels will be included. Utilities will be around $50 per month — with total rent at $650.

Bruce

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #515  

Twenty-one tiny homes will be built, with six already finished and more on the way to production.

“We didn’t seek just for lowest unit cost upon entry, but we saw it for lowest lifetime cost,” Thobaben said.

Each home will be about 408 square feet and house one to three tenants, with half of the tiny homes being ADA accessible. A washer and dryer, air conditioning and solar panels will be included. Utilities will be around $50 per month — with total rent at $650.

Bruce
That's pretty a pretty steep price for a shack, though I suppose the current inflation rate will cut the price by 1/3 in less than a decade.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #516  
After homeless move in and destroy the property their value will drop like a rock.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #517  
After homeless move in and destroy the property their value will drop like a rock.
$650/month rent will keep the bums out. There's a lot of decent low income people who have been inflated out of their homes. The big challenge will be maintenance in a decade or so when $650 will buy you four meal deals at Mickey D's.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #518  

Bruce
There is probably 21 people in some blocks in Portland . . .

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #519  
I live about 35 miles from Portland and about 7 miles from a small town . . . no homeless to be found anywhere here.
interesting kink in portland, possible the same everywhere.

there are HUGE encampments under many highway over passes, they live under bridges. state highways running thru town.

a portland buddy explained to me that in many cases the actual bridge is under the control of one govt entity while the land under the bridge is controlled by a different govt entity and, believe it or not, neither entity wants to deal with it so they point fingers at each other.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #520  
The railroads seem to be the least affected when it comes to railroad property as they have their own police force?

This morning new shopping carts loaded appeared since yesterday.

I provide plenty of parking lot trash receptacles but they are often empty and trash simply strewn about the premises.

No agency willingly takes the lead and often there are overlapping so nothing happens...

Law Enforcement for the most part ignore the issue.

One street person consistently broke windows and caused general mayhem for years. Not until he threw rocks at the mail truck and letter carrier suspended service was the problem resolved...

Shows there are limits or lines that cannot be crossed.