Pat's Easy Change Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online!

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #671  
I got a set of the Pat's. Installed on my Kubota L5740. Top link is too short.

I went to Tractor Supply and got an extra long Cat 1 (my original is Cat 1 on one end, Cat II on the other) and it just barely fits. I don't think it will give me the full range of adjustment.

Does anyone else have a L5740 with these quick hooks on it? If so, what did you do for your top link and where did you get it?

I thought about a CatII link but the attachment point on the tractor is 1.75" wide and Cat II is 2" wide.

Thanks.

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #672  
My neighbor had a L5640 (same dimensions) and put on a set of Pat's.

He had it set up in CAT II specifications so the need for a longer top link wasn't an issue.

A CAT II top link can be modified to fit a CAT 1 attachment point by grinding off the sides of the ball. There is usually a lip on the ball to allow this. Even then, if you have to grind off more...do it. It won't hurt the top link. Be sure to use the correct bushing to reduce the CAT II ball to CAT 1 measurements.

BTW, Tractor Supply has an extra long CAT 1 top link that might work.

CountyLine Adjustable Top Link, Cat. 1, Extra Long - For Life Out Here

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #673  
The extra long CAT1 top link is what I bought. It is barely long enough to work.

I'm not understanding "He had it set up in CAT II specifications so the need for a longer top link wasn't an issue". Mine has also been set up for CAT II BUT the attachment point is 1.75" wide. The CAT II side of the Kubota toplink is narrow enough to work. Other CAT II toplinks I've looked at are about 2" wide.

Thanks for the recommendation on grinding one down. If I don't hear a better idea, that is what I may have to do.

Thanks, again.

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #674  
The extra long CAT1 top link is what I bought. It is barely long enough to work.

I'm not understanding "He had it set up in CAT II specifications so the need for a longer top link wasn't an issue". Mine has also been set up for CAT II BUT the attachment point is 1.75" wide. The CAT II side of the Kubota toplink is narrow enough to work. Other CAT II toplinks I've looked at are about 2" wide.

Thanks for the recommendation on grinding one down. If I don't hear a better idea, that is what I may have to do.

Thanks, again.

Wow, the "extra long" CAT 1 top link from Tractor Supply adjusts out to 32". A Pat's only adds about 4". So if you didn't have a Pat's you'd need a 28" top link. Something is off about those numbers.

The length of a "standard" CAT II top length is 32". Thus, it is the same length as the CAT 1 Tractor Supply "extra long" top link. No grinding would be necessary if you got the "extra long" top link.

I've ground down the ball on a BX2200 CAT 0 hitch when a CAT 1 top link was put on. You only need to do one end usually.

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #675  
I made some notes yesterday, will check them again today.
Factory TL normal operating length to hook up Landscape Rake = 31"
Max Factory TL length (that I'd feel comfortable using) = 33"
To hook up rake once I installed the Pat's, I needed 35"

I'll check those numbers again, today.

I also was doing all this in the bay (large rock base, #4s, I think) where the tractor is stored. I had the rake on it at the time I got the Pat's. I unhooked the rake, moved the tractor forward, installed the Pat's and moved the tractor back to hook up.

I think I'll try hooking something else up today.

I hope it is something stupid I'm doing/have done and an easy fix.

Thanks for the assistance.

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #676  
Oh, another thing I "discovered" yesterday.

For the 3 years I've had this tractor, my TL has been set so that the Cat I side is attached to the tractor and the Cat II side is attached to the implement. I didn't even think about reversing it.

Almost every implement I have uses a Cat I TL pin. Therefore, I've had to use a bushing to hook up everything. I can't remember how many times I've dropped the bushing when attempting to line everything up. Many times I've thought "I wish I didn't need this **** bushing". Well, had I just reversed the TL, I could have saved a lot of trouble. Yep, would still need a bushing but it would be on the tractor instead of the end that I'm always unhooking and re-hooking.

If I can find a Cat I TL that is long enough, I look forward to not having to play with bushings anymore.

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #677  
I hooked things up and conducted some measurements this morning.

Kubota Top Link old (before Pat's) setting center to center was 30.75"
Min setting is 18.5"
Body is 15.5" long
TSC extra long link body is 20" long
Threaded shank on Kubota is 2" longer (has built in stop - can't remove completely) than on TSC model.

So, the Kubota body is 4.5" shorter but the shanks are 2" longer, each. That explains why the "extra long" TSC doesn't make much difference.

I then hooked up my LPGS, Pat's hooks still on, moved to a level surface and put it down, level. The TL measurement required is 33.25", center to center.

I've done some searching and found (and ordered) this off amazon: Amazon.com : Hitch Top Link Farm Tractor Cat. I Top Link 24" Body Adjust 29" To 39" Overall : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The (1) review looks like he had a similar problem. Hope this will solve the issue. Thanks to all for your assistance.

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #678  
There is another option for a really, really long top link. (I had to make a really short one but its the same idea.)

Cut the body of the top link in half (but leave the center hole/lever intact). Weld a length of pipe between the two haves to get the total length you want.

If you don't weld, a welding shop could do something like that in a jiffy. Not sure of the price.

Whoops! I wrote the above before seeing your post.

It looks like the Amazon product will work for what you need. Pretty good price, too. (And the review answer is to hammer the pin through the hole.)

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #679  
As this place has been a wealth of information and my search has not turned up the answer:

Should I expect to have to remove the Pat's if I want to use my Post Hole Digger? My search found info that a normal quick hitch caused problems with the PHD but I can't find anything relating to Pat's hitch.

/ Pat's Easy Change System - Order Online! #680  
As this place has been a wealth of information and my search has not turned up the answer:

Should I expect to have to remove the Pat's if I want to use my Post Hole Digger? My search found info that a normal quick hitch caused problems with the PHD but I can't find anything relating to Pat's hitch.

A PHD attaches differently at the top link. The top link is replaced by a non-adjustable tube (mast). That would likely cause problems with a standard QH since the main tube must attach WAY further back than a standard QH frame allows. Since a Pat's has no top link attachment, it should be fine.

A Pat's will move the lower attachment point a bit farther away from the tractor. This will allow the PHD to be raised a bit higher but shouldn't make a difference in digging because the yoke of the PHD swivels.

I've used a PHD with Pat's on a Kubota L3650 that I previously owned and it worked fine. You'll have to try it on yours to be sure it works as you want.

I really don't see a problem. But post back so we all can learn from your situation.