Pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Pet peeves #1,821  
^^ Still done. Watch for T shaped painted marks along the shoulders. Usually at 1/10th mile intervals that the planes use to calculate speeds. I-94 in western Michigan used to be a fun place. Planes would fly over picking out violators. They'd radio to a waiting fleet of marked units. And I do mean fleet. Sometimes 20 or more lined up on an entrance ramp, maybe 10 in each direction. First unit in line would take the next intercept. Once they finished, they'd go back and get at the end of the line. Just like cabs at airports back then. It was kind of funny to see 5 or 6 active traffic stops at a time within a mile or so of those staging ramps.

/ Pet peeves #1,822  
She is a thin lady but she spends the time and does a great job. I appreciate the extra time she spends and, like anything else, I will pay for quality work. Seems strange, but a good haircut makes a BIG difference to me.

Here in SoCal.. you sit down and get up, that's what is seems like to me. You talk when you first sit down, the Barber takes out an electric Shaver, Bing-Bam-Boom, all done. I am getting used to their methods but I don't enjoy going to the Barber's anymore.
Back in New England, the Barber takes their time, talks a little, asks if it is ok, then you pay him... that's worth a tip, even if it isn't a tip is necessary so the next one is ok.

The big problem here is turn-over, one barber gets the job done, the next time their gone, and of course no one knows where they went.

Hope all had a great Christmas !

/ Pet peeves #1,823  
I used to listen to the OPP on lowband catching speeders with aircaraft. They would have a great time.

/ Pet peeves #1,824  
Watch for T shaped painted marks along the shoulders. Usually at 1/10th mile intervals that the planes use to calculate speeds. I-94 in western Michigan used to be a fun place. Planes would fly over picking out violators. They'd radio to a waiting fleet of marked units. And I do mean fleet. Sometimes 20 or more lined up on an entrance ramp, maybe 10 in each direction. First unit in line would take the next intercept.

They did that here in N.H. back in the 80s-90s. Haven't seen much of that since. Dunno if the practice has been discontinued, or it's just limited to the southern part of the state.

Ohio requires any police vehicle used for traffic enforcement to be marked and exterior lights

Which is as it should be IMHO. I know I for one would be reluctant to pull over for a totally civilian vehicle with lights behind the grill, especially at night or in a sparsely populated area. You never know who it is.
Then again, I'm not a leadfoot.

Here in SoCal.. you sit down and get up, that's what is seems like to me. You talk when you first sit down, the Barber takes out an electric Shaver, Bing-Bam-Boom, all done. I am getting used to their methods but I don't enjoy going to the Barber's anymore.
Back in New England, the Barber takes their time, talks a little, asks if it is ok, then you pay him... that's worth a tip, even if it isn't a tip is necessary so the next one is ok.

Are these chain barbershops/salons in a mall, or are "neighborhood" shops the same way? My wife's been cutting mine for many years, but my recollection is that any shop I ever went to was "folksy" as you describe...sometimes to the point where you almost wish they'd talk less and cut more. :laughing:
Then again, I'm in New England...

/ Pet peeves #1,825  
My wife showed me this 'feature' in her car today.
Move Ahead.jpg

Seems to be made for the distracted drivers looking down at the phone while in line.

/ Pet peeves #1,826  
Clear plastic wrap dispensers, how come they can't come up with a decent one! Seriously am I the only one? If you don't destroy it trying to open the box, it is trashed by the third time you use it. The industrial counter top ones work, but come on who has space for that. The wife bought a roll from Costco, the roll is going to out last me. The box/dispenser lasted a week. We tried a couple aftermarket ones, but they didn't work.
My wife just accepts it cause that is the way it has always been.....
Am I going to have to accept this like I now accept Microsoft windows!

/ Pet peeves #1,827  
Clear plastic wrap dispensers, how come they can't come up with a decent one! Seriously am I the only one? If you don't destroy it trying to open the box, it is trashed by the third time you use it. The industrial counter top ones work, but come on who has space for that. The wife bought a roll from Costco, the roll is going to out last me. The box/dispenser lasted a week. We tried a couple aftermarket ones, but they didn't work.
My wife just accepts it cause that is the way it has always been.....
Am I going to have to accept this like I now accept Microsoft windows!

FWIW...some may or may not know about the tabs on the ends of dispenser boxes for rolled material (i.e., wax paper, foil, plastic wrap etc..) once those tabs are pushed in the roll tube is locked inside the box and makes dispensing easier than when the roll flies out and dispenses foil etc across the kitchen floor...!

/ Pet peeves #1,830  

The place I go has about 4 chairs, usually with 2 people cutting hair, mostly women. We have 3 military installations in the county so the short trim look is common. My lady barber always remembers me, If I do not talk, she does not talk. She is fast but not in a rush. She tells me about her life in Russia and Japan and moved here because she says this is the best country in the world. Very patriotic, loves her family and loves her work. She once told me her father was a barber in Russia and he would drink on the job so she had to cut the mens hair when her father was too drunk. That is how she learned. Just a pleasant person. She gave me her schedule so I go there only when she is working and wait for her chair to open up. I look forward to it, like seeing a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.