Pete 335

/ Pete 335
You can lift the tag when you’re off road. If it’s sunk and still hitting the tag you’re probably stuck anyway. I’d like to see the specs on the 8.3 but I’m guessing it’s 250 hp 800 fp of torque. But it’s gears that get the job done and single axels are usually lacking on gears. I’d bet money on a tandem truck with lockers on the back and no power to the front beating this truck off road pulling the same 16 tons. 8 tires pulling beats 6 and that’s assuming the 6 wheeler has lockers on both ends which it probably doesn’t.
Why would you guess?
I already contacted local Pete dealer. According to the VIN, it’s 300/860.
I mean what’s so difficult about that? It was available up to 325/1000 in the PX-8 in 2009
The Pete has driver controlled locker according to seller.

Last edited:
   / Pete 335 #22  
Well, if you call 250Hp DT466s or CAT C7 at 275Hp more powerful than an 8.3L Cummins @ 300Hp “plain silly”, there not much left to discuss.

A C7 cat or DT466 isn’t enough motor in a tandem. You can get tandems with way more power than that. But you’re still ignoring the tandems have more gears. You can get all the power and gears that you want to pay for in a tandem.

Last edited:
   / Pete 335 #23  
Well, if you call 250Hp DT466s or CAT C7 at 275Hp more powerful than an 8.3L Cummins @ 300Hp “plain silly”, there not much left to discuss.
Torque moves the load, not horsepower. Frankly I wouldn't touch a C7 or an 8.3 in a tandem. And I sure wouldn't be looking at a DT of any displacement. I'm pretty certain I never mentioned a C7 or DT despite the C7's 300 hp 925 ft/lb top rating.
Frankly I think a 4wd chassis has more negative attributes than positives, but that's another discussion. Fuel economy, maneuverability, general maintenance and tire cost will be higher than a conventional twin screw. For a hay hauler it's something I have never seen and even uncommon for silage and grain hauling in most of the US.
Once again you are looking for affirmation and not constructive criticism. I wish you luck in your truck search.

/ Pete 335
I buy diesels mostly by displacement and torque. The manufacturer says it’s rated at 860tq, actually pretty high for a single axle back in 2009. All the IH’s are 466/530 which are a really small displacement/HP and torque for a 6x. The Freightliners have many different engines, but most are lower HP/th than this one.
This truck I found was a 4x with 300/860. Not a power house by any means, but more than 9 out of 10 tandems I have found.
The real kicker is I can get it pretty cheap, it has low hours, low miles and a Pete cab
I am a former owner of a IH4800 4x4 and it didn’t have maneuverability issues at all. My current Case-IH magnum has a 8.3L Cummins and it’s hands down the best tractor engine I own.

The constructive criticism is totally fine, but I don’t understand the dislike of the 8.3L? In my area, it’s a much sought after engine. It’s found in all kinds of AG and construction equipment. I don’t hear anything bad about them.
If the key is displacement, they have more than a DT or a C7. If you want torque, this one has a higher TQ rating than most of the tandems I am driving.

Last edited:
   / Pete 335
A C7 cat or DT466 isn’t enough motor in a tandem. You can get tandems with way more power than that. But you’re still ignoring the tandems have more gears. You can get all the power and gears that you want to pay for in a tandem.

So let’s slow all this down a bit, because you are incorrect. The Pete is a single, not a tandem.
I am looking for a used truck in the under 50-k range, I don’t have an unlimited budget
Looking at moderately used Tandem or heavy built single with automatic and all wheel drive.
I never said I wanted a C7 or DT466. I said that’s what virtually all the local trucks in my price range are equipped with. So far, all have been IH Or Freightliners with DT 466/530 or C7 and a few 5.9s.
Now I found this Pete, pretty cheap, in nice shape, with an 8.3L Cummins with a higher rating than I usually see.

“tandems have more gears”

No, they don’t, not when they have an automatic. I have driven a couple with allison automatics and they have either 5 or 6 gears. Same as a single.

“you can get all the power and gears you want to pay for in a tandem“

yeah, maybe but I don’t have all that money to pay for the higher priced tandems with more HP and I don’t want a manual. Those are way out of my price range.

I can do this 2 ways…a long tandem-say 25’, or a shorter single-say 16’, and pull a 25’ trailer. The single with the trailer will haul a lot more hay and also be more maneuverable. Also, when unloaded, it will be great for getting in/out smaller fields for smaller deliveries. Add the trailer for bigger fields and bigger delivery

Last edited:
   / Pete 335 #26  
You can want whatever you want but a 10 speed manual will run circles around a 5 or 6 speed automatic especially when it doesn’t have enough power.

/ Pete 335 #28  
a
You can want whatever you want but a 10 speed manual will run circles around a 5 or 6 speed automatic especially when it doesn’t have enough power.
And has to push a 4wd axle down the road. There isn't a truck of any size that exists that has as much available hp and equal fuel mileage in 4wd trim than in 2wd. Speaking of which, what's the axle ratio in this Pete?

/ Pete 335 #29  
a

And has to push a 4wd axle down the road. There isn't a truck of any size that exists that has as much available hp and equal fuel mileage in 4wd trim than in 2wd. Speaking of which, what's the axle ratio in this Pete?

Here’s my 750 in it’s last gear. This is a 6 speed manual with a fixed rear. I wanted a different option than that but this truck checked every other box I wanted.
IMG_0573.JPG

/ Pete 335 #30  
You will be fine with the 10speed.

My single axle Freightliner had the 330HP MB engine with 8LL and it was fine.

IMG_5951.jpg

I did the opposite of you. I SHORTENED the wheelbase. LOL.