Phase Converters

/ Phase Converters #41  
While on the topic, once I get my shop built I have a 3hp 3 phase 440V mill that I got cheap, my house doesn't have 3 phase... I will be getting a panel set up for the shop but I don't think 3 phase is doable, it is only a 100' run from the power pole though...

Anyone know of any options to get a VFD from single phase 220 to 440V 3 phase?

Supply 5HP 240V VFD with 240 single phase . Output from VFD feeding into a 3KW 240/480V three phase transformer. Connect motor to 440 side of transformer .

/ Phase Converters #42  
Supply 5HP 240V VFD with 240 single phase . Output from VFD feeding into a 3KW 240/480V three phase transformer. Connect motor to 440 side of transformer .

Simple enough, maybe I'll be able to locate a used transformer though... ouch :)

/ Phase Converters #44  
I love my transformers! Just wiring another up as I write this. Thanks Mr. TESLA!

/ Phase Converters #46  
Or get a reactor instead of transformer if you need filtering.

/ Phase Converters #47  
Commercial units for HVAC are mostly three phase input as you note, however, there are many drives now that are designed for single phase input.
Are you in the US?

/ Phase Converters #48  
This works but it limits you to V/Hz mode because the VFD will fail an auto tune. And it requires a 3ph transformer which is more expensive. Unless you already have all the components on hand to build the system you described, it would be better IMO to get a 480V VFD and single phase transformer and step up 240V to 480V then go into the VFD with single phase 480V. Cheaper transformer and now you can perform an autotune and run in sensorless vector mode for better speed regulation.