pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #81  
I have a 2003 F250 diesel that uses more fuel towing a trailer than my 2015 F150 EcoBoost with the same load. Difference is the diesel has a higher tow capacity. Size - we have pickups on our farms from the 1970s to the 2015 and except for the extended cabs, not a lot of difference in size. Extended cabs have 6.5' beds while regular cabs have 8' beds. All are sized to hold a 4 x 8 sheet between wheel wells. My first pickup, a '73 F250 with 390 got 9 mpg on the Interstate while the '15 F-150 gets 22 at the same speed. The '03 diesel will get 16. We have a compact SUV for daily driving when we don't need the utility of the pickups but I can't tow a trailer hauling my equipment, I can't send my wife in to get a tote (2000#) of seed, I can't really ask her to get a 8' 2 x 4 in the little SUV. So the pickup will do things the SUV can't while there is little the SUV can do that my pickups can't (aggravate arthritis in my knees and back, but does get 34 mpg on the Interstate).

/ pickup truck size #82  
I think what you're getting at is the shift away from the 1960s "longbed" pickups which were a full 8ft by a bit more than 4ft between the wheel wells so you could fit plywood (no OSB then) in with the tailgate closed. We were different then: not so rich, not so fat, not so addicted to big gulps, latte fraps, designer beers, although cigarrettes killed quite a few back then. Now we want cup holders, gps, surround stereo and Siri to make us feel right. Go to any "poor" country and you'll see variations of how we used to be: bicycles with trailers, 90cc motorcycles hauling huge amounts of freight (and entire families), people walking. The old days weren't easy but you could work on your own vehicles and they did more work than today's fancy ones.
Too true, but not all of us fat, lazy Americans want luxury pickups, but we are all paying the price because of those that do. What we need is another gas shortage to drive the price of pickups back down to earth.

I don't get the complaining about bed size when there are plenty of configurations with an 8' bed if you want one. What am I missing?

/ pickup truck size #83  
The truth is, they will sell you a new pu that isn't loaded to the gills and cost less...

Problem is, they don't stock them because no one buys them!

SR
And there it is, we are our own problem - I don't like the cost, size, and all the features I had to take with it, but now I wouldn't do without any of them. I really like ALL the features on it. But in the end, whatever it is, we seem to love our trucks. In 2018, I REALLY liked the Canyon mid size truck. However, the tow capacity was not enough to pull my trailer. Also, I saw other posts about automatic tran. I don't think you can even get a manual trans on many vehicles anymore.
You are right. If we don't buy them, they will all be special order (or not at all)

/ pickup truck size #84  
I bought my current truck, a GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 W/T Reg cab when the next year was coming out so I got a great deal. It was the last year the cast iron block (LMG) 5.3 L was being used (2013) and it has very few options. It has the HD trailer pkg, snow plow prep, camper mirrors, and 5.3 v8. Sure, I could get a new truck but this is exactly what I NEED and with all the rebates when I bought it, was a great buy. Yes, it has a rubber floor, crank windows, manual locks, manual T-case, and steel wheels.

/ pickup truck size #85  
Starting out by saying I would love to have a smaller PU for DD, something like what they get in Australia.

That being said I love my SuperDuty. I have the top trim Platinum and why not. In the 30 months I have owned this truck I have put 100k miles on it. That is with the truck sitting for a few months because of the pandemic and my surgery. I tow often, love the power and the size.

Plus I don't care that my neighbor has a blinged out truck by GM of the same size. He never tows, waxes it every weekend and I doubt there is ever anything in the bed. He sure seems to love it though.

What does get me is people pulling massive RV's with undersized trucks. I see it all the time and it sends shivers down my spine. It's not about the towing/pulling people it's about the stopping :)

/ pickup truck size #86  
Me personally, I drive a 2001 Ford F-150 with cloth seats and 4x4. I bought it for 7,500 a couple years ago and put about $2,000 into it. Still cheaper than the new trucks and should last 7-8 years.

I have a white collar job but still can't afford (or reason) a new truck. Yes, all of the fancy do dads are nice but I want reliability and reparability. I would have crank windows if I could!

I actually use my truck for working too and that's why I went from my 01 sport trac to the F150 but even the sport trac was overworked. the new trucks are so high I cant reach over the side, and I'm 6'3". it also messes with trailers too with this massive height lifts the front of goosenecks and 5th wheels. it's just pointless.

Now I do like the increased tow and haul capacity but that shouldn't require the massively higher cost. Guys that actually use these big trucks to hit these loads and do this kind of work, need to be able to afford them!

I just wish they would make a stripped down standard cab/long box 2500 diesel with basic features for under $20k. It's a dream but I'd buy that!

/ pickup truck size #87  
Actually the GM 25/35 trucks have a gooseneck rating of more than 32k. I should know, I designed it.
When I was buying last year, the GM4500/5500/6500 had a max GCWR of mid 30's.
RAM was 43,000 and that sold me right there.

/ pickup truck size #88  
Just want a utilitarian truck with a regular cab and an 8' bed, it doesn't need to be aggressively designed or have 300HP. Just needs to haul stuff from A to B, and have 4x4 and enough ground clearance to drive in a field or a gravel bar. Something like a mid 90s F-150 would be ideal, but I don't want to have to depend on a 25 year old truck.

Even a current year base F-150 is just too big. Truck makers seem less concerned with functionality and are more concerned with making some kind of socio-political statement.
Not sure what you mean by a truck making a socio-political statement.
One head scratcher for me is some of hype on electric trucks promising 3 second 0-60 times. Even in a sports car that's more acceleration than 99% of drivers can handle, in a truck? Why? Well other than because they can. :rolleyes:

/ pickup truck size #89  
Ya 10mpg if you are lucky;new trucks mostly get double that.The small modern trucks are not that much smaller than full size and don't get much better mileage.
If they built that same truck with the fuel injection and overdrive transmissions we have now that would make a big difference. Just a good plain work truck with some newer technology that is actually USEFUL.

/ pickup truck size #90  
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Personally i feel both are true: we now use pickups for in a wider range of activities, & want having it packed into one large size. But dang, the price & size
Hey, just as a simple metaphor to compare: look at the vat sized drink tumblers now served @ fast foods. do we really need it?

On the flip side, i've also noticed that especially since '08 crash, Detroit has done an outstanding job of producing more fuel efficient & modest sized passenger vehicles...strange. So tell me about the big pickup truck size craze. Again, not dumping, just observing.
Apologize in advance if this seems like an inane post, but i'm blown away every day of what the full size pickup has now become. best regards
Ya 10mpg if you are lucky;new trucks mostly get double that.The small modern trucks are not that much smaller than full size and don't get much better mileage.
its sort of a shame to see this truth. I had a 1995 Toyota for close to 20 years. 300k on the clock, never any problems. Well, except for having to turn off the AC when going up a grade. Despite this, it did anything I needed and was adroit and nimble, easy to park, and once I disabled the clutch lockout, never had anything to tell me except fuel, oil pressure temp and time. I rarelly tow and is i did it was only lightweight stuff so no issues there. Who needs more? Unfortunately I was t-boned and despite merely the jump seat area being smashed, it was considered totaled. I drove it for months while I searched for a replacement, there was nothing even close in the years 2001-2015 which was my goal. At least no manual trans 6 cylinder. I was paid out way more than it cost when I bought it back in 2003. I finally had to settle for a 2018 and it has been a rough adjustment. It is Just Too Big, despite being a longbed/utility cab. Hard to park, yeah, takes up 2/3 of the road. Literal bells and whistles and features I still haven’t figured out, and the ones I do get are pointless. But, it was a manual, and 4x, considered rare even. I have already been offered more than what I paid for it. I’d trade in a minute if I could find the elusive older model.