Pin Hole Too Big

/ Pin Hole Too Big #71  
Sometimes they hammer out easily. Other times even a 20t press wont get it, you just have to try and see.

A die grinder der and smapp carbide bur to split the bushing makes them come out easy if all else fails

/ Pin Hole Too Big #72  
Thx for the new pix. This is a real puzzle. How one side would be ok and the other side such a mess. And as LD1 says, what happened to make the pin start chewing up the swing frame, while the part of the pin in the cylinder rod end stayed more or less ok.

/ Pin Hole Too Big #73  
Thx for the new pix. This is a real puzzle. How one side would be ok and the other side such a mess. And as LD1 says, what happened to make the pin start chewing up the swing frame, while the part of the pin in the cylinder rod end stayed more or less ok.

I would say that the cylinder end was hard fasted to the pin. No rotation put all the force above andbelow that area, which had no grease so it wore out the hole in the swing arm which is softer than the pin.

/ Pin Hole Too Big #74  
I would say that the cylinder end was hard fasted to the pin. No rotation put all the force above andbelow that area, which had no grease so it wore out the hole in the swing arm which is softer than the pin.
Yep. My guess would be that the grease zerk on the cylinder stopped taking grease and whoever did the service didn't notice, or didn't care until the pin fell out. Then they probbaly welded it back together a couple of times and eventually put the washer on top.

Aaron Z

/ Pin Hole Too Big #75  
The way the pin is retained, it HAS to rotate withing the cylinder clevis. It CANNOT rotate within the swing post unless the bracket breaks.

Which is quite possibly what happened. THEN it would be allowed to spin in the swing post. Which wasn't bushed with hard material, because as designed...it isn't needed

/ Pin Hole Too Big #76  
Was the paint fresh, or had they been running it like that for a while?
IMO, fresh paint on something at an auction is a red flag. If they had been running with the washer for a while, they probably put it on to get it back in service while they were getting a replacement in (or waiting till the next budget year to order a new one).

True, but if they have been using it like that for a time, they may not have considered it to be more than "normal wear and tear" for such a machine.

Aaron Z

Around here, we call that the Five Gallon Finish...lol

I've seen some 'pretty' units where the 'finisher' just painted over old grease and called it good. Some things (especially at auctions) amaze me. Some buyers amaze me as well.

/ Pin Hole Too Big #77  
The way the pin is retained, it HAS to rotate withing the cylinder clevis. It CANNOT rotate within the swing post unless the bracket breaks.

Which is quite possibly what happened. THEN it would be allowed to spin in the swing post. Which wasn't bushed with hard material, because as designed...it isn't needed
It was broke in the picture

/ Pin Hole Too Big #78  
1461900103222.jpg

/ Pin Hole Too Big #79  
It was broke in the picture

Yep. But could have have broke during removal.

In either case, once fixed and kept freely spinning with lube in the cylinder eye, the swing frame shouldn't wear at all

/ Pin Hole Too Big #80  
Looking at the welds on the bottom of the worn pin, I would guess that it was re-welded several times.

Aaron Z