PJ Trailers

/ PJ Trailers #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I recently sold a job to a guy who is a PJ Trailer rep. He told me he'd give me wholesale pricing on a trailer, so that seems attractive. Their promo material sounds great (as expected!). Any real world feedback out there?

FWIW, I would be looking for a trailer that could handle my Kubota B3030-Cab with FEL and Woods BH. I'm thinking a tilt-bed (for clearance issues with BH attached) at 7000 Gross would be a good option. Any comments?

/ PJ Trailers #2  
What do you mean 7k gross. A 7k payload or a 7k GVWR trailer? If you’re thinking trailer you’re nuts. I’d go 12k minimum. I have a 20’+2 flatbed trailer with 7k axles. A tractor
With a backhoe is pretty long. Throw another implement on there and it’s tough to dial in the tongue weight. You’re better off having a couple tons of leeway payload wise. Your trailer will last longer.

/ PJ Trailers
What do you mean 7k gross. A 7k payload or a 7k GVWR trailer? If you’re thinking trailer you’re nuts.

Nuts? Wow. Where does that come from?

According to what I've found, the B3030 cab is 2271#. LA403 loader with bucket is 461# and the BX-80 is 858#, a total of just under 3600#*. A 7k GVWR trailer at 20' (referenced in OP) is around 2700#, leaving 4300# capacity, or over 700# leeway for extras. If I have the BH attached I'm unlikely to be using any other implements. If I don't have the BH attached I have over 1500# additional capacity available; I can't imagine needing to move that many implements in my "work".

*I may just take it to the shop on my son-in-laws 14k trailer and weigh it with our forklift scale, but I doubt it will be too far off from that. Certainly not by 500#.

With a tilt-bed I am expecting to be able to judge the COG and adjust tongue weight thereby (in addition to the tilt bed, I have air suspension on my truck, which levels itself automatically, giving a sense as to how much load is being added).

If you have specific data contrary to the above I would love to see it, as I want no part in contributing to the roadside clutter.

Regards,

/ PJ Trailers #4  
I have a 20'/14,000 PJ trailer...

standard.jpg

I like it a lot and if needed I'd buy it over again...

SR

/ PJ Trailers #5  
Nuts? Wow. Where does that come from?

Wow, that was a rather rude comment, wasn't it.

I have a B3030 with the BH76 I trailer on an 18-foot dovetail 7K GVW car hauler, no issues and fits fine. I do load the tractor with the backhoe facing forward so I get the proper tongue loading weight. If I remember right, the tractor in this configuration comes in around 3,600 pounds. I do not run loaded tires. I use the Weight Safe drop hitch with the built in scale so I know what the tongue weight is (+- 50 pounds).

20170819_121504.jpg

/ PJ Trailers #6  
For the money I would get a 10k capacity just to be safe, that way you have some wiggle room if you ever upgrade or have to help someone move something. Sounds like you have the truck to pull it but to be sure what’s the tow vehicle? I have never personally thought “man I wish I had a smaller trailer” but I have said the opposite.
In terms of length I would also go a bit longer than what you need, gives you room to balance the load.

Best of luck, you can’t go wrong getting a trailer at a deal. Rye

/ PJ Trailers
I have a B3030 with the BH76 I trailer on an 18-foot dovetail 7K GVW car hauler, no issues and fits fine. I do load the tractor with the backhoe facing forward so I get the proper tongue loading weight. If I remember right, the tractor in this configuration comes in around 3,600 pounds. I do not run loaded tires. I use the Weight Safe drop hitch with the built in scale so I know what the tongue weight is (+- 50 pounds).

Very helpful - thanks. I wasn't aware of a built-in scale availability - will look into that.

I'll be towing with a 2015 Ram 1500. Towing capacity is, I believe, just over 10,000.

/ PJ Trailers #8  
I didn’t realize a 30 hp tractor was that light. I still think a 7k GVWR trailer is too light though. I would go at least 10k.

/ PJ Trailers #9  
7k will be fine. And you will have more leeway than you think.

If the tractor is 3600# and trailer is 2700, that is 6300# total. With 700# wiggle room

Now put 600# on the hitch of the truck, now your trailer axles are 1300# UNDER what you are rated for.

So alot more wiggle room than you think.

I dont know how long a B is with a hoe, but a hoe may not be the longest implement you ever want to carry. Do you have a 5' bushhog? Hook it up, measure you overall length. Then decide if you think 20' is what you want

/ PJ Trailers
Now put 600# on the hitch of the truck, now your trailer axles are 1300# UNDER what you are rated for.

Never considered that! Good point.

I dont know how long a B is with a hoe, but a hoe may not be the longest implement you ever want to carry. Do you have a 5' bushhog? Hook it up, measure you overall length. Then decide if you think 20' is what you want

The hoe is off right now, but I measured the two pieces separately and it looks like right under 20' total. They guy that delivered it did so on a 16' landscape trailer, bucket hanging over the front and hoe over the back... I do have a 5' brush hog, which seems to be about the same length as the hoe (8'), so I think 20' is the way to go.