Buying Advice Planning to buy used.... got some questions.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #1  

J.Wal

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3130
I recently used my uncles Kubota L4400 to bush hog my back yard area. I am on 5.5 acre. I plan to buy a used tractor in the 35hp range. I am located just outside Memphis TN and want a brand that has a dealer within a hour drive. I for sure have to have 4x4 and a FEL.

My first question is, how many hours are reasonable to have and still expect plenty of life left in it.

I plan to pull a 5' bush hog. Don't want a mower wider than my back tires, so what would be some good models / brands to be on the look out for that will have dealer support near me?

I know kubota, mahindra, and New Holland tractors are some good brands.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #2  
Hard to say for sure. Up to a thousand should be good. Two thousand if well maintained. Plenty with a lot more that still work fine. I would compare a car with 100,000-125,000 to a tractor with 2 thousand hours. Some would say that 100,000 for a diesel is just broken in.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #3  
I plan to buy a used tractor in the 35hp range. I am located just outside Memphis TN and want a brand that has a dealer within a hour drive.

What would be some good models / brands to be on the look out for that will have dealer support near me?

Your location should appear as part of your T-B-N Profile, so it shows in every post you make.

You know the Memphis area better than 99.999% of writers here. Determine proximate tractor dealers yourself.

The reliability of any tractor, new or used, is primarily determined by the experience and prudence of the operator(s). Consistency of service is second determinate of reliability. Brand/Model is third.

FIFTY-FIVE USED TRACTORS NEAR MEMPHIS: Tractors | eBay

Last edited:
   / Planning to buy used.... got some questions.
Your location should appear as part of your T-B-N Profile, so it shows in every post you make.

You know the Memphis area better than 99.999% of writers here. Determine proximate tractor dealers yourself.

The reliability of any tractor, new or used, is primarily determined by the experience and prudence of the operator(s). Consistency of service is second determinate of reliability. Brand/Model is third.

FIFTY-FIVE USED TRACTORS NEAR MEMPHIS: Tractors | eBay

Locations don't show for people using the Tapatalk app, so my purpose of mentioning location was to make it easy since I have seen in many other threads I have looked through on here, people have been asked where they are located.

I agree care makes a difference in the life of the tractor. But as the one mentioned above, a comparison of hours to miles on a car helps me know what is a reasonable area of hours to try and stay near.

Thanks for the help fellas.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #5  
To me its hard to go wrong with a kubota in the 30-40 hp range. Down here they have the market covered up from 40hp and down.
Several used Kubota on memphis craigslist and surrounding area with low hours with a decent price. Local credit union or banks will finance used at about 4% if you have good credit.
28-38 hp are going to take a 5' cutter and be about the same width as tires. Nice little kubota in the link below. Prices will be better on them in dec and jan if you arent in a hurry to get one.
Kubota L36 4x4 with loader - farm & garden - by dealer - sale

I will surly be waiting.

Got to pay off my car before I take on the tractor. Only own 6G on it so no big deal.

I will surly be waiting.

Got to pay off my car before I take on the tractor. Only own 6G on it so no big deal.

Here is an idea of what I am maintaining / recovering. Some areas need work. Once it's all recovered, then it will just be maintain.

This is just the small part of the back. If you look, I go back about 2 more acres from the top of the hill. It is not as clear and needs work.

I want something strong enough that I. An cut trees down, cut them in half or 3rd's and drag them to the ditch I have in the back.

IMG_1986.JPGIMG_1987.JPG

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #9  
I sort of never look at the price of something but what I can sell it for. To me, most good used equipment really doesn't cost anything, except to maintain and run. That, is if you got something that was high quality, cared for, and you will do the same. This does not apply to new, where you can't recover that initial depreciation.

A cared for Kubota will never lose its value like a car or truck. And they will only become more expensive.

I sort of never look at the price of something but what I can sell it for. To me, most good used equipment really doesn't cost anything, except to maintain and run. That, is if you got something that was high quality, cared for, and you will do the same. This does not apply to new, where you can't recover that initial depreciation.

A cared for Kubota will never lose its value like a car or truck. And they will only become more expensive.

Thanks! I am hoping to find low hours, but from what I gather here, good care goes a long way!

Mid winter I hope to be making a purchase! 35- 40 Hp Kubota probably.