Plasma Cutter recommendations.

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
In learning to weld, I've acquired a bit of scrap metal to practice on.

Tip: Ask to pick thru the scrap pile at a local fabricator. After all, you'll be bringing it back heavier than when you took it. If they are hesitant, offer to pay twice the scrap rate (about .08/lb here). LOTS cheaper than purchasing at HD or Lowes.

I have been cutting the scrap up with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. I'm quickly learning that cutting metal is every bit as important as sticking it together.

I'm considering a Plasma cutter and looking for any recommendations from this board.

Any words of wisdom, brands/models to look at?

I'm not wanting a comparison of plasma cutter to O/A torch. One of those will be in my future as well but I don't want to deal with the gas bottles just yet.

Thanks!

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations. #2  
Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics Victor engineer and build their own torches and are far superior to anything else out there. Either are great. Or study up on less cost brands and look for more modern Hypertherm 45 front end parts. My :2cents:

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations. #3  
My Hypertherm 45 does whatever I ask it to, when I want it to. Cut, gouge, expanded metal setting. Have cut 5/8 plate. Much happier with that than my old Lincoln.

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations. #4  
Those name brands will treat you well, if you are on the cheaper end I have one of the Harbor Freight inverter plasma cutters (not the Titanium one, just the Chicago Electric) and it is treating me well so far, but I've only had it a couple months, it's far superior to the Ramsond one I tried to cheap out and get the first time...

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations. #5  
I think this depends on the amount of expected usage and the max thickness you will be tackling. I did my research... tried a few first hand. I went with the Hypertherm 45xp. Yep paid a premium but it has worked beautifully. Overkill for many I am sure with occasional use and up to 1/4in requirements. At this stage of my life, I like buying tools that I will not max out and will hopefully outlast me.

BTW... thanks to yomax encouraging me to visit the Fabtech show a few years back. That show was an eye opener and a great place to learn what is out there in the fabrication world. BTW... this is where I got my chance to play with the Hypertherm and chat with Jim Colt and team. After playing with them I decided on the power of the 45XP vs 30XP.

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations. #6  
Hypertherm . A plasma is a big investment just for cutting up scrap. I do a fair amount of fab work and I stillcan't justify spending the money on a plasma .:drink:

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations. #7  
I bought a Colossal Tech Cut 50F with pilot arc off eBay that I am pleased with. It is 240V only. I didn't have a 240V outlet handy so I run it off my 10KW diesel generator. At full power it draws 26 amps and the output reads 54 amps. Don't have a bunch of time with it yet but what I've done seems it will do what I need. Only cut up to 1/4" so far. All my cutting has been 3/16" to 1/4" stuff. I set the amps to full and the air pressure to around 60 psi. Only had to change the tip consumables one time.

This was my first long cut on a 1/4" angle I cut one leg off of. The slag chipped right off with a hammer.

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations.
That Hypertherm certainly looks to be a good machine. It looks to be 2-3x more expensive than some of the other options. Probably be the way I'd go if I was a serious fabricator or pro.

I'm learning to weld because I've always wanted to do it and because I now have occasional need to do it. Much of my farm equipment is older and occasionally needs repairing. I recently did one repair where buying the welding machine cost me less than paying a welder to do it. Repair done AND I have a welding machine! Next repair is free!

I mentioned cutting up scrap for practice. That, alone, would not be enough for me to spend the money on a plasma cutter. There have been a couple of actual repairs I needed to get done and cutting the steel took much longer than anticipated with the angle grinder and the results were not what I wanted (straight? does the cut really have to be straight?).

Thanks for all the wisdom.

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations.
I've done a bit of research and the following questions come to mind:

What is "Gouging"? Is that like digging some metal out without going all the way thru?

Most videos I see show plasma cutters starting at the edge of a piece of steel. Is it possible to start in the middle? Is that what is meant by "Piercing ability"?

/ Plasma Cutter recommendations. #10  
I like to learn to weld and cut while watching TV. Or sometimes a little during my morning coffee.

IMG_5563.JPG

In truth, I think I have used my Hypertherm to best advantage in cutting scrap or equipment apart. Trying to make some really nice cuts, not so much. Well except on scrap! lol

Last edited: