Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #31  
I'm reading this thread and looking at the Clevis pins. Some are "flat", some are "twisted". Flat one have the hoop in line with the pin, twisted ones have the hoop 180 degrees out from the pin.

With all the pictures I've seen, it looks like it would not make a difference which one you use. In cases where the pin is on a 3 point drawbar that can rotate, it can't make a difference. In cases where it's on the drawbar attached under the transmission on the tractor, you can pick which hoop orientation you want but everything I'm seeing has a chain hooked to it and it wouldn't matter. This would also be the case for the 3 point drawbar that is fixed horizontally via some connection up to the top link.

So I'm just curious as to which applications would require one type vs. another.

Pete

I've got one of the "twisted" ones, saw it at the dealers and thought "gotta have it" I have a dozen of the straight ones.

I see what your getting at there isn't a big difference, the one app I come up with is it's easier to drop a chain thru or slap a slip hook on.

JB.

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #32  
As the picture with my post shows, I use the same kind of set-up with the grab hook on the clevis (mine's actually an anchor shackle)

100_3231.jpg

Works great for hauling one or two logs choked together, but a better set-up (which I'm building this winter) is a 3 point mounted triangle with a "hooking bar" of angle across the horizontal center of the triangle. Cut vertical slots in the hooking bar and you can lower the 3ph, slide the choker chains into the slots, lift up the 3 ph and drive away. Like a log winch sans winch. Or, a strong, but poor man's winch. You know what I mean...

Chilly

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #33  
4109817539_94bbfe4dc0.jpg

Here's a 7' chain I use for dragging logs out of the woods. Got a longer chain but with the shorter chain I can make better production.

Once I dismount to make a hookup I'm usually back on and making tracks within a minute or less.

Notice I don't have any of the snap rings keepers on each end of the draw bar...that's because the turnbuckles are tightened up tight. With the snap rings removed we can quickly wrap and secure the chain.

Sure that's a small log but with a 3ph lifting the front of the log off the ground it amazing the larger logs you can remove from the woods.

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #34  
If you bought a chain hook style clevice, you wouldn't have to wrap that chain around everything and try to tighten it up, and then get off when it unhooks. The chain hook is as simple as it gets, but a regular clevice works ok too.

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #35  
I use the slip hook like in savageactor's pic, but instead of wrapping the "extra" chain around the 3PH arms, I put the grab hook of the chain close to the clevis so the chain can't pull back through. Accomplishes the same thing as Deadman's chain hook clevis.

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #36  
I like having a longer chain, so I can get some of the logs in tighter areas out to my roads, and then I hook them real short with my chain hook clevice.
Either way, we all get our wood out! :D

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #37  
Albeit late to the party, you all made some great contraptions. Does anyone know of a drawbar plate hitch that I could plug into the 2 & 1/2" by 1" or so inch receiver? This is so unlike my 2 inch truck receiver for towing that I don't have the slightest use for a draw bar with a ball on that. At the end of the day, I'm looking for a proper square hitch so I can mount a sander which is an alternative to the 3 point/pto driven sanders...

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #38  
Albeit late to the party, you all made some great contraptions. Does anyone know of a drawbar plate hitch that I could plug into the 2 & 1/2" by 1" or so inch receiver? This is so unlike my 2 inch truck receiver for towing that I don't have the slightest use for a draw bar with a ball on that. At the end of the day, I'm looking for a proper square hitch so I can mount a sander which is an alternative to the 3 point/pto driven sanders...

Do you have something like this? A photo would help.

OMM139226_A9178.jpg

Bruce

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #39  
It's been a while since we visited this one.. almost eight years for me.
Dan, if I were you I'd get a spare draw bar and weld a standard 2" receiver tube to it. Easy solution.