Plowing County Road??

/ Plowing County Road?? #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
My county road used to be on a school bus route, which meant that our road was plowed quite often. Since the kids that used to ride the bus not longer do so, our road is no longer plowed, like at all. We have had two separate snow events this winter. Each dumped about 6 inches of snow. For some, that's not a ton, for us, that's worthy of sending the grader down the road, which has yet to happen.

My county road is gravel, well, somewhat. Its mostly dirt with some old gravel they put down at least 10 years ago. Its about 3 miles long, with windy twists and turns and steep climbs. Everyone on my road has my phone number and call me when they inevitably end up in the ditch. Even when the road is plowed, they end up in the ditch. I am happy to pull them out using my tractor.

Here I am a few years ago pulling a truck out
vlcsnap-2022-11-24-22h10m33s281.png

Since we are no longer getting plowed out, at least in a timely fashion, I am considering running my tractor with my inverted snow blower down the road and back. What are your thoughts on this?

The county has been receptive of us doing our own road "maintenance" during the summer with washboard smoothing. We just cant use a steel blade for fear of sparking a fire, but they recommended dragging tires and chain link fence down the road. But snow removal might be pushing it?

I donno, just a thought. We are expecting another storm soon, that is forecast to dump about 9 inches in a few days.

/ Plowing County Road?? #2  
A snow blower will work, it will be extremely slow thought. In my opinion, if you have a 4 wheel drive pick-up, a plow on the front of it would be a much better option for most snow events like you get in the Spokane area for 3 miles of road. You can clean the road in a fraction of the time compared to anything you can do with a tractor. The plow won't work on deep drifts though, so you may need your tractor for those drifts, and a blower would be great, although a FEL would work.

/ Plowing County Road?? #3  
You could use your tractor or truck to pull about a 10 ft railroad rail with a couple of county commissioners tied to it for added weight. This way they can do some useful work. A couple of passes each direction should make the road passable.

Bruce

/ Plowing County Road?? #4  
I live in SW Spokane county. Hard to understand why they will not plow your county road. Must be that your property taxes aren't high enough.

Based upon the property taxes on my 80 - the county road should be gold plated.

I plow a short bit of our county road - access for the mailman. I've always found that my rear blade works just fine. Offset - angled - - go like smoke and oakem.

IMG_0006.jpeg

/ Plowing County Road?? #6  
I'd plow it, right down to the new gate that the you and other residents put up at the closest plowed road.
Seriously, give the commissioners the fire and ambulance and homeowners insurance scenario not to mention the taxes you pay.

/ Plowing County Road?? #8  
If they used to plow it, then they may be trying to save some dollars on there fuel costs. Until next years budget. Several, if not all our county Departments are close to using up there fuel budget for the year becasue of rising fuel costs and are trying to stretch there budget by not running equipment or vehicles.
Contact your county Public Works office and talk to them. I know in most Public Works Departments, they log every call and subject. Mainly logging calls so they can tell the Commisioners that they did or didn't have contact with that person that complains to the county commisioners (politics). So the more calls they get on an issue, the higher the priority.
Get an answer from them about the snow plowing issue, if they are going to be doing it. If they aren't going to plow, then I would request wriitten permission from them to plow the county road.

/ Plowing County Road?? #9  
My 1 mile long road is 1/2 paved and 1/2 dirt (definitely not gravel anymore). There are 2 schools at the North (paved) end with helicopter parents delivering their kids every day. Because its now Dead Ended, (intersection at the south end had to be closed), it's illegal (No Dead Ended road longer than 800' is 'allowed', but here it is. I've been known to plow it, so that I as well as my neighbors down at my end can get to the highway. I'd never use a blower because of junk, cans, fallen tree limbs, dead animals, etc (things I'd never want to try to pass thru a blower), and the plow is fast. I can run in top gear high range.

Meanwhile, the only problems I ever face are from cars following me (Karens are in a hurry and they are just so important they will try to pass me and get stuck). When I stop to turn around, neighbors will complain that I didn't do the rest of it and that I left a berm at the end of their driveway that got them stuck. So, as you might guess, I tend not do this anymore and bought real snow tires for my vehicles. All problems solved. Anybody need to be pulled out of a ditch from driving too fast on bald tires ? It's $50. CASH, I don't have change or take PayPal, Venmo, Bitcoin, or change from their cup holder supply.

/ Plowing County Road?? #10  
Don't give them a reason to abandon the road, you maintaining the road gives them a reason to start ignoring it. You pay enough in property taxes that the road should be cleared timely. Send your highway superintendent a certified letter complaining, the road will get the attention it needs. This is a public safety issue.

On the other hand if you want the road abandoned, get the neighbors on-board and simply ask the county, they will comply.