Pole Barn Addition

/ Pole Barn Addition #31  
Are you going to cover the exposed joists? leave them natural or paint them? I like covering them with Hardie, and extending the Hardie past the bottom of the joist to create a bit of a drip edge. Then paint the Hardie and install the trim over the painted Hardie. Once Hardie is painted, you never have to paint it again!!!
I am considering Hardie board for my house build. When you say that you never have to paint again, is that in general, or are you expressing this because the hardie is covered by the trim? It seems like anything that accepts paint will need to be re-painted at some point. But then again, I see claims of 30 year warranty on hardie colors.

/ Pole Barn Addition #32  
It's a general, overall comment based on how well Hardie holds paint. If a decent quality paint is used, and there isn't anything else to cause problems, then Hardie rarely needs to be painted again. Biggest issues with Hardie is if it touches shingles on a roof, or remains in contact with a wet area over time. My personal favorite paint is Valspar Duramax from Lowes. It costs less then Sherwin Williams or Kelly Moore, but goes on easier with better coverage and holds up great!!!

/ Pole Barn Addition #33  
My experience with Hardie is that it takes paint very well. If the paint is good quality, it will last a very long time. It's really down to the paint quality as to how long that is.

/ Pole Barn Addition
The exposed rafter on each side will be covered by 2 pieces of trim. A 7"x1.5" L shaped black metal trim will cover the bottom 2/3 of the exposed rafter and a 5x5 corner length of black trim will cover the top 1/3 and attach on the surface of the roof. That is how the pole barn kit did the gable ends, so we are doing the same so everything looks the same. I am using metal trim instead of paint as the metal has a 40 year paint warranty. I don't want to have to paint the barn in my lifetime! Trim gets expensive very quickly. I paid $1000 for the 900 sq feet of metal roof and $500 for the trim needed for the 2 sides and end.

I do like the Hardie type boards. I trimmed out my log home roof, windows and made 3 board shutters for all the windows with Mira-Tech which is similar to Hardie board. Mira-Tech has a nice cedar grain to it which looks great when painted. The paint looks like new even after 5 years.

Window 1.jpeg

/ Pole Barn Addition
The black metal roof trim came in on Friday and we installed it today. My crew was my wife, dad and younger sister. We got fascia trim and gable caps put on in a few hours.

IMG_2613.JPG

Next is the wooden guard rails protecting the posts and bringing in some fill to raise and flatten the ground under the overhang so the firewood cages have a level place to sit. Then a few more yards of gravel. I have this week off of work so hope to finish everything this week.

/ Pole Barn Addition #36  
You need to throw a big "Pole Barn Builders Thank You Barbecue" for all those volunteers!

Looking good!

/ Pole Barn Addition #37  
BoylermanCT thanks for starting thread and others input here . Been kicking back learning and enjoying . On a side note I havent seen a Montana tractor in that great of shape in many years !!! ............ You all keep that tractor real pretty , looks like she sleeps " in the house " ! (y)

/ Pole Barn Addition #38  
The trim really ties it all together!!!!

/ Pole Barn Addition
You need to throw a big "Pole Barn Builders Thank You Barbecue" for all those volunteers!

Looking good!
You said it! I do feed my workers every time we have a workday. Last week was pizza and this week was Jakes Wayback Burgers. And we are having a Pole Barn party this coming Sunday. I special ordered eighteen 16 ounce thick cut NY Strip Steaks that we will cook up for everyone! Should be a great time for all.

/ Pole Barn Addition
BoylermanCT thanks for starting thread and others input here . Been kicking back learning and enjoying . On a side note I havent seen a Montana tractor in that great of shape in many years !!! ............ You all keep that tractor real pretty , looks like she sleeps " in the house " ! (y)
My Montana has been a great tractor. It is a 2008 that I bought in 2013 with 175 hours on it. It now has 475 hours. The only thing I have had to do it replace a hose or two. I am taking this week off to organize the barn, and will be washing the tractor before parking it in its new home. I am hoping it will serve me well for many more years to come.