Pole barn build now or wait?

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #71  
With really good drainage, modern pressure treated poles will last a hundred years. Drainage is always the key. Here in East Texas, where I have red clay, aggressive bugs and a lot of humidity, all other wood rots out very quickly if it touches the ground. An oak just laying on the ground isn't worth cutting up for firewood in a year because of how quickly it rots. Your white oak might be different then the dozen or so different types of oak trees that I have, but I wouldn't trust it to last very long.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #72  
I put a bag of concrete in each hole and tamped it a little with a small piece of plywood on the bottom of a 2x4 then set my post plumb and tamped them in good.
I used a spud bar for that.
thx

setting them won't be a problem, i've done many fence posts but i'm wondering about the lifespan of untreated white oak. and how that compares to the lifespan of an almost 70 year old geezer. i bet the oak lasts longer than me!

just cutting those suckers tells me they are hard as rock!

i've also got thousands of perfectly straight mature pines but i'm told they will go to mush in a few years.

another way to look at it is, nothing ventured nothing gained?

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #73  
@Dwellonroof great solo job there! I find myself making all sorts of jigs and speed clamps to do carpentry solo.

@Frankenkubota I agree with @EddieWalker that drainage is key. I have dealt with white oak in older building and it is a tough, tough wood. As in drill before nailing tough.

If you want to use your white oak, I would suggest putting in a foundation, or use concrete bases for your columns. I think that getting them up out of the soil will make them last a lot longer. I would consider squaring them up to a uniform dimension to make subsequent steps faster. Constantly shimming as is beams gets old in my book. Doable, but a low grade hassle.

All the best,

Peter

/ Pole barn build now or wait?
I’m thinking the only post that really last untreated around here is locust

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #75  
I’m thinking the only post that really last untreated around here is locust
Exactly!

Which is why I am a fan of concrete below ground, when you can do it.

I do wish honey locust fence posts were more widely available.

All the best,

Peter

I had a couple rolls of mobile home underbelly vapor barrier that I am putting on the trusses then install the purlins.
IMG_1702.JPG

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #77  
@Dwellonroof great solo job there! I find myself making all sorts of jigs and speed clamps to do carpentry solo.

@Frankenkubota I agree with @EddieWalker that drainage is key. I have dealt with white oak in older building and it is a tough, tough wood. As in drill before nailing tough.

If you want to use your white oak, I would suggest putting in a foundation, or use concrete bases for your columns. I think that getting them up out of the soil will make them last a lot longer. I would consider squaring them up to a uniform dimension to make subsequent steps faster. Constantly shimming as is beams gets old in my book. Doable, but a low grade hassle.

All the best,

Peter
thx again

yesterday i was cutting up the branches of the white oak for my neighbor to use as firewood. he's real sick and old and just loves to to sit and watch the fire. the branch wood cut to 18 inches is perfect for him and the white oak burns good.

it was about 7pm and i was tired but i tried to square up one of the ends of the oak posts. it was just me standing there with a chain saw that had 3 hard hours on it already.

i was surprised how straight an edge i could cut by hand!

thx again, i probably wouldn't even have tried.

now i'm thinking i can build a log cabin?

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #78  
That's very kind of you to tend to your neighbor like that.

I grew up around more than a few 150+ year old log cabins, most (all?) of them oak. If you did build one, it would definitely out last you, me, and everyone else. There are lots of variations, and some definitely more durable than others.

Whatever you build, I would love to see photos of it and the build.

All the best,

Peter

Yesterday I finally received the correct metal panels along with the overhang materials and bracing lumber that Menards dropped the ball on but after sorting through it I noticed the roof panels were hit with a forklift on the top lap of some of them.
IMG_1726.JPG
IMG_1728.JPG

If I straighten and use them it would stand out and I’ll have to live with the way it looks. It doesn’t have to be prefect but I paid for new not damaged material.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #80  
Yesterday I finally received the correct metal panels along with the overhang materials and bracing lumber that Menards dropped the ball on but after sorting through it I noticed the roof panels were hit with a forklift on the top lap of some of them.
View attachment 717800View attachment 717801
If I straighten and use them it would stand out and I’ll have to live with the way it looks. It doesn’t have to be prefect but I paid for new not damaged material.
i just finished my house and it seems like 1/2 the stuff was damaged from careless handling.

probably not 1/2 but way to much, that damage eventually shows up in the price of stuff.