Pole Chainsaws

/ Pole Chainsaws #51  
I had an EGO string trimmer that I used for several years until the battery gave out. It was a good tool but the cost of a replacement battery was almost as much as the DeWalt trimmer I bought on sale. Now I have just one charger and a single brand of battery.
Can't say I blame you there...
Since I had a collection of EGO tools (forgot to list the leaf blower in a previous post), I want to keep them
So, down to 3 battery brands (EGO, DeWalt and Ryobi). I'd like to sell the Ryobi (Impact Wrench) and replace it with DeWalt, but I'd never get my money out of it

/ Pole Chainsaws #52  
I started with stihl combi gas and switched to stihl combi electric last year. The electric is a lot quieter, lighter and easier to handle. I don't want to use the gas motor anymore.

I had my 150' cedar edge trimmed last summer by professionals. They switched to electric edge trimmers and wouldn't go back to gas one.

I have a 18V 6" pole saw that works great and bought last year a 10" 18V chainsaw (using the same battery as the pole saw) to cut limbs from branches before chipping them (on my 3" chipper, I guess it will see less use on my 6" hydraulic fed chipper ). For the 6" pole saw, I can work with swapping the two batteries but with the 10" chainsaw, it will chew through a battery before the next one is recharged if I try to use it to cut fell trees in logs (and too lazy to prep my 18" gas chain saw) so I might go to Home Depot to by two more batteries on sales right now.

/ Pole Chainsaws #53  
Another vote for EGO here. I have pretty much given up on gas powered lawn tools and chose to use the EGO line of tools. We have the blower, hedge trimmer, 16" chain saw, pole saw, and string trimmer and have been very happy with all of them.

I use the chain saw for quick clean up chores and it is a real time saver since I drain the fuel from my gas powered chain saws after each use. Put the battery in, do the cut, put the battery back in the charger; done! Same with the pole saw.

When I bought the string trimmer it would not automatically re-wind as it was supposed to. EGO promptly sent me a replacement no questions asked.

I'm convinced that gas powered lawn tools will eventually become almost impossible to find for most home owners.

/ Pole Chainsaws #54  
I just got a Greenworks 8" 40V 2AH battery powered pole saw. Partly because I've got a Greenworks 40V weed trimmer a few years ago that still runs strong.

I've had it out twice now and so far it's working gtreat.
I've got the same, as well as two extension poles. It gets a little heavy when it's that long but makes it something close to 13' long. Has been a great tool for limbing up trees to get them off the ground for fire safety. We've used it quite a bit, to the point that I'm going to make a mount so I can carry it and extension poles on the tractor so it's always handy when running into low limbs.

Also have the Greenworks 16" chainsaw, string trimmer and 3 leaf blowers. Pretty happy with all of them as long as expectations are in check. I did have a DOA battery and Greenworks was easy to work with and sent me a new battery quickly. They go on sale sometimes for really good deals.

/ Pole Chainsaws #55  
I've got the same, as well as two extension poles. It gets a little heavy when it's that long but makes it something close to 13' long. Has been a great tool for limbing up trees to get them off the ground for fire safety. We've used it quite a bit, to the point that I'm going to make a mount so I can carry it and extension poles on the tractor so it's always handy when running into low limbs.

Also have the Greenworks 16" chainsaw, string trimmer and 3 leaf blowers. Pretty happy with all of them as long as expectations are in check. I did have a DOA battery and Greenworks was easy to work with and sent me a new battery quickly. They go on sale sometimes for really good deals.
I've been very impressed with my string trimmer. I figure I'd only get half way through my large yard but it does the whole thing on a single charge. Been great for several years now. The pole saw works equally well. Greenworks make solid products for sure.

/ Pole Chainsaws #56  
Last edited:
   / Pole Chainsaws #57  
As far as I know, there are two styles of pole saws. One utilizes a sliding end that cam be pulled out or in and these require lots more materiel to construct. The other is more simple, just the power end that's about 4ft long and your attachments, which is about 4ft. This setup is easier to transport and weights much less. When we go into the field, this 8ft length non telescoping type takes care of 95% of the branches we need to get down and when broke down, fits in the back of our machine. In this pic, you can see an extra extension was added. We rarely do than but its now 11ft long. View attachment 723982
My stihl dealer tells me that I can mount the chain saw head on my old FS(forget the model#) and us it as a fixed head. I use my telescopic echo retracted as much as possible.

/ Pole Chainsaws #58  
I just ordered a RedMax pole saw. They have excellent reviews. I will let everyone know how it performs when I get it in the next few days.
Al

/ Pole Chainsaws #59  
I bought a Stihl Kombi a little while ago. Its extremely useful, I thought I would just use it for limbs. It doesn’t replace my chainsaw, but I make a lot fire wood length cuts with it (We heat with wood). I also feel like I’m a little safer using it this way due to not being near the chain while making cuts. I find that it cuts well even up to about 8” limbs. I did buy the R131, its well powered.

Mike

/ Pole Chainsaws #60  
Feeling vs. thinking.