Post hole auger bit?

/ Post hole auger bit? #1  

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
I am looking at buying a couple new augers for my step dads 3pt pto digger. The ones he has are way beyond there usable life, how ever he thinks they are just fine. :) Anyway I'm looking at primarily digging in Red clay with rocks anywhere from baseball, or softball and down in size, what type of bits and points should I be looking for? Here is a pic of pretty much what I'd be digging in.

Attachments

• image-2219192442.jpg
    image-2219192442.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 307
   / Post hole auger bit? #2  
Have you tried replacing just the teeth and auger point. The auger looks good in the picture. TSC has a good assortment that should bolt on as replacements.

/ Post hole auger bit? #3  
Have you tried replacing just the teeth and auger point. The auger looks good in the picture. TSC has a good assortment that should bolt on as replacements.

New cutting edge and auger point should fix things unless something is bent.

/ Post hole auger bit?
I'll post a pic of the tip a bit later, but yes I'm going to pick up a pair of teeth and see what I can do with that. I'm more curios as to the type of tips and cutting edges work best in this type of soil conditions, I know I don't need a 2000 dollars rock auger but I think I need more than the local tractor supply augers. I have looked at spiral cork screw tips , split tooth tips and also different cutting edges.

/ Post hole auger bit? #5  
While not a big fan of Tractor Supply, during a moment of desperation, I bought one of their Country Line augers. It is so good that I've learned that everything I thought I knew about digging post holes was wrong. With a good bit, it doesn't matter how hard your red clay is, a good auger will cut right through it like butter!!! In fact, I also learned about digging too fast and burying the bit. I now have two Country Line augers, a 12 inch and a 9 inch. They have replaceable cutting teeth and tips in the store, but so far, I haven't ever had to replace mine.

/ Post hole auger bit?
I was wondering about the fish tail point and its use over a cork screw one, something like the danuser auger is what I had been looking at and thinking may be a good investment for what I need. Closest TSC is about a hour away in cape, but I have to take one of the kids to a appointment Thursday there so I'll run by and check out there augers first hand too. One of there augers with new curing edges may be all I need for no more than I do, and just keep the edges replaced when needed instead of letting them wear down into the bit itself like the ones I'm using now.

/ Post hole auger bit? #8  
I myself prefer double flight auger bits vs the single flight pictured. Danuser or Mcmillen offer nice double flight bits with decent points, they will be a little more expensive but worth it imao.

/ Post hole auger bit?
Couple of pics of the tip and teeth, I picked up a set from TSC and going to replace the two teeth today.

Attachments

• image-3567432245.jpg
    image-3567432245.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 339
  • image-3804029239.jpg
    image-3804029239.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 448