Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features?

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #11  
Mine is a 30 plus year old Danuser and it has held up well. I do not have hydraulic down pressure and it still works well, albeit a little slower than a down pressure auger would.

My only suggestion is to get a 24 inch auger with it. I use this bit more than any other to dig footings for deck posts, holes for planting bushes, and it works great to mix soil supplements in when planting shrubs.

As for aligning it I found that by using the tractor to move forward/back I can keep it pretty straight. Wiggling a little back and forth also makes the auger bite in and dig better.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #12  
Tagging on to the auger diameter...
For split rail fencing a 9" auger is the minimum (what I use). 12" would give a little more slop to get the posts exactly where you want them.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #13  
Here's a nice feature that doesn't exist.. for good reason probably (cost). I was reading this thread and got to thinking you could probably build a PHD in a way that replicated the geometry of a 'vertical lift' skid steer loader arm (that goes up and down without moving forward and back) as opposed to a 'radial lift' (the normal thing where the end of the arm sweeps through an arc). All it would take is stupid amounts of time and money! :ROFLMAO:

download.jpg

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #14  
I never knew a PHD had "features". Mine just digs. But it mostly just hangs. Now therte's an idea for a feature. Something to make hookups and un-hookups easy peasy. What a pain they are. Even if you have them hanging as I do.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #15  
Here's a nice feature that doesn't exist.. for good reason probably (cost). I was reading this thread and got to thinking you could probably build a PHD in a way that replicated the geometry of a 'vertical lift' skid steer loader arm (that goes up and down without moving forward and back) as opposed to a 'radial lift' (the normal thing where the end of the arm sweeps through an arc). All it would take is stupid amounts of time and money! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 739912

Attachments

• 102313.png
    102313.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 67
   / Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #16  

View attachment 739912
Here is a pic of one. I don't know who made it but it dug vertical 16" post holes for my tin shed.

Attachments

• P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 72
   / Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #17  
Three point phd have features if one wants to call them that . One I can think of is added on weight(s) the other is some came with a cylinder hollow pole welded on so a standby helper or operater turned around could attach steel rod and manually guide from the ground ! Yikes 😩

Other feature some had welded bars to attach fence poles and pull them out . Which reminds me you dont see many rear 3pt post hole diggers anymore made from for instance a Ford 9" rear pumpkin .

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #18  
I never knew a PHD had "features". Mine just digs. But it mostly just hangs. Now therte's an idea for a feature. Something to make hookups and un-hookups easy peasy. What a pain they are. Even if you have them hanging as I do.

LOL… True. My farmer neighbor says it’s like wrestling an octopus when hooking up.
My ssqa hydraulic auger is no prize when it comes to storing either, but I haven’t put any thought into it yet. I have to store it in a sea container that I can’t drive into (height), so I have been breaking it down into three pieces and rolling it in on dollies. If I could drive it directly to its storage location it would be as easy as attaching any ssqa attachment.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #19  
Man! Am I ever glad my mile and a half fence around my property is with T-145 steel posts. It wasn't that easy but was straight forward with a whole lot of manual pounding.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #20  
Man! Am I ever glad my mile and a half fence around my property is with T-145 steel posts. It wasn't that easy but was straight forward with a whole lot of manual pounding.
So, @oosik I am curious what is a T-145 post? Special grade of t-post for barbed wire?

All the best,

Peter