power tool recommendation

/ power tool recommendation #31  
I have a Simpson pressure washer with a Honda GC motor on it. After a year the motor now drips oil. I doubt it had more than a couple hours on it when I noticed the puddle. I've had the same problems as Username. They sit for not very long and the carb has to be taken apart. My sawmill has a 2 cylinder Honda and I hate that thing. I finally got so fed up I replaced the carb on it with another Honda carb ($$$). Ran ok for a few months then sat. Doesn't matter if you run the fuel out or not they gunk up easily. My farm neighbor has a small engine shop and even he has apologized for not being able to get it running like new. So yes I don't share the Honda love.
:)

/ power tool recommendation #32  
Thanks gator !

By the way, i have a 1998 JD 4x4 gator. No extra features but a bumper guard and sprayed bed…here’s one of my faithful helpers..she was a great dog & great companion.
I purchased the 6x4 for my late wife. She loved the flexibility it gave her in her flowers and other garden work. She really enjoyed the electric dump bed. I fixed her a dump area where she could dump clippings, limbs old vegetation etc. I would them take the loader and scoop it up and place on the burn pile.

/ power tool recommendation
Try adding some Marvel Mystery oil to all your fuel. I have tiller, riding lawn mower, push lawn mower, tiller, weed eater, 4 chainsaws, JD 4x4 Gator, 1951 JD MT, (had a power washer) & a 1996 M5400 Kubota (diesel). Only had to redo one carburetor on Stihl pole chainsaw.

I pour 2-3oz in 5gal gas container and fill it up…it really helps. At least it has for me. My oldest chainsaw i bought in 1995 & weedeater in 1994. All original still

/ power tool recommendation #34  
I bought a Harbor Freight Predator 13hp model that I've had for about a year and have been very pleased with. I think it's rated around 4gpm 4000ish psi and you can turn the pressure down when needed. I had a lower pressure lower volume one at one point which doesn't even remotely hold a candle to this one. It actually pulls grease and paint spills out of your concrete and cleans your implements rather than acting like a high dollar hose nozzle for cleaning your Prius. It seems to have lots of good reviews but time will tell if it holds up

/ power tool recommendation #35  
I have a Simpson pressure washer with a Honda GC motor on it. After a year the motor now drips oil. I doubt it had more than a couple hours on it when I noticed the puddle. I've had the same problems as Username. They sit for not very long and the carb has to be taken apart. My sawmill has a 2 cylinder Honda and I hate that thing. I finally got so fed up I replaced the carb on it with another Honda carb ($$$). Ran ok for a few months then sat. Doesn't matter if you run the fuel out or not they gunk up easily. My farm neighbor has a small engine shop and even he has apologized for not being able to get it running like new. So yes I don't share the Honda love.
:)
There is no magic engine to prevent a carburetor from gunking. I have experienced that with engines from, Clinton, Tecumseh, Briggs, Koehler, etc. I use sta-bil and Marvel Mystery in my small engine gas and diesel fuel.

Sta-Bil has this out now to help us with the gunking problem in the carb.

/ power tool recommendation #36  
Seafoam works good for carb problems I also shut fuel off and run it til it dies. The pump is probably going to be your biggest failure point, less expensive pressure washers use cheap pumps in my experience. After my 2nd to last pressure washer I owned for a year, the pump failed again. So I researched a little went to Home Depot bought a DeWalt branded PW it came with a Honda GX engine and had a comet pump. 15 yrs later still running and operating good. Also you can actually change the oil in the pump which I do occasionally also has a sight glass for pump oil. So imo the pump quality is the biggest thing for durability on pressure washers.

/ power tool recommendation #37  
There is no magic engine to prevent a carburetor from gunking. I have experienced that with engines from, Clinton, Tecumseh, Briggs, Koehler, etc. I use sta-bil and Marvel Mystery in my small engine gas and diesel fuel.

Sta-Bil has this out now to help us with the gunking problem in the carb.

Agreed, the only magic is converting to propane or using a diesel engine. But they both have their drawbacks. Propane makes less power in the same engine and requires a pressure tank & plumbing and a diesel weighs and costs twice as much for the power output.

In addition to the additives, I find that cutting the fuel and letting the engine run out of gas also helps by reducing the amount of fuel left in the bowl but does not entirely eliminate the issue

Thanks Jeff. As mentioned, I believe all products made 15-12 yrs ago are superior in quality to xxxx made today. What type of PW died after a year; make and model would be great to know to avoid. Also, how do you apply your seafoam? There's spray to the carb or liquid to fuel or other...thanks again

Agreed, the only magic is converting to propane or using a diesel engine. But they both have their drawbacks. Propane makes less power in the same engine and requires a pressure tank & plumbing and a diesel weighs and costs twice as much for the power output.

In addition to the additives, I find that cutting the fuel and letting the engine run out of gas also helps by reducing the amount of fuel left in the bowl but does not entirely eliminate the issue
Thanka green. I believe the Marvel Mystery oil has lubricants in it for seals, o-rings and other...if I have not run one of my chainsaws or weedeaters for awhile, I just kill an ant bed.

/ power tool recommendation #40  
Thanks Jeff. As mentioned, I believe all products made 15-12 yrs ago are superior in quality to xxxx made today. What type of PW died after a year; make and model would be great to know to avoid. Also, how do you apply your seafoam? There's spray to the carb or liquid to fuel or other...thanks again
I buy seafoam by the gallon, add about an ounce or two for every gallon of gas directly to gas tank. My other one was a inexpensive northern tool one Ironton brand I believe, had a sealed pump on a vertical shaft motor, super cheap you get what you pay for.

Last edited: