Pre-heat for stick weld?

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #21  
I run 6010 & 7018 rod. I don't weld that often and I store the rod in the metal screw top container inb my basement. When I'm going to be burning some rod I take the probable amount of rod I will need and stick it in the wifes oven on a cookie sheet. Gets rid of any moisture in the flux and makes the cookies taste great:D

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #22  
When you pre-heat steel with a propane torch, what you will initially see is water vapor from the burning propane condensing on the steel surface.... :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
When condensation will no longer form on the steel, it is probably hot enough.:D:D:D:D:D:D

The higher the carbon content, the more prone to cracking on cooling, this obviously includes cast iron.

X 2! grin

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #23  
x3, not much water in steel, its condensing out of the exhaust vapour of your torch. Once its above the dew point it stops depositing, once over 100 C it boils off whats there quickly.

X 2! grin

/ Pre-heat for stick weld?
This will make you guys feel better about your welds. First pic: older 6013 rod with no pre-heat; #2: switched to new 6011 with p/h; #3 more big-bugger welds; #4 I think it will pull two 14" bedder disks.
Maybe Shieldarc was pulling my leg about the water. Wait till he sees my trim and tile work. :D

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 279
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 270
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 444
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 329
   / Pre-heat for stick weld? #25  
Yeah that pre-heating is a wife's tale. Nobody really does it! :laughing:

Attachments

• Pre-heat.jpg
    Pre-heat.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 236
  • preheat.jpg
    preheat.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 395
   / Pre-heat for stick weld?
This was what I was trying to do.
Thanks to all for the input.

Attachments

• w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 261
   / Pre-heat for stick weld? #27  
The crane boys at work do it when welding up cracks in the container crane legs.
They use a temp crayon and draw a circle around the area and heat with a rose bud till the crayon melts.

But that's them. Here at home welding up tractor implements it just ain't going to happen. :D

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #28  
[[[When you pre-heat steel with a propane torch, what you will initially see is water vapor from the burning propane condensing on the steel surface.... :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
When condensation will no longer form on the steel, it is probably hot enough.:D:D:D:D:D:D ]]]

The higher the carbon content, the more prone to cracking on cooling, this obviously includes cast iron.
Yay! ... saved me reading all the way through before posting to clarify that! :thumbsup:
larry

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #29  
well I 'm a hack welder, been welding for 30 years in support of my contracting business, trucks, tractors, trailers, snow plows etc. Nothings ever broke that I welded, though I've seen individual beads fail on something I've welded, it's backed up by so much extra weld and support that it's not coming apart.

Until fairly recently, I never had a clue that there was so much science behind welding, I'd plug in my buzz box, connect a ground, grab a rod, and I mean any rod I could find anywhere, didn't even know they had numbers on them. then proceed melting rod and making alot of sparks.

Now I have a small mig, an AC/DC box in the shop, and a portable DC for remote or jobsite use. when I want to weld now I have to refer to manuals and rod and steel specs. it was simpler being a dumb-butt.

I've never preheated, and I'm often welding in cold temps and heavier metal, no 5x5 but up to 1 inch plate or bar. the preheating makes sense and I will try it next time I have heavy cold steel to weld, maybe it will help me to not struggle so much.

Thanks for the thread,

JB.

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #30  
I've never preheated, and I'm often welding in cold temps and heavier metal, no 5x5 but up to 1 inch plate or bar. the preheating makes sense and I will try it next time I have heavy cold steel to weld, maybe it will help me to not struggle so much.
Thanks for the thread,

Same here, I seldom weld cold metal, and usually it is 1/4 or 3/8, but still good to know, thanks
James K0UA