Pressure Washer Dangers

/ Pressure Washer Dangers #1  

johnnydel29

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
I was using my gas pressure washer the other day to clean our concrete patio and decided it would be a good idea to grab one of the plastic lawn chairs w/ one hand and spray it down with other. Well, the pressure washer gun bounced off the chair, swipped my forearm. Of course my wife yelled at me, and my friends, made fun of me. The wound looked alot worse when it immediately happened. Luckily, it did not hit me in the eye.

So, what I learned is when power washing: wear eye protection and hold on w/ both hands!!

Attachments

• pw burn.JPG
    pw burn.JPG
    743.1 KB · Views: 6,625
   / Pressure Washer Dangers #2  
I had the same thing happen while at the hunting cabin.
I made a meal in a glass Corning dish and it burned fast.
I thought I would use the pressure washer. I was holding the dish in one hand and the wand in the other. Did the same stunt.
I did not tell my wife of either thing, hurting myself or washing the dish. The dish was clean and she never knew the difference! It saved me some elbow grease of scrubbing the dish!

/ Pressure Washer Dangers #3  
Thanks for posting the information and photo. That's a good warning.

/ Pressure Washer Dangers #4  
I was using my gas pressure washer the other day to clean our concrete patio and decided it would be a good idea to grab one of the plastic lawn chairs w/ one hand and spray it down with other. Well, the pressure washer gun bounced off the chair, swipped my forearm. Of course my wife yelled at me, and my friends, made fun of me. The wound looked alot worse when it immediately happened. Luckily, it did not hit me in the eye.

*So, what I learned is when power washing: wear eye protection and hold on w/ both hands!!
*I learned the same dumb thing at the car wash the other day while cleaning out a 55 gallon drum holding the drum in my right hand and the wand in my left hand flipped over & got my right hand near the base of my thumb.
The water jet instantly cut about an inch long place in my hand as the tip of the nozzle was only about an inch away from my hand.
I can see why Tractor hyd Hoses can be dangerous,

/ Pressure Washer Dangers #5  
Due to the possibility of fluid being injected into the skin, such injuries should probably be seen by a doctor, as they are different from ordinary cuts due to the fluid injection possibility, if I remember correctly. At least I've heard that from a few people plus the cautionary label on the pressure washer I have.

/ Pressure Washer Dangers #7  
I thought I was the only one!:eek::D

I was using an electric pressure washer of about 1600psi.......honestly, I didn't have any respect for it...

I was washing off my ATV and I reached down to rub off some mud with my hand and the pressure washer just grazed across my wrist......did the same thing as your arm- removed the top couple layers of skin. I was concerned because I've always "heard" that water in the blood stream could be fatal.

I'll tell you, it really did burn worse than what the injury looked like it should....it seeped for a few days and then finally scabbed over. That's been about 2 months ago and I still have a slight scare from it.

Now, I have MUCH more respect for even the smallest of pressure washers, and I'm now using a gas one....

/ Pressure Washer Dangers #9  
But there are times - for instance suppose you have to climb a ladder to spray. My personal rule is one hand for the ladder and the other for whatever tool.
I've found that it's only the initial pull-the-trigger that has the kick. So I hold both the ladder and wand with one hand and pull the trigger with the other. Then once it's spraying I try to use a single hand to hold the wand. A bit dangerous, but so is falling off the ladder.

/ Pressure Washer Dangers #10  
Great idea to issue this warning. With maximum pressure (small nozzle opening at close range), you could lose a piece of you. They are definitely not toys.