Problems with float

/ Problems with float #1  

RobiBX2230

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210 (TLB)
So this seems a bit of a ridiculous question, but I'm having issues with the float on my loader and quick hitch -- I have used float on my Uncle's JD before without any problems, so I know what it is and how it works so I'm no dummy -- but has anyone had issues putting their loader into float -- and no, there is nothing interferring with the controls (Kubota BX2230 with LA211 Loader/BX2753 Quick Hitch)

/ Problems with float #2  
If it has never been used (or used very little), then most likely the detent balls in the endcap are rusty. A lot of Kubota valves have a tendency to collect moisture in the endcaps and cause the float to stop working. The solution is to drill a small drain hole and pack with grease after cleaning it out. Lots of post's in the Kubota and Hydraulics forums about this.

/ Problems with float
REALLY dumb rookie question --- Detent ball is the ball in the valve on the tractor that I'm hooking my hoses up to, correct? Are we assuming they are sticking not allowing the loader or any implement to go into float?

/ Problems with float #5  
REALLY dumb rookie question --- Detent ball is the ball in the valve on the tractor that I'm hooking my hoses up to, correct? Are we assuming they are sticking not allowing the loader or any implement to go into float?

No, those are just the quick couplers fluid stops, what Kenny is talking about is something you can not see, kinda part of the loader valves stick linkage, but inside the valve. it's a locking action similar to a ratchet wrench's "detent ball" on the square drive part, that holds your socket or extension on.

It just holds the the stick in the full forward position, kinda pops in and out with a little extra effort.

I'm not familiar with the known problems he referred to but if you want to try again, What I tell people is either try it with machine off or when engine running at low idle, lift the loader off the ground a couple of feet and push the stick forward all the way, the loader will start to go down under pressure, now apply more pressure forward, not enough to bend the stick but enough to overcome the resistance of those never or little used balls and springs.

Are we sure this machine is capable of float? if so give it another shot as described with out getting crazy and breaking something. if that doesn't do it then you'll have to take something apart.

JB.

/ Problems with float
Thank you Kenny - the post with the pictures will help me a lot -- I think I remember float working when I got the tractor in September, but even after clearing my driveway for an hour in the winter it still was a bit tricky and I don't think I ever really got it in float correctly resulting in quite a few scratches in a new $6k driveway

/ Problems with float
No, those are just the quick couplers fluid stops, what Kenny is talking about is something you can not see, kinda part of the loader valves stick linkage, but inside the valve. it's a locking action similar to a ratchet wrench's "detent ball" on the square drive part, that holds your socket or extension on.

It just holds the the stick in the full forward position, kinda pops in and out with a little extra effort.

I'm not familiar with the known problems he referred to but if you want to try again, What I tell people is either try it with machine off or when engine running at low idle, lift the loader off the ground a couple of feet and push the stick forward all the way, the loader will start to go down under pressure, now apply more pressure forward, not enough to bend the stick but enough to overcome the resistance of those never or little used balls and springs.

Are we sure this machine is capable of float? if so give it another shot as described with out getting crazy and breaking something. if that doesn't do it then you'll have to take something apart.

JB.

Well, with the machine OFF, I can get the loader control stick to stay in the up position, but if the machine is on, the loader or whatever I have on the front of the machine will pick the entire tractor up. My manual for the loader does say it has float.... I've got to be missing something simple....

/ Problems with float #8  
Well, with the machine OFF, I can get the loader control stick to stay in the up position, but if the machine is on, the loader or whatever I have on the front of the machine will pick the entire tractor up. My manual for the loader does say it has float.... I've got to be missing something simple....

Wait a second, you say it will stay in the up position?

That's not normal, which way are you moving the stick for up?
You may just have the 2 lines reversed, meaning when you push stick loader goes up and when you pull stick back loader goes down.

jb

/ Problems with float
Wait a second, you say it will stay in the up position?

That's not normal, which way are you moving the stick for up?
You may just have the 2 lines reversed, meaning when you push stick loader goes up and when you pull stick back loader goes down.

jb

No, when I pull the stick back the bucket goes up and push it forward the loader goes down. I've got those right. I mean that when the tractor is off and the stick is in the middle/rest position - if I pull it down as to lift the loader and let go, it pops back to the middler/rest position. However, if I push the stick forward as to lower the bucket, I can get it to stay there rather than popping back to middle/rest position. If the tractor is on and I do that, it will lift the tractor up

/ Problems with float #10  
No, when I pull the stick back the bucket goes up and push it forward the loader goes down. I've got those right. I mean that when the tractor is off and the stick is in the middle/rest position - if I pull it down as to lift the loader and let go, it pops back to the middler/rest position. However, if I push the stick forward as to lower the bucket, I can get it to stay there rather than popping back to middle/rest position. If the tractor is on and I do that, it will lift the tractor up

Ok there's your problem and that's why I suggest that at first you do it with the loader off the ground.

Because it's lifting the machine you back off before engaging float, it kinda scares you away.
If it's staying there when machine is off then you should be good to go, once you get the hang of it, it wont scare you and you'll do it confidently, but with the bucket on the ground it's a little harder cause it seems like your doing something wrong, also not sure but with the weight on it, it may be harder to engage float. if you do get it to go in with the front end up in the air it will crash down making you think you're really doing something wrong.

JB.