Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts

/ Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts #11  
Always Floriduh.

/ Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts #12  
Always Floriduh.

Most likely one of the millions of idiot yankees that moved south out of the armpit north...

/ Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts #13  
I do leave my propane tank turned on when hooked up to my BBQ and outdoor heaters. But when transporting... the tank would be disconnected and valve tightened. :confused3:
I turn mine off every time, ever since a rodent chewed through the hose and wasted fifteen bucks worth of propane! I hope he froze his face off ...

/ Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts #14  
Florida is very populous, and very diverse, so you'll always get a lot so stories from there. But we have our share of idiots here in the Buckeye State, as well ...

/ Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts #15  
I turn mine off every time, ever since a rodent chewed through the hose and wasted fifteen bucks worth of propane! I hope he froze his face off ...
You know that same thing did happen to my propane weed burner hose last winter. Do rodents like the smell of propane?

/ Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts #16  
I think everyone knows that it is illegal to transport propane tanks inside of a car (suv) or any enclosed vehicle but they do it anyway mainly because not everyone has a truck and who wants to wrestle a 30# tank up to the top of their $75K SUV and scratch up the paint. I suppose if all you have is a car or SUV and want to haul propane tanks, buy yourself one of the trailer hitch cargo carriers to transport your gasoline and propane tanks from the store to home. It would work for transporting a BBQ pit also. Much cheaper than risking an explosion.

/ Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts
I'm guessing that it was one of the small portable grills that run on a 1lb. propane "camping" cylinder. Would have been MUCH worse if it was a 30lb!

/ Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts #18  
No sense of smell? You can smell the stuff that they put into propane at levels way way lower than it will ignite at.
Gee honey I smell propane, let me light a cigarette to cover it up.....

/ Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts #19  
I think everyone knows that it is illegal to transport propane tanks inside of a car (suv) or any enclosed vehicle but they do it anyway mainly because not everyone has a truck and who wants to wrestle a 30# tank up to the top of their $75K SUV and scratch up the paint. I suppose if all you have is a car or SUV and want to haul propane tanks, buy yourself one of the trailer hitch cargo carriers to transport your gasoline and propane tanks from the store to home. It would work for transporting a BBQ pit also. Much cheaper than risking an explosion.

It is not illegal to transport propane cylinders inside of a closed private passenger vehicle, within NFPA limits for private use. (Commercial transport is a whole other animal, with DOT rules, etc.) So when I grab a couple of 18-pounders and toss them in the Flex (well, stand them upright in the area behind the seat, wedged in with a cooler) I'm good to go. You can get four or five in your vehicle before hitting the NFPA limit (which also requires that upright transport, and a few other things. Look it up.)
Note that the gasoline in the plastic fuel tank is the real big nasty thing you are hauling about!

Last edited:
   / Propane Barbeque grill dos and donts #20  
No sense of smell? You can smell the stuff that they put into propane at levels way way lower than it will ignite at.
Gee honey I smell propane, let me light a cigarette to cover it up.....

Yeah that Ethyl Mercaptan is pretty powerful stuff. And that response to smoke a cigarette is even more powerful. It overrides all good sense. Nicotine addiction is at least as powerful as Heroin addiction.