Propane Prices

/ Propane Prices #321  
Rant,
My neighbors on the other hand get filled when they are only down to 30 or 40% and they make several trips per year to their houses.

What are your thoughts?

Kevin
It has nothing to do with their expenses, it has ONLY to do with their typical customer being too lazy to switch propane suppliers.

They got you as a customer,, they figure they can charge whatever they want,, you will never notice, and just continue paying.

I have to threaten to switch suppliers about every 3 years to keep a low price.
I do call and get other pricing EVERY year,,
There are always new suppliers popping up, so, I usually call them, also.

We had neighbors paying an extra $400 per year for overpriced propane.
As a group, several neighbors called others and had the high priced supplier eliminated from our neighborhood.

/ Propane Prices #322  
It has nothing to do with their expenses, it has ONLY to do with their typical customer being too lazy to switch propane suppliers.

They got you as a customer,, they figure they can charge whatever they want,, you will never notice, and just continue paying.

I have to threaten to switch suppliers about every 3 years to keep a low price.
I do call and get other pricing EVERY year,,
There are always new suppliers popping up, so, I usually call them, also.

We had neighbors paying an extra $400 per year for overpriced propane.
As a group, several neighbors called others and had the high priced supplier eliminated from our neighborhood.
Are you guys leasing tanks from companies or do you own your own?

/ Propane Prices
Unfortunately it's the supplier's tank. I've tried to find a 1000 gallon tank to purchase but have been unable to. I talked to a competitor of my supplier and they quoted me 30 cents less per gallon than my current supplier but I would have to get their tank and pay $25 per year rental. My current supplier doesn't charge rent on their tanks.

Kevin

/ Propane Prices #324  
Unfortunately it's the supplier's tank. I've tried to find a 1000 gallon tank to purchase but have been unable to. I talked to a competitor of my supplier and they quoted me 30 cents less per gallon than my current supplier but I would have to get their tank and pay $25 per year rental. My current supplier doesn't charge rent on their tanks.

Kevin
I just received the rental fee last week - over $100 this year. So I'm gonna tell them to sell me the tank or come and get it. I have another company that says they'll put a new tank in for me if my current company won't budge. They also want me to lease their tank, but I'm not going there - out of the frying pan and into the fire? No! They said they'd put it in for me anyway.

/ Propane Prices #325  

Kevin
It took me almost 5 years to buy my own tank, finding a 1000 gal tank seems to be few and far between.

/ Propane Prices #326  
I purchased my own 500 gal.propane tanks few years back and never looked back.I shop price every year..

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpg
    IMG_1971.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 239

/ Propane Prices
So, I went to my propane supplier after work today and spoke with the manager. He claimed that a new tier system had been implemented and that he changed my tier status to get the better price of 1.799 rather than the 1.899 I was going to pay. I mentioned that I checked another supplier and they quoted me 1.599. His reply was, "we can match that price if you want" to which I replied, "that would be nice".

So, after all was said and done, just by inquiring, I was able to save 30 cents per gallon on a 370 gallon bill for a savings of $111.00 on the gas plus tax and fee savings for a total of $118.27.

We were both very cordial during the negotiation and it was well worth the stop!

Kevin

/ Propane Prices #328  
Couple questions for you guys:

1) What's currently a reasonable price per gallon for propane these days? I live in the northern VA area

2) If you were to approach a company that you're currently leasing a tank from with the proposal to buy the tank, what would you say is reasonable for a 14-15 year old 500 gallon in-ground tank? I'm currently leasing, but I think I'd rather buy it from them and shop around each year.

/ Propane Prices #329  
I've checked several propane companies around me and they no longer sell tanks.
My dad just contracted for over 900 gallons at $2.33/gallon. Way up from last year.

Last edited:
   / Propane Prices
Couple questions for you guys:

1) What's currently a reasonable price per gallon for propane these days? I live in the northern VA area

2) If you were to approach a company that you're currently leasing a tank from with the proposal to buy the tank, what would you say is reasonable for a 14-15 year old 500 gallon in-ground tank? I'm currently leasing, but I think I'd rather buy it from them and shop around each year.
Don't know price in your area. 1.40-2.00 in Central IL. Most suppliers around here won't sell tanks as far as I know. After this weeks experience I actually don't know if a tank would pay for itself in my lifetime unless I found one for under $1000. Tank companies seem to want about $1500 for a refurbished 500 gal. tank plus delivery, $2000 for a 1000 gal. As long as my supplier is willing to match or come close to competitors on price, I'm staying with them. They don't charge rent on the tank and maintain it for me.

Kevin