Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #101  
Back to this old thread again... has anyone tried purchasing a tank recently. I still have my rented tank in the ground, but I don't want to continue with the company I have for another year. I finally found one company that has a tank to sell at about $5K installed. The current company would sell me their tank (15 years old) for about $2700.00. Used to be, not too long ago, that I heard of companies selling their rented tanks that old for under $1K. I'm thinking I'd rather buy a new one at extra cost that and old one for that price. Thoughts??

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #102  
Back to this old thread again... has anyone tried purchasing a tank recently. I still have my rented tank in the ground, but I don't want to continue with the company I have for another year. I finally found one company that has a tank to sell at about $5K installed. The current company would sell me their tank (15 years old) for about $2700.00. Used to be, not too long ago, that I heard of companies selling their rented tanks that old for under $1K. I'm thinking I'd rather buy a new one at extra cost that and old one for that price. Thoughts??
That seems really expensive. I sold my 20+ year old 500 gallon tank to the propane company last year for $800. They were going to install a new valve and paint it, then resell and install it for $1500.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #103  
???What size tank? New tanks around here sell for around $1500 for a 320 gallon. $5000, even installed, is ridiculous.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #104  
Hi coaster,

If that rental is and in-ground tank, as you wrote, they sure's heck don't want to come and pull it. I'd say you have them over a barrel of sorts and you're holding the cards. Around here, they won't put a rental in-ground, if you want one in the ground you have to buy it. (Mine is a 1,000 gal underground that cost me $5K installed about 8 years ago). So, I'd call their bluff. Tell them you'll give them $1000 for it or they can come take it out.

Having said that, you'd need to line-up at least a temporary tank first. Right now, at least in western Nevada, tanks are scare due to shipping and apparently most are being sourced in Mexico. I'd expect a a refurbished 1000 above ground to cost about $1,500, not sure of other size current pricing but tanks have been scarce.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #105  
???What size tank? New tanks around here sell for around $1500 for a 320 gallon. $5000, even installed, is ridiculous.
It's a 500 gallon tank. I'm in VA. Seems that places out west always report cheaper prices for tanks and installation. Here in VA, it's been hard to even track a 500 gallon tank down.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #106  
Hi coaster,

If that rental is and in-ground tank, as you wrote, they sure's heck don't want to come and pull it. I'd say you have them over a barrel of sorts and you're holding the cards. Around here, they won't put a rental in-ground, if you want one in the ground you have to buy it. (Mine is a 1,000 gal underground that cost me $5K installed about 8 years ago). So, I'd call their bluff. Tell them you'll give them $1000 for it or they can come take it out.

Having said that, you'd need to line-up at least a temporary tank first. Right now, at least in western Nevada, tanks are scare due to shipping and apparently most are being sourced in Mexico. I'd expect a a refurbished 1000 above ground to cost about $1,500, not sure of other size current pricing but tanks have been scarce.
I don't think they REALLY want to come and dig up their tank, but with tanks being scarce (as you say), maybe that's changed in the last couple years. I think once when I was talking to them, they wanted to charge me a fee to come out and dig up THEIR tank and haul it off. How crazy is that?

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #107  
I don't think they REALLY want to come and dig up their tank, but with tanks being scarce (as you say), maybe that's changed in the last couple years. I think once when I was talking to them, they wanted to charge me a fee to come out and dig up THEIR tank and haul it off. How crazy is that?

Yeah, that's nuts. Like I said, try to line up a tank (even a rental), then call their bluff. Offer them $1K to buy it or tell them they can pull it and you expect the ground to look perfect when they're done (no holes).

Depending on how much gas you use, I suggest a big enough tank to take you through the year. That way you can buy once when it's cheapest (usually in late summer/early fall around here - though that was before all this government caused insanity, so I don't know what's going to happen going forward - November may help.

Last edited:
   / Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #108  
Good luck with buying a new one. Only 2 tank (bottle) manufacturers in existence, Manchester and Chemtrol and neither will sell an individual a bottle that I know of.

I own both of mine (above ground) and both started life as nurse tanks for AN. I bought them both at public auction.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #109  
Yeah, that's nuts. Like I said, try to line up a tank (even a rental), then call their bluff. Offer them $1K to buy it or tell them they can pull it and you expect the ground to look perfect when they're done (no holes).

Depending on how much gas you use, I suggest a big enough tank to take you through the year. That way you can buy once when it's cheapest (usually in late summer/early fall around here - though that was before all this government caused insanity, so I don't know what's going to happen going forward - November may help.
So I do have the one tank lined up, but it is costly. I'll go that route though, before paying $2700 for the used tank. We use around 300 gallons a year - sometimes a bit more. As far as the possible damage to my yard (and anything else), I understand that companies want to include a "Removal Damage Waiver" that exempts them from any damage to your yard, the gas line, etc. Again, that doesn't make sense for a tank that they own and they paid to have put in. I wonder what would happen if I refused to sign something like that and just put a tank above ground and left theirs there - LOL. I supposed I'd just have their tank sitting there underground doing nothing.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #110  
Paid $250 for the 500 gallon...

At the time contract signed in 1964 it had a purchase price.

30 years later and several gas owner changes they had to honor it after saying they don't sell tanks but we had it in writing...