Propane water heater?

/ Propane water heater?
@ponytug That's good info. I think I researched this a number of years ago and then promptly forgot it. As mentioned, the special no-stink anode rods work great but for probably less than a year. Fortunately, as soon as the water that was standing in the heater has been used we no longer have the issue. A couple of times we have lived in the cabin for a few months and it is never an issue.

I do believe we have a lot of calcium as well as sulfites as they build up in the sinks and toilet. Not in a major way though.

If we ever moved into the cabin long term I'd probably get a water softener and filter system.

@oosik When the water has been sitting in the heater for a few weeks it stinks big time. Rotten eggs. But, cold water straight from the well has no odor at all. It does have a strong mineral taste though that is stronger than typical 'mineral water'. It is a little off-putting. We use a Brita filter and that takes care of it. We still drink straight from the tap too but the taste is noticeable.

@RustyA Good info.

/ Propane water heater? #12  
Same here - N80. The hot water has the occasional slight odor - never the cold. The cold never has an "off taste" OR I just got use to it over the many years. The water never imparts a taste to any food and has never made me sick. Life is good.