Proposed ban on gas stoves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Proposed ban on gas stoves... #71  
A believe a federal agency needs to ban soda, since the "fizz" is CO2!

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #72  
Just know that there is a federal agency that kills Big Horn Sheep one year because there are too many and the kills Mountain Lions the next year because there are not enough Big Horn Sheep. That sort of circular logic is abundant in many parts of our society.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #73  
Banning gas stoves and more so gas heating appliances is complete insanity. Gas appliances make up like 60 percent of the national average for heating. The only reason it’s not close to 100 percent is lack of availability. But the electric grid is already struggling. Even putting electric cars aside for a minute putting 100 percent of the heating load on the electric grid will result in blackouts and people freezing to death. Even if people don’t literally freeze to death which a few will frozen pipes are still pretty catastrophic. Also natural gas and coal make up for about 60 percent of the electricity generation.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #74  
Maybe they need the saved gas to generate more electric...... or its more profitable for all concerned.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #75  
I'm not worried about future appliance requirements if they should change. My stove will last until it doesn't, then I'll buy whatever is the latest and greatest when that time comes.

Most of the stuff I've read say about 2/3 of the stoves in use are electric already.

I love my gas stove/oven/broiler. I use the range hood when it's on. No issues with headaches and such.

The electric stoves and ovens that I am used to seeing and have used, with resistance coils, suck for cooking. That includes the glass top ones that still have resistance coils under the glass.

With that said, induction stovetops are pretty nice. They heat up the pan much faster than gas, and cool down much faster as well. The temperature controls work very well compared to the old coil style electric. I like them!

About the only drawback I can see for myself is that it would require me to buy all new cookware that's induction compatible as I mostly use my old copper bottom Revereware. I do have a couple induction compatible non-stick frying pans, but that's about it.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #76  
Since concern seems to be based on non vented stoves putting fumes in homes the question in my mind is how long does a stove or oven have to operate to put dangerous levels of fumes in 1,000 square foot area? 10 minutes, half hour, etc.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #77  
Just know that there is a federal agency that kills Big Horn Sheep one year because there are too many and the kills Mountain Lions the next year because there are not enough Big Horn Sheep. That sort of circular logic is abundant in many parts of our society.
That's how they determine fish stocking in the great lakes each year.

If there aren't enough mountain lions to eat all the fish, they reduce stocking numbers for the year.

Wait, it's baitfish for the predator fish, but you get the idea. 🙃

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #78  
I think this is a case of well intended people not considering all of the ramifications of their societal "improvements". I am sure the facts will bore out that gas stoves reduce indoor air quality. I also tend to suspect the are evaluating the worst possible situations and present them as more common than they actually are.
One of the contributing factors to the rise of homelessness and the rising cost of housing are streams of regulations that are accurately aimed at improving the quality of the home while at same time taking them out of the range of affordability for some. I am not saying this is the cause of homelessness, but it is a little bit of fuel to make the flame bigger and needs to be part of all things considered.
It is very true that the cost of complying with all of the zoning and code regulations has increased the cost of housing and the lack of affordability contributes to homelessness.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #79  
Banning gas stoves and more so gas heating appliances is complete insanity. Gas appliances make up like 60 percent of the national average for heating. The only reason it’s not close to 100 percent is lack of availability. But the electric grid is already struggling. Even putting electric cars aside for a minute putting 100 percent of the heating load on the electric grid will result in blackouts and people freezing to death. Even if people don’t literally freeze to death which a few will frozen pipes are still pretty catastrophic. Also natural gas and coal make up for about 60 percent of the electricity generation.
According to the government...

47% of homes rely on natural gas for heating as of 2015.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #80  
Since concern seems to be based on non vented stoves putting fumes in homes the question in my mind is how long does a stove or oven have to operate to put dangerous levels of fumes in 1,000 square foot area? 10 minutes, half hour, etc.
Probably depends on how tightly the home is sealed, so would be hard to measure unless on a per-case basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.