pto backup generator

/ pto backup generator #31  
I had a well technician at my house yesterday to raise my well cap above grade. My well was drilled in the 1950s and the cap was below ground, rainwater runoff and clay had been leaking through the cap and contaminating my well. The well cap is raised by removing the pump and welding on an extension pipe, then reinstalling the pump.

Well, excuse the pun, the technician couldn't get their 15KW gas generator started to run their ARC Welder. My Yanmar LX and PTO generator to the rescue! In about 10 minutes I had the PTO generator hooked up and in place. A home standby generator wouldn't of been much use in this situation. :D

20180829_140605.jpgextension.jpg

/ pto backup generator #32  
Good job...

I use mine to run my welder too, and as I can have lights going and a helper running a grinder as I weld, it's VERY handy.

All running, on my diesel tractor sipping diesel fuel...

SR

/ pto backup generator #33  
Not apples to apples but I tried a cheap 10KW unit on my JD 855 and was way less than happy. The gearbox on the generator was super noisy and I had to run my tractor above regular PTO speed to maintain 58hz under load.

You tractor would run one with no problem I'm sure. I would spring for teh higher price and quality of an 1800 RPM unit though.

I ended up with a stand alone 10KW diesel military unit that will run everything I need in an outage. When the power goes out I just walk out back and hit the key then go inside to the panel to flip a few breakers and we are back in business. With a PTO generator you could leave it connected to the house but will have to connect to the tractor to get going.

These Perkins generators look like a good deal if you can afford new.

/ pto backup generator #34  
There ARE high quality 3,600 rpm pto generators, I have one.

As for hooking it up, just back the tractor up to it, hook the pto shaft and start the pto..

Not too big a deal as far as I'm concerned, especially when you consider the money saved....

SR

/ pto backup generator #35  
For the people that run pto generators.....trailer unit or 3-point mount?

/ pto backup generator #37  
For the people that run pto generators.....trailer unit or 3-point mount?

The most important thing is that the PTO shaft and yokes are close to level. Too much angle and you'll notice voltage fluctuation in any lighting you're powering, the lights will pulse or flicker a little.

With the three point mount its easy to adjust the PTO shaft height and angle, but when I move the unit into a corner of the garage I wish it had wheels. I keep my three point unit on a moving dolly when storing it in the garage.

Ultimately for me it came down to cost. With the Rural King unit I got the complete package: generator, 3 point mount, and PTO shaft for only $999 plus shipping. I also got a 12% gift card rebate that I put towards a new chainsaw.

Last edited:
   / pto backup generator #38  
I prefer the trailer style,
it gives me more room hooking up the PTO,
also I can move it with a multitude of vehicles
and its easily transported.
Quick hookup; back up drop in a draw pin, crank up the jack hookup PTO
and its ready to make power.

/ pto backup generator #39  
Mines on a trailer right now, the reason is, I can also set my welder and tools on that trailer and power it where even I want. I can still pull it to the house and power that too...

I see no reason the gen set can't be put in a small room/bld. or even a water proof box near your house like a dedicated genset is. Then just back up to the box, extend the pto shaft out, hook it and power your whole house just like a dedicated genset.

I've seen folks mount the genset in the garage with a small door through the wall to run the pto shaft out, to power it.

SR

/ pto backup generator #40  
The Onan unit I bought years ago was like that. A hole in the wall of a chicken barn for the shaft and the set sitting on concrete blocks!